Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Is DRM-Free for games is really THAT important?
xeranas Jun 3, 2013
When I was child nearly (ok ALL) my games was pirated I played them a LOOT. I'm not proud of it it just a fact.
Now when I grow up, get a job I play a LOOT of World of Warcraft in global (where need pay monthly fee) and not alone.. with my wife. It was several years I spend a loot of money, but not regret it was good time.
Now when you spend a loot of money for one game it easier to convert self to pay for others titles also. You know when game is pricey (like 50 euros) it is sometimes hard to commit self to buy instead of illegally download it and just play. Sometimes (or actually many times when seeing in sells numbers) DRM is one of the thing which actually force you buy content. Diablo 3 is good sample. Even some friends buy this game (they never ever pay a dime for game before).
Don't get me wrong I do not advertise blizzard games I just found that they add strong DRM in recent  titles. And by meaning strong I do not mean "unbreakable" I mean that games (probably) will be not cracked in first sells days which is most important time.
I do not say that DRM is best or friendly option, IMO it is only option to help rise sells at least on first days.
Now to my DRM is not big deal. Buying game is ALL about supporting developers. When I see somewhere blaming title on comments just because it is not DRM-Free first thought come to head: "What you will do if it would be DRM-Free? - give free copy to all family members or what?" Why it matters?
If game management system like Steam would start suck to me I just re-buy game from other source. It is nothing wrong to support good content.
So why it is important that entertainment stuff would be DRM-Free? It is purely ideological or have some practical reason (sharing)?
Liam Dawe Jun 3, 2013
All depends on what kind of DRM is involved for me. Personally I would prefer to have none at all.

Can't say I've ever actually had a problem myself though, none that I can remember anyway.

I can see why DRM pisses people off though, take Sim City (the new one) for example, the game is supposed to be single player yet on release day thousands of people couldn't "log in" and that game became an absolute joke because of the heavy DRM it had.
Hamish Jun 3, 2013
My primary reason is that I do not like the concept - and if I did not care about such things, I would not be on Linux in the first place. I do not like the idea that something I payed for is not actually owned by me but rented from a publisher or distributor which can cut me off at a moments notice due to a deliberate effort or due to the fact their authentication servers go down, potentially forever. I do not want to rent content - when I buy a game I want to be able to play it ten years from now, twenty years from now, thirty.

Granted, I must admit that if I took this philosophy to its natural extent I would have to only play games with source code available, as that is the only true way to immortality. So I do bend a little when buying what can essentially be called "userspace blobs" which is still the form that most commercial games come in. Still, I guess I can only fight one battle at a time, and at this point the DRM one is the more important.
Oxygen Addict Jun 4, 2013
In theory it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. However there's just been too much unreliability so far for me to trust it. Sim City of course is a perfect example. Also when I think about things like moving home and not being with net for a couple of weeks. I'd really want my games at that point but if I can't log in - oh dear!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.