Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
GOL Mascot Discussion
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Alex V.Sharp May 19, 2013
All right then, some of you may noticed the "Re-doing the design, again!" thread where Liam has been discussing about the new new looks for GamingOnLinux.com. As such I've taken the liberty of working on a mascot for the website which will, hopefully upon finish, be used next to the new logo/banner (once we get around to make it). So after a few overhauls and tests, here's the current wip:
[center][img=241x252]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll175/AlexVSharp/Mock%20Ups/GOL/Liam2_zps37bd5d0a.jpg[/img][/center]
I encourage you all to give your opinions about what to do where and how (with a good dose of why mixed in there) so that we can have Mr. Mascot here up and ready. Also if someone would like to try their hand in editing him, contact me via a PM and I can arrange to have the original SVG sent.

btw, he needs a proper name.
I just keep naming the file "Liam" so I know who it's for... Shame on me.
Liam Dawe May 19, 2013
His sunnies are much much better in this version great job!

Could he maybe have a mouse hanging from his other hand? Might look quite cool.

I know I said to remove "GOL" from the laptop but do you think it could be on it just a different position? Like GOL going vertical down the right of the laptop?

Really looking crisp now!
muntdefems May 19, 2013
I agree that GOL must appear somewhere in the design. After all it's supposed to be GOL's mascot, isn't it?

About its name, I suspect GOLLUM (Gaming On Linux's Lovely and Unique Mascot) is out of the question, right? :D
sobkas May 21, 2013
Your newer design is much better.
Could you make Penguin a little more plump?
I have no objections.

Alex V.Sharp May 23, 2013
Quoting: liamdaweCould he maybe have a mouse hanging from his other hand?
I tried that, but then the image looks way too cramped. If I was to change anything about his left hand it would prolly be to hold the top of the "L" letter from the logo typography - we shall see. As for the position of "GOL" on the laptop, I will try that.

Quoting: muntdefems...I suspect GOLLUM (Gaming On Linux's Lovely and Unique Mascot) is out of the question, right?
"My precious...!" ;)
Best I leave this to be decided by a majority vote.
Love how you made the acronym though.

Quoting: sobkasYour newer design is much better.
Could you make Penguin a little more plump?
I could try, but I'm afraid that, since he's shorter now, further alterations to his stomach could make him look way too fat. I'm not sure: How much do we want him to be in shape anyway?

btw, Why'd you remove that mockup you made? nvm, found it.
Was going to suggest altering it a bit and using it for the new site's 404 page.
muntdefems May 23, 2013
Quoting: Alex V.Sharpbtw, Why'd you remove that mockup you made? nvm, found it.
Was going to suggest altering it a bit and using it for the new site's 404 page.

Hey, that's a really neat idea! And I see that sobkas has already implemented your suggestion, it's great! Maybe the screen could read 'Game Over' instead of a big '404', though...
Liam Dawe May 23, 2013
Hey thats a great idea! Sobkas if you have no objections we can use him on the 404 page :)
sobkas May 23, 2013
I have no objections to such use and I will make any change that you deem necessary.

Alex V.Sharp how do You feel about changeable accessories in Your logo. Mr. Xut(or Mrs, it's a penguin) might be holding different thing depending on the date(bodypillow with Linus Torvalds on his birthday or something) , article category and so on.
Liam Dawe May 23, 2013
Ok thanks Sobkas! The 404 page looks far more fun now!

As for a changing logo, I would prefer to keep it static now so we have a sort of proper brand people can associate with the website.
sobkas May 23, 2013
I don't want to sound fussy, but what do you think about this look:
Also, lets save alpha transparency.
Liam Dawe May 24, 2013
Personally I think the 404 should remain plain as it's such a simple page (apart from your awesome new icon for it!).

I also think GOLLUM is a funny name Alex, maybe we should roll with that?

I think his weight is fine, he is supposed to stand for Linux being cool so making him fat I don't think really "fits" ;)

Alex, instead of him holding a mouse maybe he could be grabbing the G in the Gaming On Linux text?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.