You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Value laptop
buenaventura Jan 18, 2018
Dear Forum,

In a previous thread I was first looking at buying a System76 laptop, but later discovered problems with importing it to my home in Sweden. Also, my budget ambition shrank somewhat. That thread became clogged. Thus my issue morphed, and now I present to you a different set of questions.

My budget shrank, I am now looking at trying to stay under ca. 800 dollars if possible. My main goal is slightly increasing my gaming potential compared to my current Acer Aspire e15 (AMD A8-6410 quadcore "up to 2.4ghz", 8gb RAM, Radeon Mullins with "1gb dedicated VRAM").

With my new laptop, I would like to play Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, Pillars of Eternity, XCOM2, Superhot, Signal from Tölva and the like on low/medium settings, but smooth.

I would prefer a computer with linux pre-installed, but I cannot find any cheap ones. The best I've found is this:
GGS-Data Style-Note N240WU-8250 (Intel® Core™ i5-8250U 1,6 GHz, 6 MB Cache, "Kaby Lake-R" + Intel® UHD Graphics 620
But it is probably too expensive at around a 1000 dollars.

The questions is, should I go for a semi-new but budget laptop like:
1. the Acer Aspire 5 15,6" HD (Radeon RX540,AMD A10-9620P Quad Core,8GB RAM,128GB SSD) and just nuke the windows out of it and call it a day? Is that one good enough? I'ts like my current one but new. Nice to have open source drivers, they seem to support the RX540 well. Also, on a related note, for a 100 dollars more you get fullhd instead of hd, but that does not matter does it? I do not care about eyecandy.
2. Or should I go for an cheap Intel one with integrated graphics?

Or should I look at the second hand market? I found this one on "blocket", a swedish second hand site, it's a Asus ROG G771JW (Intel core i7, 2,6 ghz 4:th generation, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M) for 800 dollars. Good value, or is the old cpu much worse than a newer generation?

Where do I get the best value?

Perhaps I should just wait a couple of years and get a fancy new one later. My current one does play many games already... At what time during the year is it best to buy new laptops?
crt0mega Jan 18, 2018
My vote goes for option #1 but that used Asus ROG doesn't look bad either. If you choose to wait: Mobile Ryzen is coming soon, IIRC.
MaCroX95 Jan 18, 2018
I certainly wouldn't recommend any laptop that has Optimus technology (Nvidia laptops) for linux, since I had one before and never got HDMI sound working. Also switching the GPUs by logging out is extremely annoying. If you can go with AMD I think it's better for headache-less linux experience.
crt0mega Jan 18, 2018
Quoting: MaCroX95I certainly wouldn't recommend any laptop that has Optimus technology (Nvidia laptops) for linux, since I had one before and never got HDMI sound working. Also switching the GPUs by logging out is extremely annoying. If you can go with AMD I think it's better for headache-less linux experience.
Good point.
Quoting: crt0megaMy vote goes for option #1 but that used Asus ROG doesn't look bad either. If you choose to wait: Mobile Ryzen is coming soon, IIRC.

So what will happen when Mobile Ryzen arrives? The one I linked to might get cheaper I guess? Or will they have budget ryzen ones?

What do you think about buying used laptops in general, is a 2 year old CPU crappy today or how long do they last?

I think I will stay away from NVIDIA, the radeon driver has always impressed me.
I found a local "cheap computer" store, that has this for example:

http://www.billigteknik.se/samtliga-modeller/16751-hp-elitebook-8470p-beg.html

And other semi-old used company computers. I guess I could go there with a USB-key with a live linux and try some, and find a really good deal. Seems to be mostly Intel there, if I want to play Shadow Tactics smoothly, what is the earliest model intel cpu+gpu I could get? Signal from Tölva? (if at all?)
crt0mega Jan 18, 2018
Quoting: buenaventuraSo what will happen when Mobile Ryzen arrives? The one I linked to might get cheaper I guess? Or will they have budget ryzen ones?
I suspect hope there will be budget Ryzen ones. Time will tell.

Quoting: buenaventuraWhat do you think about buying used laptops in general, is a 2 year old CPU crappy today or how long do they last?
Depends. A powerful 2 years old CPU should still do fine I guess, RAM can be upgraded usually. An old GPU might be an issue, they seem to age faster than CPUs xD My first laptop was an used IBM R40 and it served me well until it died (the second time).

Quoting: buenaventurawhat is the earliest model intel cpu+gpu I could get?
I don't know, sorry :/
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.