Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
can't go full screen certain games on Ubuntu + RX480
shu172 Nov 9, 2018
Hi, I'm looking for a little advice. Today I have noticed that I have issues with two of the Steam games which used to work fine.

Butcher - starts only in a windowed mode even when I have fullscreen ticked. If I try to go window mode and back to fullscreen screen goes black for a second and system throws me to system login screen to type my password.
Into the breach - similarly game starts only in a widowed mode (fullscreen turned on). Trying go windowed->fullscreen get black screen with sound and I need to kill the process.

I use Ubuntu 18.04 and and recently updated amdgpu-pro drivers from 18.30 to 18.40. I rolled back to .30 and reinstalled both games but that didn't help. Other games work without issues. Any ideas what can I do and what is the problem? Drivers, Ubuntu, Steam updates? Many thanks

Quick update: I've uninstalled completely amdpgu-pro and problem persists....
tuxintuxedo Nov 9, 2018
I am not sure about the PRO drivers, but you can try the Padoka stable ppa for newer Mesa. Also, it could be something related to your desktop environment as well. I would test it with another one, if it's not a problem for you.
lucinos Nov 10, 2018
The PRO drivers are not recommended. For the amdgpu-mesa is always best to use latest kernel and latest mesa. If you want to stay on ubuntu it would be best to move to latest ubuntu 18.10 and/or use a ppa. Desktop environment is also important info. Personally I would say it is just simpler to use a rolling distro for amdgpu.
shu172 Nov 10, 2018
Thanks I guess it might be a long term solution. What do you think about the fact that after removing amd drivers completely I still have same problem? I'm going to try to reinstall Steam later soon if that makes any difference.
Guppy Nov 10, 2018
Quoting: lucinosit would be best to move to latest ubuntu 18.10
This (or a 18.10 derivative like mint 19 ) - if you want to compile mesa for your self to get the latest goodies it's currently not possible on 18.04 due to a missing dependency

however do remember to backup before updating
tuxintuxedo Nov 10, 2018
Quote18.10 derivative like mint 19
Mint 19 is based on Ubuntu 18.04.
shu172 Nov 10, 2018
So after removing AMDGPU drivers, reinstalling games and Steam I still get weird try-go-full-screen issues. Any final ideas before OS reinstallation...?
Guppy Nov 11, 2018
Quoting: tuxintuxedo
Quote18.10 derivative like mint 19
Mint 19 is based on Ubuntu 18.04.

I'll be damned you are correct - it's based on the LTS
shu172 Nov 26, 2018
The Butcher is working fine now, not sure why. Regarding Into the Breach I have found few posts on Steam complaining about the same issue after the most recent patch. Issue have been reported to devs already by others.
I guess for now the issue is partially solved. Thanks for your input!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.