Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Intermediate Graphics Card Upgrade - Advice
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
mt7479 Jul 18, 2018
Id like to get myself some AMD love but I'm unsure what card to pick or if i should get one at all.

My rig is outdated (Haswell 2013) and I'm looking to do a rebuild next year, effectively waiting for 7nm Ryzen and next gen AMD GPU. I likely will stay with full HD for gaming, even for the next generation.

I'm playing stuff like Observer, Layer Of Fear, Soma, not the most demanding games IMO. I would like to revisit Deus EX MD and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

The two options I think i have are:

* Get a cheaper card, that will grant me some fun the next 1 1/2 years. Replace immediately on new build.
* Get a decent card for 1080p that will even be usable in my next build, probably until I swap for anything 1080p+.

I'm currently considering one of those two cards:

PowerColor Radeon RX 570 Red Dragon, 4GB GDDR5

I could get that card for ~ 219 €, only makes sense if I stick with 4GB VRAM, models with more get me in the RX 580 price range.

Now I can't find any benchmarks for RX 570, only for RX 560 which i think would not be much of an upgrade compared to my existing GTX 770.

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 8GD5

That card would be ~ 309 €. Phoronix benchmarks look good but I think I would be CPU limited. Also for that kind of price i probably would like to keep it a bit longer than next year.

Thanks for your help!
mt7479 Jul 18, 2018
Quoting: GuestRx470 is almost fast as rx570 and open source drivers are faster than in 2016, but this will help you:
rx470 benchmark 2016

Thanks. Currently leaning more towards RX 580 for sourcing reasons, the price difference becomes neglectable on some RX 570 models because I would have to order them.
Xpander Jul 18, 2018
RX580 will no doubt last few years for 1080p gaming
RX570 is not that huge upgrade from GTX 770, unless you are VRAM limited
Shmerl Jul 19, 2018
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 is a pretty good card until next generation of AMD GPUs will come out. Get one with 8 GB VRAM though, it will help for Wine+dxvk especially.
mt7479 Jul 19, 2018
Quoting: XpanderRX580 will no doubt last few years for 1080p gaming
RX570 is not that huge upgrade from GTX 770, unless you are VRAM limited

I have the Gigabyte Windforce edition with 4 GB Vram.
RX580 already ordered, hopefully it arrives before my vacation, would like to test drive it a bit :D
mt7479 Jul 19, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlSapphire Nitro+ RX 580 is a pretty good card until next generation of AMD GPUs will come out. Get one with 8 GB VRAM though, it will help for Wine+dxvk especially.

8 GB Vram, check.
mt7479 Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for anybody sharing their opinion <3
Arehandoro Jul 19, 2018
Quoting: mt7479Id like to get myself some AMD love but I'm unsure what card to pick or if i should get one at all.

My rig is outdated (Haswell 2013) and I'm looking to do a rebuild next year, effectively waiting for 7nm Ryzen and next gen AMD GPU. I likely will stay with full HD for gaming, even for the next generation.

I'm playing stuff like Observer, Layer Of Fear, Soma, not the most demanding games IMO. I would like to revisit Deus EX MD and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

The two options I think i have are:

* Get a cheaper card, that will grant me some fun the next 1 1/2 years. Replace immediately on new build.
* Get a decent card for 1080p that will even be usable in my next build, probably until I swap for anything 1080p+.

I'm currently considering one of those two cards:

PowerColor Radeon RX 570 Red Dragon, 4GB GDDR5

I could get that card for ~ 219 €, only makes sense if I stick with 4GB VRAM, models with more get me in the RX 580 price range.

Now I can't find any benchmarks for RX 570, only for RX 560 which i think would not be much of an upgrade compared to my existing GTX 770.

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 8GD5

That card would be ~ 309 €. Phoronix benchmarks look good but I think I would be CPU limited. Also for that kind of price i probably would like to keep it a bit longer than next year.

Thanks for your help!

I'm in a very similar situation as well. I have Haswell and a GTX970 but want to change to AMD. I will also stick with Full HD for a while, just bought a Freesync monitor, and hesitating a lot with my options. I was considering getting the newer Ryzen 2, possibly 7 2600 (the normal version with just 65W is very sweet) and a RX Vega 56. That should last me another 4 years or so.

On the other hand, the kind of games that I play aren't so demanding either -The Witcher 3 is probably the most demanding game I have played for a while- which makes me think I could probably wait till next year with 7nm and the new cards. Supposedly Nvidia will release the new generation and that might bring prices down of the current one too.

The more I ruminate about the two options the more confused I get haha.
tuubi Jul 19, 2018
Quoting: ArehandoroSupposedly Nvidia will release the new generation and that might bring prices down of the current one too.
Nvidia's new Turing lineup is supposed to release in the next two or three months.
Liam Dawe Jul 19, 2018
As always, you will want to spend that little bit extra. Buying cheap won't last long and you only end up spending more in the long run when you're underpowered again. Save for a bit longer if you need to, then buy a good one.
Shmerl Jul 25, 2018
Quoting: ArehandoroOn the other hand, the kind of games that I play aren't so demanding either -The Witcher 3 is probably the most demanding game I have played for a while- which makes me think I could probably wait till next year with 7nm and the new cards.

Same here. The Witcher 3 is probably the most demanding game I have now. Vega 56 helps with it quite a bit though. Significant difference from Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 card I had before (which is quite close in specs to RX 580).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.