Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
would like some advice for building a desktop
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
lucinos Mar 14, 2018
currently my strongest computer is my signature laptop :/

So I want to build a desktop. I have not built a desktop for a long time... I would like some help/advice/tips/suggestions/etc

what are my requirements or preferences.

It will only run Linux. No windows. This is absolute. So how good or bad is any choice it only matters on linux.

I want it to be as modern as possible. So I am not really looking at any old hardware that may seem more cost-effective. On the other hand it has to be supported on linux and not very expensive.

I will do some gaming on it. I would say as a requirement example that Dirt Rally should run reasonably well.

I want to keep the cost as low as possible

Currently I am thinking for an i3-8100 with a gtx 1050ti. I am not getting a 1060 as it is too expensive, I would consider a 1050 to keep the cost lower, how much worse is it?

I need some advice for MB
I also need box, monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse etc...
Xpander Mar 14, 2018
get a 1050Ti with 4GB vram, 2GB is quite on the edge for todays standards even at 1080p and if you want some futureproof into it.

i3-8100 is fine, but if you do other tasks with your PC also that need more cores you might want to check AMD cpus.
Ryzen 1500X for example is with a similar(about 30 more) price to this but has 4 cores and 8 threads and possibility to overclock even with the default stock cooler to about 3.8ghz, with 20-30€ aftermarket cooler 3.9-4.0ghz.
what is you total pricerange?

something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Cb9wV6

motherboard can be cheaper, rams you can get a bit cheaper even and PSU can be cheaper and ofc monitor can be cheaper, you didnt detail what you exactly want, what size, IPS/TN/VA whatever?

i didn't include keyboard/mouse cause you didn't list what you expect from them, mechanical? gaming? RGB?
lucinos Mar 14, 2018
Quoting: Xpanderi3-8100 is fine, but if you do other tasks with your PC also that need more cores you might want to check AMD cpus.
I am not determined against amd cpus. But I am towards the i3, because
a) it is cheaper, it is a lot cheaper where I am, or more precize ryzen are a lot more expensive than they should be, but I have not really checked the different price for motherboard and memory.
b) I like that it has an igpu although not really needed
c) maybe I am FUD victim because of: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/3207

Quotei didn't include keyboard/mouse cause you didn't list what you expect from them, mechanical? gaming? RGB?
I am not a hardcore gamer and I do not have any special requirements for keyboards/mouse. I do not really need advice for that. I need some advice for monitor. The monitor will be 1080p for sure and 22-24'' no doubt. But I know very little about the other specs. for example how different is 1ms to 5ms? I have no idea. I am not a hardcore gamer and I will not through too much money but I want it to be a decent system.
Xpander Mar 14, 2018
Those freeze issues are not a concern for newer cpus and if you want with IGP then Ryzen 2200G is around 99€ comes with GPU thats more powerful than any intel offering.

the thing with i3 is, that its fine for most games but its not futureproof at all and as we all know intel likes to change sockets, so later when you want to upgrade you have to get new motherboard etc.. AMD said they support the same socket with all upcoming processors until 2020 iirc. also more cores is good for vulkan api and having your OS have some breathing room for other tasks. thatshy i would pick ryzen myself.

about keyboard mouse, just buy some cheap ones then :)

monitor 1ms and 5ms you probably dont feel the difference 5ms is usually IPS panels with better color accuracy and 1ms is usually TN panels with less color accuracy.
Avehicle7887 Mar 14, 2018
CPU: In my opinion the i3-8100 isn't worth it, The new AMD 2400G performs on par and in some cases even beats it without going much higher in price. More than that, you also have 8 threads which provides a better all round environment for multi tasking. Since there's a big price difference at your location I can understand why you'd want to go with Intel, in part I have the same issue in my country (Malta), it seems 90% of computer shops here are Intel fanboys and they only stock Ryzen 1700 or better CPUs, anything mid-low range is either overpriced or "on order".

As a bonus you also get a great iGPU with the 2400G, while it's still a bit rough on Linux, it will get better in time just like a fine wine. As for the freezing thread you linked, 10 days ago I updated my bios to the latest and haven't had a single freeze so far and I do torture my PC quite a lot when it's on. Even before the bios update, I had the freeze like once in a week. I don't think 2nd Gen will be affected by this.

