You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Getting together with some Friends
tweakedenigma Sep 3, 2010
Getting together with some Friends

Getting together with some Friends this weekend. We are gonna have some drinks and play some console games.

So I thought I might find out what my fellow forum members favorite console games to play (as well as their favorite drinks).

Tonight will likely be Mario Cart, Mario Party, & some select classics of the Sega Mega Collection with a side of Sleemans Honey Brown Lager.
MaximB Sep 5, 2010
Re: Getting together with some Friends

Console games huh.....
I got 100's of PS2 games and only maybe 10 of them are worthy of my time.
I like fighting games like Tekken, KOF and SF.
I can't play 1st person shooters on consoles, it's just so hard to aim without a mice.

If you mean old console games then I love SNK's fighting games like Samurai Shodown /Samurai Spirits, KOF, Fatal Fury, Last Blade and others...
The SF games are also very cool.
Liam Dawe Sep 5, 2010

Me the the Girlfriend to tend play Borderlands together on the Xbox, it's the main reason i have one for two player stuff for when friends come over and that.

I actually don't mind FPS on consoles, i have Bad Company 2 on Xbox and it is pretty awesome. That is something Linux desperatly needs in my eyes - a realistic/fun shooter.

I also prefer Wine to Beer, Rose to be exact.
MaximB Sep 5, 2010

Quoting: liamdaweMe the the Girlfriend to tend play Borderlands together on the Xbox, it's the main reason i have one for two player stuff for when friends come over and that.

I actually don't mind FPS on consoles, i have Bad Company 2 on Xbox and it is pretty awesome. That is something Linux desperatly needs in my eyes - a realistic/fun shooter.

I also prefer Wine to Beer, Rose to be exact.

We got SO many FPS games that it's the genre that we least need right now.
RPG's, good commercial RTS and TBS games are much more preferred.

I remember trying playing "Call of Duty 4" (if I recall the name) on PS2, after the tutorial I was dead within 20 seconds - aiming is just so hard without a mice.
Which reminds me how I was playing Doom2, Duke3D and Blood WITHOUT a mice and enjoyed them.
But I guess once you are getting used to something good, you can't go back.

XBOX?! I won't even respond to this .....traitor ;)
Hamish Sep 5, 2010

Quoting: MaximBWe got SO many FPS games that it's the genre that we least need right now.
RPG's, good commercial RTS and TBS games are much more preferred.

All such statements are subjective of course, I myself would be happy if a million more shooters became available, but that is because I am a major FPS player. I have not been impressed by commercial RTS games in a long time, and I did not even know that there were still commercial TBS games that were not just remakes of older titles (except for some of the indies, which we are likely to get anyway). And I have never been a big RPG player, though I have enjoyed what I have played of Eschalon. So I myself are quite happy that shooters are over represented. But as I said, such sentiments are subjective. And as a counterpoint I did enjoy Penumbra just as much as any of the shooters that I play. :mrgreen:
Rustybolts Sep 24, 2010

Theres loads of online multiplayer fps but what linux is really lacking is a good single player story based fps. In fact most linux games lack the good story, something you can get your teeth into. Its probably why i enjoyed the Eschalon and Penumbra games so much.
Hamish Sep 24, 2010

While it is true that there are more multiplayer oriented shooters available for Linux, there are several single-player ones, but unfortunately they are mostly just commercial, especially if you want them to be somewhat story focused. Of the top of my head, Shogo (from Hyperion, available from TuxGames) is probably one of the more story focused ones available. There is also SiN (also available from Hyperion, though the port can be hard to use, currently waiting for LIFLG to finish their installers) and Soldier of Fortune (from Loki, though getting hard to find). There is also the id software titles like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Doom 3, and Quake 4. And of course there is also Prey (thank you icculus!). I have not tried the port, but I also believe Kingpin has a bit of plot work to it. And of course that is just off the top of my head.
Rustybolts Sep 24, 2010

Yeah i have Doom 3 and Castle Wolfenstein. Doom 3 is about as much as my system can take at the moment hopefully remedied sometime after xmas. Ill have to check system specs on Prey. Shogo and Sin i will have to check them out. Caster and Serious Sam series have a story of sorts. Then theres Quake n Quake 2 not much of a story but single player.

Single player level based fps free games there is not much ........errrm Freedoom Marathon series and errr Excalibur Morganas Revenge
Hamish Sep 24, 2010

Prey uses the id Tech 4 engine, same as Doom 3 and Quake 4, so you may want to hold off on getting that until you get better hardware lined up. SiN and Shogo should be fine, I have many fond memories of running Shogo from my good ol' ATI Radeon 9200 card (still a nice workhorse). Actually, now that I have my Radeon HD 3650 I have to cap my frame-rate in order to make Shogo run properly, as the voice dialogues overlapped each other and the enemies reaction times were dangerously fast.

[url="http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Shogo_Guides#Slowing_down_the_game"]http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Sh ... n_the_game[/url]

Quoting: RustyboltsSingle player level based fps free games there is not much ........errrm Freedoom Marathon series and errr Excalibur Morganas Revenge

Well, there is also some other FreeDoom like projects such as Blasphemer, but for the most part I agree with you. Asking for proper plot work might be a bit much for some projects, but you think we could have at least a few more single-player free shooters.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.