You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
SteamPlay compatibility list
Page: «6/21»
  Go to:
dvd 8 years Sep 3, 2018
Well i had some more time playing GTA:SA and it is sadly not free of bugs, using the camera makes the window freeze, so the last mission you can complete is green saber.
dvd 8 years Sep 4, 2018
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: dvdWell i had some more time playing GTA:SA and it is sadly not free of bugs, using the camera makes the window freeze, so the last mission you can complete is green saber.

I saw this on a steam forum, apparently it's not unique to proton.

"Alright, I've figured out how to fix the problem: go to the options, display setup, and turn Store Gallery Photos off. This solves the problem and stops the camera from freezing your game. Thank you DontWorryAboutIt for the fix! "

See if it works.

Thanks that did it.
tonR Sep 4, 2018
Quoting: tonRThe Sims 3: worked!

Read on compability sheet that someone bypassing the launcher. I'm trying it and working well by Linux standard. Here's my notes posted there (probably tommorow they'll update the sheets).

QuoteYes, bypassing the launcher as suggested here before works as intended. Game "gamma" are a bit dark, but not unplayable dark, probably due to Mesa driver problems or game problem. Just need adjusting monitor brightness and you good to go.

To bypass the launcher (refined for Linux newbie):
1. Open The Sims(TM) 3 "Bin" directory in Nautilus/File Manager (default is on /home/yourusername/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/The Sims 3/Game/Bin)
2. Find Sims3Launcher.exe and rename it to SimsLauncher.exe.old
3. Open "Bin" directory in Terminal and create a symlink to TS3.exe by typing either "ln -s TS3.exe Sims3Launcher.exe" or "ln -s Sims3Launcher.exe TS3.exe"
4. You're good to go. Enjoy!
UPDATE: Here's the picture...

1. Prove

2. Shocking FPS... IDK if this game is running on Vulkan or not. Never drops 30 fps at default graphics setting which max setting.

So, that's concluded my update on The Sims 3 for now. Any weird bug occurs, I will tell it here. Enjoy Steam Play my fellow Linux gamers...
wojtek88 Sep 5, 2018
Steam play is fantastic, indeed. It removes most annoying part of Wine gaming with Steam - creation of new prefix for new game, as wine used in previous prefix was incompatible with the game you want to run now. However there is a long road in front of Valve to make it golden.

First game I tried was *Original War*. It's a game I love from mu childhood and it run perfectly. So far I've managed to finish 2 missions, but I am going to beat whole US campaign.

Second game was GTA IV. It didn't run. I couldn't find proton logs (now I know there is a var I can set to specify logs location) but the game just didn't start.

Unfortunately I tried 2 other R* titles - L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3. Same result.

Bioshock, Bioshock 2 - same result.

Also same result with Bathman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. Arkham Origins started and I was in play mode, however my GT540m didn't manage to offer smooth game experience.

I've tried DIRT 3: Complete Edition. This is a game I've finished on Wine 1.7.43 with dualshock 4. Unfortunately on Proton 4 times it didn't start. On 5th try it started, but experience wasn't smooth.

Then I run Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition. Auto setup froze, so I've modified ini file. I entered the game, it worked but it wasn't smooth, even on lowest resolution (it was smooth on Windows).

Last game - Deus Ex Human Revolution (basic, not director's cut). Game started, a lot of stuttering, that info about regedit didn't solve it. What's more it was unplayable, as I wasn't able to move mouse and press a key on keyboard at the same time.

My rig: i5 2410m, 10GB RAM, gt540m, Ubuntu 17.10.

I aim to update my rig, however for now it looks like people with cards, that do not support Vulkan won't be able to enjoy a lot of Proton.

Anyway, Steam play is a very good step forward from Valve. Can't wait a day, when Valve officialy supports on Linux:
- Witcher 3,
- GTA V,
- Fallout 4,
- Street Fighter V,
- Tekken 7.

And what is important - it looks like it's more like weeks / months than years. Steam play is not there for typical gamer, but I believe it will be there in 2019.
ageres Sep 5, 2018
Quoting: wojtek88Can't wait a day, when Valve officialy supports on Linux:
- Witcher 3,
- GTA V,
- Fallout 4,
- Street Fighter V,
- Tekken 7.
Tekken 7 is officialy supported already.
wojtek88 Sep 5, 2018
Quoting: ageres
Quoting: wojtek88Can't wait a day, when Valve officialy supports on Linux:
- Witcher 3,
- GTA V,
- Fallout 4,
- Street Fighter V,
- Tekken 7.
Tekken 7 is officialy supported already.
I know. I also know, that Witcher 3 and GTA V are already working very well for many people, which means that Valve is getting there.
Quoting: GuestDishonored just installed and played

Dishonored Video

Good work!
I'm gonna try the same game, but with a modest i3 4160 and a GTX 750ti
I tried Fallout 4..

It loads..

But it has problems with the mouse and the sound..

It seems there is a workaround for the sound problem with setting xaudio2_7 (native,builtin)

Update!

It is necessary to edit the file user.reg that is inside compatdata/377160/pfx/ and add the entry "xaudio2_7"="native,builtin" inside [Software\\Wine\\DllOverrides]

This is the part inside user.reg where You have to look:
[Software\\Wine\\DllOverrides] 1535035836
#time=1d43af0a6778600
"api-ms-win-crt-conio-l1-1-0"="native,builtin"
"api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0"="native,builtin"
"api-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0"="native,builtin"
"api-ms-win-crt-math-l1-1-0"="native,builtin"
"api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0"="native,builtin"
"api-ms-win-crt-stdio-l1-1-0"="native,builtin"
"api-ms-win-crt-time-l1-1-0"="native,builtin"
"atl100"="native,builtin"
"atl110"="native,builtin"
"atl120"="native,builtin"
"atl140"="native,builtin"
"concrt140"="native,builtin"
"msvcp100"="native,builtin"
"msvcp110"="native,builtin"
"msvcp120"="native,builtin"
"msvcp140"="native,builtin"
"msvcr100"="native,builtin"
"msvcr110"="native,builtin"
"msvcr120"="native,builtin"
"msvcr140"="native,builtin"
"ucrtbase"="native,builtin"
"vcomp100"="native,builtin"
"vcomp110"="native,builtin"
"vcomp120"="native,builtin"
"vcomp140"="native,builtin"
"vcruntime140"="native,builtin"
"xaudio2_7"="native,builtin"

Besides the mouse problem, The game has SOLID FRAME RATE on the PC of my GOL profile
mike44 Sep 6, 2018
Flight Sim World crashes with "No D3D11 device". Any help with that? Anyone knows if P3D works?
I tried with The Darkness 2 and Warhammer 40.000 space Marine and both didn't load.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.