You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
  Go to:
Relaxing Games
razing32 commented on 5 March 2018 at 12:02 am UTC

I write this after a major DC I manage had a massive outage and I think to myself what I can play in the hour or so before bed.
And I realize I have no ideas.
What do you play when your eyeballs are falling out of your skull with exhaustion and you need to unwind ?

rcgamer commented on 5 March 2018 at 3:39 am UTC

I think Life Is Strange is relaxing to play. You could always just go to bed if you're eyeballs are falling out of your head from exhaustion.

riusma commented on 5 March 2018 at 10:11 am UTC

Mini Metro, an exigent and relaxing game!

razing32 commented on 5 March 2018 at 10:26 am UTC

rcgamerI think Life Is Strange is relaxing to play. You could always just go to bed if you're eyeballs are falling out of your head from exhaustion.

I eventually did that.
Did manage to squeeze in 15 mins of Organ Trail before though.

whizse commented on 5 March 2018 at 7:40 pm UTC

Why not Outlast?

I think Osmos would be a good candidate for relaxation. The soundtrack is nice and soothing too.

Ehvis commented on 5 March 2018 at 8:54 pm UTC

I've been using Stardew Valley for that exact purpose. Play a couple of in-game days to unwind a bit before sleep.

jens commented on 5 March 2018 at 10:04 pm UTC

I guess European/American Truck Simulator could do the trick too.

Marky commented on 5 March 2018 at 10:27 pm UTC

Streets of Rogue worked well for me. Also the Saint's Row games. I find in general any comedic game is great for unwinding.

g000h commented on 6 March 2018 at 3:46 pm UTC

Not exactly "relaxing" but I tend to play games which are fairly difficult / hard-core but don't take me lots of effort to engage with them.

Crypt of the Necrodancer - You can play it with ONE HAND. Now, I guess there are some fnarr fnarr comments to go with that statement, but I find it perfect for having a pint / drinking a coffee or tea / eating snacks while playing relatively casually. It is very unforgiving though, so you need to be quick-witted to really play it. Also, I find it very addictive and easy to play (for 5-30 minutes) and then put it down again.

FTL (Faster Than Light) - I have played this games for hundreds of hours, but there are still achievements I haven't finished yet. Only the other day I completed the game (kill the final boss) with the Zoltan Layout C space-ship (Quite difficult to do, as the ship is pretty weak when you begin and you're quite affected by RNG early on.) I like the Pause mechanic and the fact I can stop the game, and start exactly where I stopped. I play this in 10 min-3 hour sessions.

SkyForce Anniversary or Reloaded - Again, this is a difficult hard-core game (arcade shoot em up), but I find it okay to play when I'm relatively tired and play for a short-ish time (e.g. 5-30 minutes).

Kingdom Classic or New Lands - Some more ONE HANDED goodness. But, seeing as I've never completed it, I guess despite its casual nature, it is pretty difficult.

Race The Sun - Again, this is difficult requiring fast reactions, but is easy to get stuck in, play for a few minutes. One handed too ;)

Reigns - Swipe left or right game.

Refunct - Jump around game.

The sort of games I don't like to play, when I'm feeling tired, are complicated or long-story/side-quest based ones. I'd not be happy to play Dying Light, Hitman, Tomb Raider 2013, Mad Max, Torchlight 2 - for instance. Also, I'd tend to steer away from games where I'm not familiar with the mechanics / strategy or there are issues with being able to save your exact position (to return later). For example - RUST - you can't really stop playing when you want, because you need to return to your base before saving (and you could be 30 minutes real-time journey away from your base.)

scaine commented on 6 March 2018 at 9:04 pm UTC

I can recommend either of the Kingdom Rush games. Very relaxing to play, easy mechanics to remember, fairly short (30 min) sessions.

razing32 commented on 8 March 2018 at 9:42 am UTC

g000hNot exactly "relaxing" but I tend to play games which are fairly difficult / hard-core but don't take me lots of effort to engage with them.

Crypt of the Necrodancer - You can play it with ONE HAND. Now, I guess there are some fnarr fnarr comments to go with that statement, but I find it perfect for having a pint / drinking a coffee or tea / eating snacks while playing relatively casually. It is very unforgiving though, so you need to be quick-witted to really play it. Also, I find it very addictive and easy to play (for 5-30 minutes) and then put it down again.

FTL (Faster Than Light) - I have played this games for hundreds of hours, but there are still achievements I haven't finished yet. Only the other day I completed the game (kill the final boss) with the Zoltan Layout C space-ship (Quite difficult to do, as the ship is pretty weak when you begin and you're quite affected by RNG early on.) I like the Pause mechanic and the fact I can stop the game, and start exactly where I stopped. I play this in 10 min-3 hour sessions.

SkyForce Anniversary or Reloaded - Again, this is a difficult hard-core game (arcade shoot em up), but I find it okay to play when I'm relatively tired and play for a short-ish time (e.g. 5-30 minutes).

Kingdom Classic or New Lands - Some more ONE HANDED goodness. But, seeing as I've never completed it, I guess despite its casual nature, it is pretty difficult.

Race The Sun - Again, this is difficult requiring fast reactions, but is easy to get stuck in, play for a few minutes. One handed too ;)

Reigns - Swipe left or right game.

Refunct - Jump around game.

The sort of games I don't like to play, when I'm feeling tired, are complicated or long-story/side-quest based ones. I'd not be happy to play Dying Light, Hitman, Tomb Raider 2013, Mad Max, Torchlight 2 - for instance. Also, I'd tend to steer away from games where I'm not familiar with the mechanics / strategy or there are issues with being able to save your exact position (to return later). For example - RUST - you can't really stop playing when you want, because you need to return to your base before saving (and you could be 30 minutes real-time journey away from your base.)

Thanks for the suggestions.
The problem is not the time taken , but the reflexes needed.
If i play tired at the end of the day with half my brain off , results won't be stellar shall we say.
I agree on Regins , I even forgot i had them , thanks for reminding me.
Also , did not try Kingdom yet. Might be worth a go.

scaineI can recommend either of the Kingdom Rush games. Very relaxing to play, easy mechanics to remember, fairly short (30 min) sessions.

True it starts out like that , but i feel the pain around the halfway point of the game.
If i recall the first Kingdom Rush it was around the point of the mountains. I had to replay that mission like 4 times.
Also , when are we getting the Elven one on Linux :-P

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
None currently, submit yours here!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts