You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
  Go to:
SteamPlay compatibility list
g000h commented on 13 September 2018 at 12:39 am UTC

Sharing my list of working and non-working Steam Play titles so far:

SCUM - working but better performance is preferred; it is EA though.

Elder Scrolls Skyrim Special Edition - working okay, apart from the NPC audio. Have not implemented a tweak/fix.

Monster Slayers, Runestone Keeper, Risen, Pathfinder Adventures, Super House of Dead Ninjas, Legend of Grimrock 2, Fallout Shelter - all working great.

Fallout 3 GOTY, Antihero, Styx: Master of Shadows - not working for me. Have not implemented a tweak/fix.

I'm quite amused about the level of impatience that I've acquired now that Steam Play/Proton/WINE technology is available to us Linux gamers. I'm wanting Skyrim, Antihero, Fallout 3 to work perfectly as soon as possible. I've even had a little look into tweaking, but it isn't really something I want to do. Clear and precise instructions on Proton tweaking might encourage me to go one step further (For Debian - Listing the packages that need to be installed). However, I don't really want to get into the tweaking mindset. Expecting that as Proton technology goes forwards these tweaks will make their way into the base product.

However, I am very interested in basic fixes that might be performed, e.g. editing the Launch Options for non-working titles to get them to work. From above, you can see I'm getting approx 75% success rate with no tweaking whatsoever.

lucifertdark commented on 13 September 2018 at 6:20 am UTC

Here's a run down of games I have, tried with Proton & that don't work at this time, it's quite a long list but nowhere near as long as the one with games that do work for me, there may also be a few that do work but I haven't tested them myself yet, the list is a couple of days out of date I think.

