You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
[solved] Rise of the Tomb Raider: steam controller not working
donbastiano Apr 26, 2018
Hi,

the steam controller doesn't work with this game while it is working fine with others games, I just tested Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and Tomb Raider. Anyhow I tried (re)changing the udev rule as in the past (https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/3087) but I didn't notice any difference.
Any idea? The strange thing is that if I hold L2 and move the controller the cursor is moving(!?).

I'm on Ubuntu 18.04
Radeon RX 570 Series (POLARIS10 / DRM 3.23.0 / 4.15.0-20-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.0.0-rc5
Vulkan Instance Version: 1.1.70 (radv)

BTW:
- in the menu the anti-alias is not really good neither with SSAA 4x (just for test), i.e see the table or the third shelf in the image below, and there is a problem with white pixel especially when it is lightning, see also the bike. I hope the game is better, I don't know, maybe it is a driver/version problem. The image is with FXAA on FHD. In the benchmark I only saw a little similar problem on the left "deck" in Syria. In the last benchmark, Geothermal Valley, some shadow and vegetation just appear suddenly. Do you have a similar rendering problem?

- I'm also just a bit afraid after the firsts benchmarks that are a little variable. On high settings the scene is not really fluid also if the fps counter is showing decent numbers, there something like micro-pause and at the end the minimum is around 15 but with the average around 60. I guess I'll see...
damarrin Apr 26, 2018
Can't say anything about it, the controller works fine for me. Have you tried running the game from big picture mode?

As an aside, I was running the nvidia 384 driver when I installed the game; it complained that the driver was unsupported and would have problems, but I encountered none. I then installed the 390 driver, the game still complained, and I got terrible performance, no doubt due to constant HDD access (it went well over my 8 gigs of memory and over 1 gig into swap), with constant stuttering and hangs of up to 15+ seconds. I then installed the latest 396 driver (that's the one Feral says is supported) and it's all violets and roses again.
Jau Apr 27, 2018
No problem with Nvidia gtx1070.
80~110 fps forcing everythings at max. I saw a shadow flickering in a background one time but it stoped quickly.
I'm using a PS4 gamepad for this game. Well supported, except for the touch pad. I have to press [TAB] on keyboard to open the map.
ageres Apr 27, 2018
Just tried my Steam controller, it works fine. I didn't use Big Picture mode though, because when I did, I got only a black screen instead of the Feral launcher.
donbastiano Apr 27, 2018
Than you, it doesn't work neither on big picture but... I tried disabling the Steam Overlay and now it works! The strange thing is that now seems to work also enabling it(!), the controller appears also on the advanced setting of the feral launcher. I think we know what I'll do this week-end, if only I could stop playing Stellaris... :D
snkiz May 4, 2018
I'm having this problem with all my games that support the controller. It will work in desktop mode, or on big picture. seems fine. but when I start a game, nothing but the steam button works. If I turn off overlay its seen as a keyboard/mouse. My install is a little weird, I had to nuke the OS partition but reused my home directory. (gnome didn't like that.) I used the minimal install option in ubiquity, and uninstalled snapd. That's really all thats non-standard about it.
anders_81_fi May 4, 2018
I am also on Ubuntu 18.04 and installing Steam client did not set udev rules for Steam Controller for some reason. I manually did them and forgot to change the usergroup to correct one. If issues are solved by executing command 'sudo chmod 666 /dev/uinput' before launching the game then I am quite sure that there is something wrong with the udev rule for the Steam Controller. It makes it easier to support when posting also the current udev rule in use for the controller.
Redface May 4, 2018
On Ubuntu there is a package called steam-devices that creates the udev rules. Try to install that.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.