You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal!
  Go to:
AMD only gaming PC - August 2018
pete910 commented on 7 August 2018 at 7:09 pm UTC

Just to add what others have pointed out, don't skimp on the PSU. Go for a good brand(EVGA, Superflower ect) PSU and larger than you need as it will be more efficient.

+1 for a larger ssd/nvme drive!

Currently an all AMD sys my self(see PC info) and have a 1tb 960 pro + 1 TB 850 evo and the evo is full, My nvme drive is the OS + home drive and that's at 78%
I also use a 512 OCZ drive as videos for OBS caps plus vids obviously

I do have a server/nas so storage is not what's using the space, ITS GAMES, DAMN YOU VALVE/FERREL/ASPYR

Edit:

To add, stay on stable mesa. Less headache for novice/general users. Amd staging kernel is fine and available through the AUR repo. Will test your 2600 at compiling whilst your at it too

Shmerl commented on 7 August 2018 at 7:46 pm UTC

pete910I do have a server/nas so storage is not what's using the space, ITS GAMES, DAMN YOU VALVE/FERREL/ASPYR

That's why I install games on HDD, not on SSD. They take too much space.

pete910 commented on 7 August 2018 at 11:14 pm UTC

Shmerl
pete910I do have a server/nas so storage is not what's using the space, ITS GAMES, DAMN YOU VALVE/FERREL/ASPYR

That's why I install games on HDD, not on SSD. They take too much space.

HDD's are to slow though, personally would rather just get a bigger or another ssd

Shmerl commented on 8 August 2018 at 12:00 am UTC

pete910HDD's are to slow though, personally would rather just get a bigger or another ssd

Even biggest ones are far behind HDDs in capacity, and are simply way too expensive. I use NVMe for the primary drive, so slow HDD where games are installed doesn't bother me. Saves goes on the NVMe normally, so load / save time is still small.

pete910 commented on 8 August 2018 at 12:50 pm UTC

Shmerl
pete910HDD's are to slow though, personally would rather just get a bigger or another ssd

Even biggest ones are far behind HDDs in capacity, and are simply way too expensive. I use NVMe for the primary drive, so slow HDD where games are installed doesn't bother me. Saves goes on the NVMe normally, so load / save time is still small.

Agree the price difference is a big factor however loading speed is game dependant too to a point, normal HDD's are larger but the speed is pathetic at best, not bad if you raid them but still.
I do have well over 100 games installed which is silly I agree. So in reality I don't actually need what I have now. So if I + the op was sensible a good nvme + 1tb SSD that would be more than likely ample.

I do use my server if need be and believe it or not I can pull off that quicker than what a single HDD can read at

stan commented on 8 August 2018 at 5:57 pm UTC

pete910HDD's are to slow though
No they are not; most games load in a few seconds from a 5400 RPM HDD.

Now I have experienced that GTA 5 took more than a few seconds and maybe it would be faster from an SSD, but it was the exception for me and the initial load time wasn’t too bad anyway (maybe 30 s), with minimal load times ingame after that.

Shmerl commented on 8 August 2018 at 6:09 pm UTC

I don't care about loading of games data much, that's a one time thing, loading saves / writing saves is more relevant, and that happens on SSD/NVMe normally, if they go in correct locations like $HOME/.local/share/...

I simply mount BTRFS volume for games from HDD to $HOME/games ($HOME itself is on NVMe with XFS) and it works very well.

It's just not feasible to fit that much data on affordable SSD. I already have close to 1.75 TB of data and most of that is eaten by games (taking in account that I also back up my GOG installers). It will hit 2 TB and more eventually. So 4 TB HDD is good enough for now.

pete910 commented on 8 August 2018 at 9:07 pm UTC

stan
pete910HDD's are to slow though
No they are not; most games load in a few seconds from a 5400 RPM HDD.
*snip

My HDD's must have been real bad ones in the past is all I can say, I've had some 7200 drives at times too.

ShmerlI don't care about loading of games data much, that's a one time thing, loading saves / writing saves is more relevant, and that happens on SSD/NVMe normally, if they go in correct locations like $HOME/.local/share/...

I simply mount BTRFS volume for games from HDD to $HOME/games ($HOME itself is on NVMe with XFS) and it works very well.

It's just not feasible to fit that much data on affordable SSD. I already have close to 1.75 TB of data and most of that is eaten by games (taking in account that I also back up my GOG installers). It will hit 2 TB and more eventually. So 4 TB HDD is good enough for now.

It's the main game that generally takes the time in loading, saves and the like are tiny in comparison in most games.

I do agree about ssd prices not saying otherwize, that's why I have a server for things like backups/installers ect as not accessing them regular.
Everyone is different though, different uses/wants/needs.

bintsmok commented on 9 August 2018 at 11:07 am UTC

I have a gaming PC with Core i7 7700 + Radeon RX 580 GB. It only draws around 245 watts (monitor and speaker not included) when running F1 2017 @ 2560 x 1080 using High preset.

CPU frequency governor is set to Performance and everything is running at stock speed.

Arehandoro commented on 14 August 2018 at 12:46 pm UTC

I finally managed to make a decision to update my current PC a little bit, mostly to use the current spare components for a Home Server. After the upgrade the system will look like this:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Asus Strix X470 m-ITX mobo
Vengeance 16GB DDR4
EVO 970 256GB
Kingston 256GB SSD
GTX 970 (Waiting for Gamescon to see if GPUs go down a bit. Probably will be an Asus ROG Vega 56 replacement)
600W SFX PSU
Fractal Design 304

Off-Topic: For the server the idea is to have openmediavault, plex media, nextcloud and probably ZoneMinder installed. Although not sure yet if I should do dedicated VMs or just running them as service. The system would be:

MW-MS04-01 m-ITX 4 Bay case
i5 Haswell 4460
Gigabyte z97 mobo
Vengeance 16GB DD3
Kingston 128GB SSD
4x2TB Seagate Ironwolf

(Happy to open other thread for comments/help with this setup)

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts