Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Intermediate Graphics Card Upgrade - Advice
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
crt0mega Jul 26, 2018
Looks like JC went for that 580. Congrats! :)
Arehandoro Jul 26, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: ArehandoroOn the other hand, the kind of games that I play aren't so demanding either -The Witcher 3 is probably the most demanding game I have played for a while- which makes me think I could probably wait till next year with 7nm and the new cards.

Same here. The Witcher 3 is probably the most demanding game I have now. Vega 56 helps with it quite a bit though. Significant difference from Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 card I had before (which is quite close in specs to RX 580).

What CPU do you have and what's the wattage of your power supply, if you don't mind me asking? Heard Vega is a sucker for power and would like to keep that at a minimum.
mt7479 Jul 26, 2018
Quoting: crt0megaLooks like JC went for that 580. Congrats! :)

Yep. And after some initial tests I'm very pleased. Big improvement over my 770 gtx.

The card arrived one day before my vacation so I'm looking forward to do some further testing.
Shmerl Jul 27, 2018
Quoting: ArehandoroWhat CPU do you have and what's the wattage of your power supply, if you don't mind me asking? Heard Vega is a sucker for power and would like to keep that at a minimum.

Ryzen 7 2700X / Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanum 750 W. You can probably get a lower wattage PSU for such kind of setup, but I got this to have a spare margin. Vega is indeed power hungry, especially Nitro+ variants from Sapphire. That's why I got Pulse Vega 56. It's less power hungry and is still noticeably better than RX 480 / 580.
Arehandoro Jul 27, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: ArehandoroWhat CPU do you have and what's the wattage of your power supply, if you don't mind me asking? Heard Vega is a sucker for power and would like to keep that at a minimum.

Ryzen 7 2700X / Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanum 750 W. You can probably get a lower wattage PSU for such kind of setup, but I got this to have a spare margin. Vega is indeed power hungry, especially Nitro+ variants from Sapphire. That's why I got Pulse Vega 56. It's less power hungry and is still noticeably better than RX 480 / 580.

Cool thanks, will keep that in mind :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.