Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Cannot map SNES controller anymore in Steam
buenaventura Jul 13, 2018
Hello!

I seem to remember that Liam wrote about support for other controllers than SC in Steam broke recently, which seems to have happened to me. Or was it the beta? Anyone have a link to that article?

My iBuffalo SNES Usb controller does not work properly anymore, and when I try to map it in big picture mode I can map as usual, but when I want to save it says I have to bind leftx and lefty, which I presume are the stick directions, which I can't since my controller does not have sticks. I cannot progress beyond this.

It was always kinda sketchy I have to say, but now it does not seem to work at all. I wanna play Dead Cells, but the controller is recognized except that it is wonky - buttons seem to work fine except both up and down on the dpad are interpreted as down, and then when I go into the controller settings it just stops working at all. Using qjoypad to map keyboard keys does not work since Dead Cells sees the controller and behaves very strangely when it gets both keyboard presses AND button presses from it.

Any suggestions?
ParanoidPenguin Jul 14, 2018
This is the article you are probably referring to [link](https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/the-latest-steam-client-update-is-out-breaks-gamepads-in-big-picture-mode-on-linux-steamos.11797) but I think it should be fixed even in the regular non beta steam client by now.

As for how to get the controller working.. maybe try disabling gamepad support in big picture mode to make sure it's not messing things up. (I think its under the main settings window > controller settings > generic gamepad support for your controller). If the game doesn't naturally support your controller it might not see your controller at all after disabling it and then you could go with the qjoypad route.
buenaventura Jul 17, 2018
Quoting: ParanoidPenguinThis is the article you are probably referring to [link](https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/the-latest-steam-client-update-is-out-breaks-gamepads-in-big-picture-mode-on-linux-steamos.11797) but I think it should be fixed even in the regular non beta steam client by now.

As for how to get the controller working.. maybe try disabling gamepad support in big picture mode to make sure it's not messing things up. (I think its under the main settings window > controller settings > generic gamepad support for your controller). If the game doesn't naturally support your controller it might not see your controller at all after disabling it and then you could go with the qjoypad route.

Hey, thanks for the tip! I will try it soon and return.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.