Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Sudden failure launching Steam on Ubuntu 16.04 - glxChooseVisual failed
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
musojon74 Sep 10, 2018
Hi guys. Any thoughts on the above? I've been using Steam happily on my gaming computer for years. Suddenly after loading today I get this issue with glxChooseVisual failed. Using Nvidia with 396.54. Anyone else had this sudden issue? Thanks
musojon74 Sep 10, 2018
Ok now I can't boot x at all. Nothing changed since I went away a few days ago. Went to console and can't start x. Updated using apt get upgrade etc and then did diagnostics on lightdm. If this just happens out of nowhere to someone technical and I'm confused, what chance do we have to get others on our platform? Is Ubuntu no longer a good idea? I'll get the image loaded to somewhere shortly. It it's to do with the greeter apparently. Also on this machine is my attempt to write a game on Ubuntu. I'll obviously try and fix but this has really knocked my confidence :-(
musojon74 Sep 10, 2018
None of the 3 config files referenced in lightdm debug have any data. Worrying. My home directory is all present at least so the game is ok.
musojon74 Sep 10, 2018
lucifertdark Sep 10, 2018
The last time I had something like that happen with Lightdm I had to purge & reinstall it, then reboot & everything was good as new. Be warned if you do purge it it will be back to it's defaults.
Liam Dawe Sep 10, 2018
If this is on Ubuntu, did you upgrade from a different driver series?

Had the exact same problem.

I had to purge all of NVIDIA and then install 396.54.
musojon74 Sep 10, 2018
I'll purge and try again. However windows won't do 60hz4k. Which worries me. Makes me think k it's a cable or hardware issue. Need to do more checks. Thanks for info though :-)
Liam Dawe Sep 10, 2018
Quoting: musojon74I'll purge and try again. However windows won't do 60hz4k. Which worries me. Makes me think k it's a cable or hardware issue. Need to do more checks. Thanks for info though :-)
Be sure all nvidia is gone.

Also, the filenaming changed at some point. It used to be nvidia-xxx now i think it's nvidia-driver-xxx
musojon74 Sep 10, 2018
Ok purging. Although I went away with a working pc and came back with a dud. On both os. Which suggests something bigger. Interestingly when I went to purge the driver wasn't installed. Just prime ( no use on a desktop ) and settings.
musojon74 Sep 10, 2018
Nah. Still won't boot. Even with driver purged. Maybe something more significant is wrong. Bah.
kellerkindt Sep 11, 2018
Had the same issue when I upgraded to LM19:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=272380#p1498624

Its time for the 64bit Steam client...
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.