You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal!
Youtube slow on purpose
razing32 commented on 25 July 2018 at 8:09 pm UTC

Came across this story.
Apparently there is an API in Chrome , and Chrome ONLY , that makes youtube faster.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/google-said-to-deliberately-make-youtube-slower-on-microsoft-edge-firefox-522098.shtml

Can anyone with more experience in browsers/coding chime in ?
Not sure if this is real or not.
Apparently the responsible API is Shadow DOM v0

(PS Not sure if this is the best topic category)

tuubi commented on 25 July 2018 at 9:45 pm UTC

Youtube uses a deprecated API that only Chrome implements, and serves a slow polyfill to other browsers. I don't see how they'd gain more than they lose by slowing their service down for a large part of their user base, so maybe this is just incompetence/idiocy. It sure won't make me consider switching to Chrome. (I use hooktube.com anyway. )

GustyGhost commented on 26 July 2018 at 12:58 am UTC

Hooktube no longer mitigates tracking. The interface is still a magnitude faster but if you were in for privacy it's time to consider alternatives invidio.us

tuubi commented on 26 July 2018 at 9:27 am UTC

It would be nice if people used alternative services indeed. I don't intend to produce any content myself, and can't really make that choice for others.

minaka14c commented on 9 August 2018 at 9:37 pm UTC

GustyGhostHooktube no longer mitigates tracking. The interface is still a magnitude faster but if you were in for privacy it's time to consider alternatives invidio.us

Invidio.us seems cool, but it's not really an "alternative" to YouTube. It's just a great Front-end with no ads. BitChute is a pretty good alternative, but it's currently flooded politics and conspiracy channels. You can find some other good stuff, but you have to look for it.

Also HexDSL has a channel there too.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Tac Tics: „Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts