Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Chipset/CPU/LAN/mainbaord driver quality Intel vs AMD
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
HerrLange Jan 6, 2018
THX for all the replyes so far. Good to hear that there seems to be no special issues so far with AMD. I'm lacking any experince with AMD since them since my switch to intels core CPUs.

Quoting: GuppyI'm curious what do you mean motherboard drivers support? - In 21 years I have never had Linux not work due to the motherboard nor have I ever loaded any special drivers to it.
[...]

Mainly I'm still suffering from a nightmare with my Athlon XP and Linux more than a decade ago. :-)

However there is another company where just the name is causing bad feelings: Realtek Semiconductor. I had issues with:
- LAN Chips (Okay this seems to be solved so far)
- WLAN is still a nightmare
- 4 Years ago I remember issues with the HD audio chipsets with my actual PC - I ended up by disabling onboard sound and buying an external DAC. I know the issue is fixed meanwhile but I'm used to my DAC, HDMI audio and an USB headset.

Every Time I installed Linux on a peace of hardware containing a quite new realtek chip I was suffering with the drivers. It feels like that it take ages for getting solid drivers for realtek stuff and many of them never become part of the Kernel because they are not open.

Most other issues I'm currently remebering are more or less laptop specific like synaptic touch pad etc.

From my work I also have only experience with Intel stuff

Maybe I'm just to long with Linux and have to many bad experinces but I'm still evaluating if it runs under Linux before buying a peace of hardware.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.