Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
How to hunt and install individual libraries on Ubuntu 18.04?
Some games require to have installed libc6:i386 libasound2:i386 libasound2-data:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libx11-6:i386 libxau6:i386 libxcb1:i386 libxcursor1:i386 libxdmcp6:i386 libxext6:i386 libxfixes3:i386 libxinerama1:i386 libxrandr2:i386 libxrender1:i386 libglu1:i386

In the old Ubuntu 14.04 it was very easy: I just needed to go to Ubuntu Software Center and type the name of the library in the "search" field and it show me the package where the library is.... The new Ubuntu Software doesn't allow you to do that; it only show apps... And the is no way to install the old USC in the new Ubuntus...

So, how to search and install these libraries on Ubuntu/Xubuntu 18.04?
tuubi Jun 7, 2018
Try "apt search libsomething" in the terminal. Or install a graphical package manager like synaptic.
Avehicle7887 Jun 7, 2018
I prefer Synaptic compared to all the other fancy managers.
Im having an error with Trine..

libz.so.1 version "ZLIB.1.2.9" not found (required by /usr/lib/i386-Linux-gnu/libpng16.so.16) 

If I look for libz.so.1 on synaptic, there is no result..
Mnoleg Jun 7, 2018
You can find the packages including that file here:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=bionic&arch=i386&mode=exactfilename&searchon=contents&keywords=libz.so.1

Ubuntu 18.04 uses zlib 1.2.11, so you're probably having a conflict between the libraries in your system and older versions shipped with Trine. I would try to delete some of the libraries included with Trine, starting with libpng16 (if present).
Avehicle7887 Jun 7, 2018
Libpng16 is present in Ubuntu 18.04, Robert's advice is your best starting point. I've had a similar issue with other games and removing some bundled libs fixed it.

Quoting: Comandante ÑoñardoIm having an error with Trine..

libz.so.1 version "ZLIB.1.2.9" not found (required by /usr/lib/i386-Linux-gnu/libpng16.so.16) 

If I look for libz.so.1 on synaptic, there is no result..

In Ubuntu repo the zlib package is called "zlib1g" search for that in Synaptic. Most likely the system only came with 64bit library preinstalled. The 32bit one can be found as "zlib1g:i386" and you have to install that manually.
Thanks for the tips... Deleting the Trine Zlib make the game launcher load, but when I click start, it throw me another error related with some Murrine thing... I installed the 32 bit version of Gtk2-engines-murrine from the site You mentioned... Now I have some Pixmap error... I installed the Pixmap package, but I still having the same pixmap error...

Deleting all the Trine libraries throw an error about some missing libpng12...
After A LOT of trial and errors (including the Install of the windows version via wine and the Linux version of the Humble edition of Trine... and I jump to the conclusion that the only old library needed in the Trine lib folder is the file libpng12.so.0.50.0 and a symlink to it called libpng12.so.0
Guppy Jun 8, 2018
I know you write that you've solved the problem, but honestly theese command are something that anyone unfortunate enough to ever be confronted with the existence of .so files should know ;)

so for future reference:

To find out what (installed) package owns a file:

dpkg -S file

Since you are missing it, it obviously wont be installed so you will need apt-file

apt-file search file

For some reason this nifty tool is not a part of most apt based distros, so you will need to install and update it first:
apt install apt-file
apt-file update
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.