1953 - KGB Unleashed 8BitBoy A Game of Dwarves Abyss Odyssey Acceleration of SUGURI 2 Aerena Agricultural Simulator 2013 Steam Edition Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming Air Forte AirBuccaneers Akane the Kunoichi Akaneiro: Demon Hunters Alien Breed: Impact Alien Swarm Alpha Protocol Alter Ego Angvik Apothecarium: The Renaissance of Evil - Premium Edition Aqua Kitty - Milk Mine Defender ArcaniA Arma 2 Arma 2: DayZ Mod Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Beta (Obsolete) Arma: Cold War Assault Arma: Gold Edition Art Of Gravity Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan Avencast Aviary Attorney Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition Black Mirror I Blackwake Bloop Burstfire Castle of Illusion CastleStorm Chaos Domain Chompy Chomp Chomp Citizens of Earth Cobi Treasure Deluxe Combat Wings: Battle of Britain Commander: Conquest of the Americas Gold Commandos 2: Men of Courage Commandos 3: Destination Berlin Construction Machines 2014 Contagion Crayon Chronicles Crazy Forest Cube Runner Darksiders Darksiders II Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition Darksiders Warmastered Edition Day of Defeat Day of Defeat: Source Day of the Tentacle Remastered Dead Rising 2 Dead Rising 2: Off the Record Dead Rising 3 Dead Rising 4 Deadbreed® Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut Defy Gravity Demigod DiRT 2 DiRT 3 Complete Edition Divide by Sheep DLC Quest DmC Devil May Cry DogFighter Draw a Stickman: EPIC Dream Of Mirror Online Dreamscapes: Nightmare's Heir - Premium Edition Dreamscapes: The Sandman - Premium Edition Droid Assault DUNGEONS - Steam Special Edition DUNGEONS - The Dark Lord (Steam Special Edition) Dungeons: The Eye of Draconus Dystopia Earth 2150: Lost Souls Earth 2150: The Moon Project East India Company Gold Edge of Space Edna & Harvey: The Breakout Enclave ENSLAVED™: Odyssey to the West™ Premium Edition Ethan: Meteor Hunter Eufloria Eurofighter Typhoon Europa Universalis III EvilQuest Face Noir FaeVerse Alchemy Fall of the New Age Premium Edition Far Cry® 3 Fearless Fantasy Feeding Frenzy 2: Shipwreck Showdown Deluxe Fieldrunners Final Dusk Fishing Planet Flotilla Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood Forts FUEL Future Wars Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Edition Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition Galactic Inheritors Galcon 2 Game of Thrones Geometry Dash Get Over Here Ghost Master Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams Glacier 3: The Meltdown GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst GOD EATER RESURRECTION Good Robot Grand Theft Auto IV Gratuitous Tank Battles Gravi Greed: Black Border Greyfox GRID Grimoire: Manastorm Grotesque Tactics 2 - Dungeons and Donuts Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes Growing Pains GTR Evolution Guild Quest Hack 'n' Slash hack_me 2 Hacknet Has-Been Heroes Hearts of Iron III Heavy Fire: Afghanistan Heckabomb Helicopter Simulator 2014: Search and Rescue Hell Yeah! Heroes of Annihilated Empires HeXen II Hitman: Absolution Holodrive Home Homefront Homefront: The Revolution Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising How to Survive 2 Humanity Asset Hungry Flame Huntsman - The Orphanage Halloween Edition Hydrophobia: Prophecy Hyper Fighters Incoming Forces Inquisitor Jack Keane 2 - The Fire Within Just Cause Just Cause 2 Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days Kane & Lynch: Dead Men Kill Fun Yeah Killer is Dead Kingdom Elemental Kingdom of Aurelia: Mystery of the Poisoned Dagger Kingdom Tales Kingdom Wars klocki Konung 3: Ties of the Dynasty Kung Fu Strike: The Warrior's Rise L.A. Noire Labyronia RPG 2 Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Laser League Last Day of June Last Inua Legend of Fae Lightfish Litil Divil Little Farm Livelock Lords Of The Fallen Lost Castle Mafia II Mafia III Magic 2015 Magicka Magicka: Wizard Wars Manhunter MANOS Marble Mayhem: Fragile Ball Mare Nostrum Marine Sharpshooter II: Jungle Warfare Mata Hari Max Payne 3 Medal of Honor(TM) Multiplayer Medal of Honor(TM) Single Player MEDIEVAL: Total War™ - Gold Edition Meridian: New World Midnight Mysteries 3: Devil on the Mississippi Midnight Mysteries 4: Haunted Houdini Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials Midnight Mysteries: The Edgar Allan Poe Conspiracy Mining & Tunneling Simulator Montas Mortal Kombat Kollection Namariel Legends: Iron Lord Premium Edition Napoleon: Total War Nethergate: Resurrection No Time to Explain Nosgoth Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas OddPlanet One Finger Death Punch Oozi: Earth Adventure Operation Flashpoint: Red River Orborun Orcs Must Die! Unchained ORION: Prelude Out There Somewhere Paranormal Pathologic Classic HD Patrician III Patrician IV: Rise of a Dynasty Patrician IV: Steam Special Edition Penguins Arena: Sedna's World Portal Knights Post Apocalyptic Mayhem Power-Up Primal Fears Project Root PROTOTYPE 2 PUSH Puzzler World Q.U.B.E. QuestRun Racecraft Racer 8 RaceRoom Racing Experience RADical ROACH Remastered RAW - Realms of Ancient War Really Big Sky Realms of the Haunting Recovery Search and Rescue Simulation Relativity Wars - A Science Space RTS Renegade Ops Replay - VHS is not dead Rescue Team 5 Resident Evil / biohazard HD REMASTER Resident Evil 0 / biohazard 0 HD REMASTER Resident Evil 6 / Biohazard 6 Residue: Final Cut Return to Castle Wolfenstein Ricochet Rise of the Triad Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 Multiplayer Road to Ballhalla Robocraft Rock of Ages Runestone Keeper Rush for Berlin: Gold Edition Sacred 2 Gold SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition Scrap Garden - The Day Before Sengoku Shadow Man Shadows on the Vatican - Act I: Greed Shadows: Price For Our Sins SiN Episodes: Emergence Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition Sleeping Dogs™ Slipstream 5000 Sniper Elite 4 Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 Sniper: Ghost Warrior Soccer Rage Soulbringer Space Engineers Space Trader: Merchant Marine Spice Road STANDBY Star Ruler Staxel Stealth Inc 2 Steel & Steam: Episode 1 Stonerid Storm in a Teacup Story Of the Survivor Streamline Street Racing Syndicate Strike Suit Infinity Stronghold Crusader 2 Subterrain Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory Summoner Super Crate Box SUPER DISTRO Super Killer Hornet: Resurrection Super Splatters Super Time Force Ultra Supraball Supreme Commander Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance Survive in Space Sword of the Stars Complete Collection Sword of the Stars II: Enhanced Edition Symphony Take On Helicopters Tales of Berseria Tengami The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit The Chosen RPG The Darkness II The Few The First Templar The Lord of the Rings: War in the North The Showdown Effect The Sun at Night The Surge The Technomancer The Typing of The Dead: Overkill The Void Tiny Bridge: Ratventure Total War Battles: KINGDOM Total War: ROME II - Emperor Edition TransOcean: The Shipping Company Truck Racer UFHO2 UFO: Afterlight Umbrella Corps™ / Biohazard Umbrella Corps™ Universe Sandbox Urja Velvet Assassin Vertical Drop Heroes HD Victoria II Victory: The Age of Racing Viking: Battle for Asgard Viscera Cleanup Detail Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior Void Destroyer Wanderland War for the Overworld War of the Roses War of the Roses Balance Beta Warhammer 40 Warhammer 40 Warhammer 40 Wasteland Angel Xotic Zenge Zenith

lucifertdark commented on 13 September 2018 at 6:58 am UTC

Return to Castle Wolfenstein can now be added to the working list, on the Proton Github someone found a workaround that works, it was posted 2 weeks ago but there's only so many hours in the day & I missed it till just now.

NVIDIA proprietary drivers users: __GL_ExtensionStringVersion=17700 %command%
AMD/Intel: MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR=2003 %command%

after the usual cfg resolution tweaks it runs like a dream.

edit: I grabbed the unofficial 1.42b patch from here (simple drag & drop files from an archive) & the above workarounds are no longer necessary, PLUS adding the Venom mod adds in some rather nice higher quality textures & modern lighting effects.

rcgamer commented on 13 September 2018 at 7:32 am UTC

Alan Wake works. Need to restart it after initial start to get sound in cutscenes and disable Steam overlay to avoid crashes.

Alan Wake Video

lucifertdark commented on 13 September 2018 at 7:45 am UTC

rcgamerAlan Wake works. Need to restart it after initial start to get sound in cutscenes and disable Steam overlay to avoid crashes.

Alan Wake Video
It's odd, I installed it & first time I ran it the sound was all there, but I did forget to disable the overlay which explains the crash.

ageres commented on 13 September 2018 at 8:05 am UTC

lucifertdarkReturn to Castle Wolfenstein can now be added to the working list, on the Proton Github someone found a workaround that works
Or just use https://github.com/iortcw/iortcw

lucifertdark commented on 13 September 2018 at 8:12 am UTC

ageres
lucifertdarkReturn to Castle Wolfenstein can now be added to the working list, on the Proton Github someone found a workaround that works
Or just use https://github.com/iortcw/iortcw
Well there is that one as well, actually re-reading what I posted above I got the version number on the patch wrong, it's 1.42d not 1.42b, of course anything we change is going to get wiped out the next time Steam decides RTCW needs an update to version 1.22.

lucifertdark commented on 13 September 2018 at 8:17 am UTC

Conan Exiles can be added to the list of games that's broken at the moment, it installs no problem, it even runs as far as the menu, sound is a bit crackly but starting a session, single player or multiplayer, is a bust, it pops up an error message unable to create session.

tuubi commented on 13 September 2018 at 9:47 am UTC

lucifertdarkHere's a run down of games I have, tried with Proton & that don't work at this time, it's quite a long list but nowhere near as long as the one with games that do work for me, there may also be a few that do work but I haven't tested them myself yet, the list is a couple of days out of date I think.
Some native games you might want to drop from the list:
Day of Defeat Day of Defeat: Source Day of the Tentacle Remastered Enclave Eufloria Fishing Planet Hack 'n' Slash Hacknet Kill Fun Yeah klocki Orborun PUSH Q.U.B.E. Ricochet Robocraft Scrap Garden - The Day Before Super Crate Box Super Splatters Super Time Force Ultra UFHO2 War for the Overworld Zenge

g000h commented on 13 September 2018 at 12:32 pm UTC

tuubi
lucifertdarkHere's a run down of games I have, tried with Proton & that don't work at this time, it's quite a long list but nowhere near as long as the one with games that do work for me, there may also be a few that do work but I haven't tested them myself yet, the list is a couple of days out of date I think.
Some native games you might want to drop from the list:
Day of Defeat Day of Defeat: Source Day of the Tentacle Remastered Enclave Eufloria Fishing Planet Hack 'n' Slash Hacknet Kill Fun Yeah klocki Orborun PUSH Q.U.B.E. Ricochet Robocraft Scrap Garden - The Day Before Super Crate Box Super Splatters Super Time Force Ultra UFHO2 War for the Overworld Zenge

Yes, I noticed a couple of native Linux games on your list, as well, e.g. Enclave.

Also noting that you had a non-working experience for "Runestone Keeper" whereas for me and my setup, it worked perfectly, no problem. Based on that, I'd expect others to work for me, where they're failing for you. Shame about consistency across platforms. (I'm on Debian 10 Buster with Nvidia graphics.)

Impressed at how prolific you are in your compatibility testing!

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts