You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
Can't run most games at non-native resolutions.
Botonoski commented on 4 December 2017 at 1:28 pm UTC

When I use the proprietary nvidia drivers I lose the ability to change the resolution below the native res in a large portions of my game library. I can of course change the resolution in nvida-settings and xrandr, but switching the resolution then starting a game will often just force the game into windowed mode and not go fullscreen until I change it back to the native resolution.

I'm led to believe by this source that this is a result of nvidia's driver (as of v304) only reporting scaled resolutions on older versions of RandR, so an applications written before this driver change doesn't receive those available resolutions unless you're using those earlier versions of RandR.

I've googled around quite a bit trying to find a solution to this problem and haven't found anything that involves keeping my current drivers. Maybe no one else is having this issue? Maybe I'm the only person who needs to lower the res a bit to run games? Are my only options are to either switch over to the noveau drivers or rollback the nvidia driver?

Xpander commented on 4 December 2017 at 1:37 pm UTC

im using nvidia drivers also on a 2560x1440 monitor and im able to use all weird resolutions in games i played.
do you have example of game where it screws up for example? whats your nvidia settings conf? nvidia-auto-select?

Ehvis commented on 4 December 2017 at 3:27 pm UTC

The nvidia drivers report everything that is included in the EDID info from your monitor. The "scaled" modes refer to resolutions that run over the timings of another resolution. An extremely useful thing since you can configure your display exactly the way you want to. Unfortunately, xorg/xrandr does not allow all the things that the nvidia driver can do with viewportin/viewportout and you can't store these pseudo modes, making them unavailable (and misunderstood) in applications. In my opinion, this is something that needs to be addressed in xorg/xrandr.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Official Livestreams
  • Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - the final attempt?
  • Date:
Community Livestreams
  • RPGoodness: "Dragon Age Origins" (via Wine)
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook