You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
How to stop Firefox 63.0 from Autoplaying? Suggestion?
tonR commented on 14 November 2018 at 1:36 am UTC

Hello GoL people. I don't know this question should put on 'Tech Help' or 'All other chat'. Soo...

How to stop Firefox from Autoplaying? Especially on Twitter.

Before 63.0 update, autoplay can be block with some workaround on about:config, but now every setting i tried on about:config DOES NOT WORK. It's kinda frustrating.

I tried adblocking via Adblock Plus also doesn't work. (read disclosure below)
Noscript also doesn't work. Search and try any suggestion I found on internet also doesn't work.

I kinda run out of idea to find a solution, that's why I'm asking here.

I'm fine with ads on website as long it doesn't too intrusive.
Autoplay is very intrusive!

Here's my about:config settings
media.autoplay.allow-extension-background-pages;false media.autoplay.allow-muted;false media.autoplay.ask-permission;true media.autoplay.block-event.enabled;true media.autoplay.block-webaudio;true media.autoplay.default;2 media.autoplay.enabled;false media.autoplay.enabled.user-gestures-needed;true media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground;false

Disclosure:
I'd stop using any adblocker since 2015 as in my opinion at that time, all adblock are useless to against anti-adblocker websites (a.k.a I gave up). I never try ublock but I read great things about it. I also aware on Adblock Plus 'controversial' program.

daishord commented on 14 November 2018 at 2:26 pm UTC

I'm fighting against my browser, too (shouldn't it a piece of software serving _my_ needs?) and found this thread. Not tested it myself yet, but it seems with a new profile the settings you posted work.

Can you reproduce this? And maybe point me to the diff in the prefs.js?

amatai commented on 14 November 2018 at 3:57 pm UTC

ublock origin is really great, you should give it a try

tonR commented on 14 November 2018 at 11:28 pm UTC

daishordNot tested it myself yet, but it seems with a new profile the settings you posted work.
It does work on some website but it's not working for major "mainstream" website. That's annoying.

daishordCan you reproduce this? And maybe point me to the diff in the prefs.js?
Nothing, it's same. I assume this probably just a new Firefox "feature". It's not like Mozilla free from controversy last 2-3 years. Might goes to Firefox ESR (LTS) if I'm very-very really pissed.

amataiublock origin is really great, you should give it a try
Well, that's the problem. Which one?
uBlock? uBlock Origin? uBlock mobile? Please, enlighten me..

p/s: I'm using Midori for general surfing, Firefox for online banking and video streaming.

Cyril commented on 15 November 2018 at 1:28 am UTC

tonR
amataiublock origin is really great, you should give it a try
Well, that's the problem. Which one?
[...]
uBlock? uBlock Origin? uBlock mobile? Please, enlighten me..

p/s: I'm using Midori for general surfing, Firefox for online banking and video streaming.

Well, the "uBlock Origin" (second one on your screen), like he said.
But I don't know if it will fix your issue.

tonR commented on 15 November 2018 at 1:10 pm UTC

CyrilWell, the "uBlock Origin" (second one on your screen), like he said.
But I don't know if it will fix your issue.
With adblocking, at least I can block some autoplay ads. Less annoying.
AdBlock Plus sometimes fail to block some unwanted ads but it blocks some of my 'whitelisted' websites ads.

I will put [NOT SOLVED] status on title. For now...

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Story Time: „Neofeud“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts