Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
what is your personal computer history in periods?
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
GustyGhost Aug 9, 2018
Quoting: tonR-snip-

Family PC probably rotting in a garbage fill being sorted through by underpaid laborers. Despite being lower end, you probably saw a world of difference going from that 4350 to the R7 240?
tonR Aug 9, 2018
Quoting: GustyGhostFamily PC probably rotting in a garbage fill being sorted through by underpaid laborers. Despite being lower end, you probably saw a world of difference going from that 4350 to the R7 240?
It's like day and night. For example, Euro Truck Simulator 2 on HD 4350 would struggling to get 15-20 FPS even everything set on low. With R7 240, 20-30 FPS on medium setting are achievable.

If set everything high (except antialiasing off), 12 FPS stable still can be achieved. But, just don't "drive" the "truck" at night, it's dangerous to drive with 5 FPS. It's like drunk driving, hahaha..
robvv Aug 10, 2018
I can't recall half of the systems I used to have, but here's what I can remember :-)

Second-hand Sinclair ZX81 with memory pack.

Acorn Electron with Slogger Plus 1 and 5 1/4" external disk drive! I managed to run a fair few pirated BBC games on this thing as well :-)

Late 1990
Olivetti PCS 286 with VGA adaptor and both 3 1/2" and 5 1/4" drives. The actual CPU was an NEC V30 running at 12MHz. Served me well for a couple of years.

Also used my brother's 486 on-and-off.

Purchased a Pentium 60, built by Time Computers. Can't remember the full specs of this machine.

Upgraded to a Pentium 90.

c.1996
Upgraded to a Pentium Pro. These were quite awesome but underrated CPUs.

At some point I invested in a Supermicro tower case (twice!). It really was quite imposing.

1996 - 2006
My system by this time was handbuilt and I just kept swapping out components as I needed to, so I really cannot remember much about what I had. I do remember getting a 3dfx Voodoo3 during 1999, though. Quake looked awesome :-)

The OS progressed from Win95, Win98, WinME (briefly) and WinXP until mid-2006 when I recklessly backed up all of my data and switched to OpenSUSE 10.2 in one day!

During this period I was also using SCSI hard disks. Much more expensive but *very* fast. Sadly I couldn't keep it up and now use slow old SATA ;-)

2007 - 2016
At some point I switched to AMD CPUs but I really cannot remember what my various systems were!

2016 onwards
My current system is an AMD FX-9370 with 16Gb RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 graphics card, Roccat keyboard and mouse, 7Tb HD space, Logitech F710, Steam Controller and both a tv and monitor connected. OS is OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.

I couldn't be happier!
lucinos Aug 11, 2018
I've done a very small edit using spoilers to make it easier for the eye and mentioning my new desktop
Koopacabras Aug 13, 2018
286/386/486-dx2 (AMD) /dx4 (AMD) (AMD made the best 486, that's when the <3 started), at my father's shop.

Pentium166/200 at my father's shop.

Amd K6-350/ K6-2+-550
<3 (I even installed windows vista on it, granted it was unusable, but hey it could be installed!!:D ) I remember it had a sis530 onboard vid card (worst video card ever)
https://www.ebay.com/p/PC-Chips-M598LMR-Socket-7-Motherboard-SIS-530-Chipset-With-ISA-System-Board/659494155

Duron 800mhz then Athlon-XP Thunderbird, then Athlon-XP mobile I had maybe two or three mobos, I remember having a VIA KM266 chipset, but I can't remember which mobos. (that's when I started using linux with opensuse 9.2). Athlon XP's Mobile were really good for overclocking. It was the golden era of AMD when socket A was the king. Socket A started with 100mhz FSB and at it final days it had 333mhz FSB, so going from an old socket A mobo to a 266mhz was quite and upgrade, more than twice FSB speed.

Athlon64 <3 that's when I started using 64 bit os. I had socket 754 and socket 939.
I had a Asus K8NSE, and a MSI K8-Neo Platinum (best mother I had) https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/K8N_Neo4F_PCB_1.0.html

AthlonII
(socket AM2) first I had this mobo https://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68-S/index.es.asp , then this mobo https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-D3-rev-10-11#ov

AMD Fx6300

AMD Ryzen 1600 AB350-Gaming

(Never had a commodore, I hate apple )

First time I assembled an Intel was three years ago, and I thought what d heck! how can u have the pins soldered to the mobo, Intel you sick bastards!!

To be fair the first thing I had at my home was a second hand 8bit Nintendo.
Koopacabras Aug 13, 2018
Sorry I went a little bit off topic. Just deleted a few posts.
tonR Aug 13, 2018
Quoting: chancho_zombieSorry I went a little bit off topic. Just deleted a few posts.
Nahh.. I already saw your Game Boy. I suggesting you keep it instead of selling it (unless you're really need money). Price will going up and up as more people are looking for one especially if it's functional.
lucifertdark Sep 15, 2018
Early 1974 Atari Pong, my Dad worked in the toy industry at the time & managed to get his hands on one of the first machines in the country & brought it home so we could test it before it went mass market. Happy days. :D

1983 Commodore 64 (wish I'd never got rid of it as the games & music made for it were brilliant.

1993 SEGA Mega Drive (Genesis) with the Mega-CD attachment, Sonic the Hedgehog got a lot of abuse from my & my kids.

1995 Packard Bell 486 DX (quickly upgraded to the SX) running DOS & Windows 3.1, DOOOOOOOOOOOM, my first taste of FPS gaming.

1998 - present a series of self built machines running everything from Windows 3.1, XP, 7, 8, 8.1 & since 2006 dual booting Ubuntu.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.