GPU: AMD Linux supports keeps getting better and better, if you will be running Arch (as suggest by your distro icon) I don't think you'll have any issues upgrading Mesa. However should you go with Nvidia, the 1050 Ti is an excellent choice, also agreeing with Xpander here, 4GB is pretty much needed if you plan to play modern games and if you want it to last a bit longer.

Monitor: After being a TN panel user since forever, last year I switched to an IPS setup and the difference in colors is incredible. Don't let that "5ms" scare you.

Case: Don't cheap out on the case, look for something that has filters in the front, the top and under the PSU. Also make sure they're easily removable for cleaning. I once made the mistake of buying the cheapest case I could, big mistake as it was a dust magnet and cleaning it was a pain. I'm running a Corsair 400C which so far I found very good, the insides barely got any dust in almost a year and it's easy to take apart for cleaning. The Fractal Design - Define C is also another of my favorites.
razing32 Mar 15, 2018
Edit - removed
lucinos Mar 15, 2018
Thank you very much for the help, the info about the monitors was usefull :) I would still like some more advice about the PSU and motherboard, what should I be really careful?

About the CPU. In my location the prices and availability are a bit different. My choices currently (I will have to see that again of course as I will buy the desktop probably in a month)

a) i3-8100
This is the only meaningful choice on that price range

If I am going to spend some more money I have three more choices

b) ryzen 5 1500X
c) i5-8400
d) ryzen 5 1600

this is actually sorted by their price(!) although they are close.

ryzen 5 2200G here will be more expensive than i3-8100 and I do not see it to be any better
ryzen 5 2400G is a bit more expensive than ryzen 5 1600 so probably does not worth it.
Xpander Mar 15, 2018
Motherboard choice is tricky if we havent decided on the CPU yet. if you go with i3 8100 then some super cheap intel mobo will do i think as this cpu is not overclockable anyway. I still wouldnt recommend to go with i3 these days, i5 minimum or ryzen.

PSU, you probably want quite cheap also and not chasing modular ones. get anything from 500W and up and 80 plus bronze or up i'd say.
do not buy noname ones though. Common brands: Corsair, EvGA, Cooler Master, Seasonic, Silverstone, Thermaltake.
tuubi Mar 15, 2018
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: Avehicle7887Case: Don't cheap out on the case, look for something that has filters in the front, the top and under the PSU. Also make sure they're easily removable for cleaning. I once made the mistake of buying the cheapest case I could, big mistake as it was a dust magnet and cleaning it was a pain. I'm running a Corsair 400C which so far I found very good, the insides barely got any dust in almost a year and it's easy to take apart for cleaning.
I have a 400Q which is quite similar and it’s definitely not worth the high price. It’s supposed to block noise but it doesn’t, the ports on top get all the dust, the filters are hard to remove and the HDDs are only accessible from the right :-/.
I can vouch for the Fractal Design Define series, but they're not exactly cheap. I've got the R4, and the front filter is really easy to clean. The bottom filter doesn't need cleaning because the PSU (Corsair RM750) basically never spins up. The case is also super quiet.
Avehicle7887 Mar 15, 2018
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: Avehicle7887Case: Don't cheap out on the case, look for something that has filters in the front, the top and under the PSU. Also make sure they're easily removable for cleaning. I once made the mistake of buying the cheapest case I could, big mistake as it was a dust magnet and cleaning it was a pain. I'm running a Corsair 400C which so far I found very good, the insides barely got any dust in almost a year and it's easy to take apart for cleaning.
I have a 400Q which is quite similar and it’s definitely not worth the high price. It’s supposed to block noise but it doesn’t, the ports on top get all the dust, the filters are hard to remove and the HDDs are only accessible from the right :-/.

I checked it out, it seems to be non Windowed version of the 400C. I paid about 105e for mine which is acceptable for what it offers. Removing the face to access the front filters isn't very practical but at least it gets the job done. I've had this idea of using an open air system for my next build, it will either be make or break with the dust problem.
Adamfx990 Mar 16, 2018
For Linux builds, I tend to favour AMD CPUs as the multi-core performance is generally more useful and they dissipate heat a lot better than most Intel CPUs. :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.