You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
  Go to:
Building Mesa from source and using Mesa master
skyrrd commented on 13 April 2019 at 7:33 pm UTC

Any news about building mesa-git on Debian? Is a chroot or vm still needed? I'm currently eyeing the switch to debian buster, but having to use older versions of mesa is holding me back. I know of ppas but I would prefer to build mesa myself

Shmerl commented on 14 April 2019 at 3:04 am UTC

skyrrdAny news about building mesa-git on Debian? Is a chroot or vm still needed? I'm currently eyeing the switch to debian buster, but having to use older versions of mesa is holding me back. I know of ppas but I would prefer to build mesa myself

The only reason I'm using VM is a separation from the main system, i.e. just for neatness. However I don't build 32-bit Mesa. That would likely require a VM / chroot, due to complications in setting up cross compilation. I got tired trying to make it work. Someone suggested, that if you build it with clang instead of gcc, cross compilation might work. I haven't tried it yet.

If you want newer Mesa than one in buster, you can also install Mesa packages from experimental. It has 19.0.2. See: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/mesa
That's what I use for 32-bit anyway, due to mess of cross compiling it.

Shmerl commented on 14 April 2019 at 3:19 am UTC

You can find my build script here if it's useful:
https://gist.github.com/shmerl/f4e5f76871239158cf083e37c5da56f4

Note, you need to have llvm repo configured, for using latest llvm snapshot.

Shmerl commented on 11 July 2019 at 4:07 am UTC

Debian is still stuck with outdated libdrm (freeze is over, but maintainers didn't get back yet I suppose).

So I decided to figure out how to update libdrm from upstream. It's not that hard apparently.

Debian still has libdrm 2.4.97 while Mesa master now requires 2.4.99. So here is what you can do:

wget https://dri.freedesktop.org/libdrm/libdrm-2.4.99.tar.gz -O $HOME/downloads/libdrm-2.4.99.tar.gz

mkdir -p $HOME/build/libdrm
cd $HOME/build/libdrm

sudo apt-get build-dep libdrm
sudo apt-get source libdrm

cd libdrm-2.4.97
uupdate $HOME/downloads/libdrm-2.4.99.tar.gz

cd ../libdrm-2.4.99
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -nc

You'll need to add some missing symbol definitions along the way to match new upstream. The build failures shows files that differ, so just add everything new to the outdated files.

To built 32-bit variant (you'll need that if you are using 32-bit Mesa), use:

apt-get build-dep -a i386 libdrm
dpkg-buildpackage -a i386 -us -uc -nc

That might require installing some cross gcc packages manually, since apparently build-dep -a i386 is not enough.

Also, when installing the result, I had to use dpkg --force-overwrite -i to work around changelog
conflicts in packages. There is probably some easy way to avoid it, but I didn't drill in enough to find it.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Tac Tics: „SteamWorld Heist“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts