You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
Your most awesome computer crash while gaming?
slaapliedje commented on 21 June 2018 at 6:34 am UTC

My typical crashes usually involve some high volume screaming at me when the game crashed, usually it's all about timing.

This time around my game crash caused the computer to completely freeze (reset button wouldn't even work) and the Steam Controller was stuck on rumbling (I had to pull the battery out!)

What's your most awesome crash?

Xpander commented on 21 June 2018 at 11:50 am UTC

happens rarely. When i had some wrong settings for my CPU/RAM OC, i had some, but they werent anything to remember.

Most awesome crash i think was back in february last year. I was playing ARK on Linux, suddenly framerate started to jump and then boom, like electricity went out, tried to turn PC on again, nothing. opened it up and saw my VRM was smoking for a split second. That was it with this FX 8320@4.5ghz and cheap gigabutt motherboard whos poor VRMs had to keep up with my OC for several years.

nox commented on 21 June 2018 at 5:08 pm UTC

I think the most interesting recent one was because of a dying hard drive. General confusing instability. Then one day we were greeted with a message about the hard drive not functioning properly

That was a confusing one to figure out...

denyasis commented on 23 June 2018 at 11:31 pm UTC

It was a dark and stormy night. Was playing Morrowind. Suddenly, BOOM FLASH! The screen distorted and then went black. And this is what a near lightning strike will do to a computer. Mobo, CPU, psu; all fried.

damarrin commented on 14 November 2018 at 10:41 am UTC

Is this a bot that takes text and replaces words with synonyms? Certainly looks like it.

robvv commented on 14 November 2018 at 11:13 am UTC

I had some really nasty lock-ups some time ago where the entire system would freeze after a few minutes gaming with a static screen and no working keyboard or mouse input; not even REISUB!

Turned out I had a very furry heatsink on my GPU... oops :-)

Samsai commented on 14 November 2018 at 12:11 pm UTC

damarrinIs this a bot that takes text and replaces words with synonyms? Certainly looks like it.
Yup, it looks like it's a smarter-than-standard bot that is trying to figure out the mod queue. I brought it up with Liam and we are looking into combating those a bit more effectively. If you happen to see posts like that get through, however, just report them as spam and we'll get the posts cleaned up and accounts locked.

razing32 commented on 14 November 2018 at 1:55 pm UTC

For me the most epic happened back when i was younger still playing on Windows.
I was playing a bootleg copy of C&C Tiberian Sun.
Suddenly the disk spun up to load a movie. Then.... CRACK. I pulled out the drive and i saw shards.
To this day i swear a shard flew out when the tray was closed (though might be my imagination as a kid)
Few people believe me this can happen.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
None currently, submit yours here!
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts