Use Reddit? Join us on our very own subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Linuxstuff/
You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
  Go to:
RIP - Microsoft buys Github
GustyGhost commented on 7 June 2018 at 2:31 pm UTC

cynicfmWould be nice if linux users stopped using steam and other valve products like they do with microsoft producs, because steam is not any different from windows, it spies you as well.

edit: another thing is that gitlab collaborates with Google Cloud Service, so using GitLab is bad as well...

Welcome to the .01% of the .1%. Good luck coaxing any gamers, let alone Linux gamers, away from Steam. There are a number of ways Steam can surveil you, only one of which Valve has recently addressed (betrayal of online/offline statuses (low hanging fruit)). I am afraid discussing any of these points would fall on deaf ears, here at GoL.

@edit: With Git hosting, it is not surveillance so much that should worry us, it is the dependency that one accepts from parties with possible mal-intent.

cynicfm commented on 7 June 2018 at 2:40 pm UTC

The thing with being linux gamer while using steam is that it doesn't make much difference if u use steam on linux or windows, it is still the same platform. The only difference is that Valve already does the 'hard shit' for you it means they code all their games that you play and you don't even own them. You pay for a game that you don't even own, because it's still under valve platform, so using linux and playing steam games is not freedom.
Its same with devs now people gonna stop use github because Microsoft acquired them so they gonna start use gitlab that collabs with google, another corporate billionaire company, that does same practises that microsoft, collects and sell all data...

It seems like devs etc. have huge knowledge about coding, but they lack of basics like they gonna go to gitlab (google) from microsoft github and it's gonna make huge difference for them, gosh...

tuubi commented on 7 June 2018 at 3:23 pm UTC

cynicfmThe thing with being linux gamer while using steam is that it doesn't make much difference if u use steam on linux or windows, it is still the same platform.
Oh but it does make a difference! That's like saying if you're going to drive a car, it doesn't matter which lane you're going to drive it on. Or, with less hyperbole, if you're going to run Firefox, if doesn't matter which operating system you run it on. I might not be able to trust all of my software, but I'd rather trust some of it than none.

(In case you're wondering, I'm not defending Valve's business model here. I'm not interested in discussing it either.)

cynicfmIts same with devs now people gonna stop use github because Microsoft acquired them so they gonna start use gitlab that collabs with google, another corporate billionaire company, that does same practises that microsoft, collects and sell all data...

It seems like devs etc. have huge knowledge about coding, but they lack of basics like they gonna go to gitlab (google) from microsoft github and it's gonna make huge difference for them, gosh...
You must have missed the fact that gitlab is open source and can be self-hosted. You don't need to trust them with your data. Along with the fact that the company isn't owned by Google.

chancho_zombie commented on 8 June 2018 at 4:14 pm UTC

I've thinking of this and for now I'm going to stay at github.

nox commented on 8 June 2018 at 5:50 pm UTC

chancho_zombieI've thinking of this and for now I'm going to stay at github.
Well, if this is true I would reconsider
And, to what I can see it does indeed seem like they removed that repo from the trending list because it's "embarrassing".

cynicfm commented on 9 June 2018 at 7:36 pm UTC

this is just pathetic oh yeah we've got issues with microsoft lets post about it on another corporate services twitter and reddit because they have got different policies than m$, they dont make billions like m$, lets go to gitlab that coops with google another corporate bullshit...

these devs are just boring, they should get a life lmao

Luke_Nukem commented on 15 June 2018 at 5:03 am UTC

The super paranoid will move because of Microsoft. Nothing will change that, especially with the history Microsoft has.

Me? I'm indifferent now, especially considering I'm using VSCode a lot (good grief it caused me so much pain trying to come to terms with it being good but also MS). But I have removed all my personal projects and hosted them on my NAS (a QNAP one) using a Docker image for gitea (which is minimal and quite fast compared to gitlab). It was just something that I'd been meaning to do for a while.

What I would love to see is something like a gogs and/or gitea inspired federation of self-hosted git sites. Kind of hoping this Microsoft fear spurs that on.

As for what MS does with Github? I doubt they will change too much, they have a bad history and they know it - they'll be working overtime to get past that.

Meanwhile though - they'll have unfettered access to competitors source until they move it (yes, even the private repos which I'm fairly sure are accessible internally, they won't be encrypted). And that's good reason to move.

devnull commented on 15 June 2018 at 12:20 pm UTC

Many quite bizare things about this still. Considering Github was not a public company, with an evaluation like that you have to wonder if they were planning an IPO.

GitHub has at least some of their infrastructure on AWS. I don't imagine their monthly bill is small either. Would be a bit of a hit on Amazon if/when they inevetiably move to azure. Hell the loss of business to fastly and cloudfront(their current cdns), is going to hurt. Appears they've already pulled www.github.com from CF. Wouldn't go anywhere near them atm.

Out of everything else, it's the Linux Foundation backing this that confuses me the most.

Shmerl commented on 15 June 2018 at 6:37 pm UTC

I'm not going to remove my user until there are projects I'm interested in still on Github, but I'm not going to host there anything myself. Gitlab is better for that.

devnull commented on 16 June 2018 at 7:52 pm UTC

Would be interesting if projects used github as a storage backend.. encrypted of course. Could be something simple like encryptfs (files) or blobs. Any passwords would be published on gitlab, point is the data would be unusable to MS.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts