Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Steam isn't downloading
Mountain Man Nov 24, 2018
For a while now, Steam seems to no longer download updates automatically, or it downloads them inconsistently. In the past, games would update automatically, but now they don't update until I run them, and I just purchased DLC for Crusader Kings II, and I can't get it to trigger a download. I've done all the usual stuff like restarting Steam, clearing the download cache, deleting anything that might be stuck in the .steam/steamapps/downloading/ directory, and so on.

I finally got the DLC to download by verifying the game cache, but this isn't usual behavior for Steam.

Anybody have any ideas?
Xpander Nov 24, 2018
Just in case, have you checked into the steam settings > Downloads if you have updated queued for specific time?

[

there can be other problem, connection to download servers is problematic. change download server if you can and try.

then maybe you changed download settings for individual games?
right click on a game and Properties > Updates and check if Always keep this game Up to Date is enabled.

Another thing to try is to opt into the beta or out of it and back to it.
WorMzy Nov 24, 2018
I've noticed this as well. And for the record, it effects my girlfriend's Windows Steam client too, so I don't think this is a Linux-specific issue.

My theory about this is that Steam checks to see how busy the download servers currently are when queuing up downloads. If your selected server is busy, it will defer the download to a time when the servers are likely to be less stressed, but still give you the option of starting the download manually. It's a pretty sensible move by Valve if this is the case, since Steam downloads a lot of updates for games you probably don't want to play *right now*, so prioritising downloads for games that the user has explicitly chosen to download means that these downloads complete faster than if the bandwidth was used up by non-essential downloads.

Anyway, that's only my theory. There's probably an official explanation buried on Steam's support FAQ or something if anyone feels inclined to do some digging.
Mountain Man Nov 25, 2018
Quoting: XpanderJust in case, have you checked into the steam settings > Downloads if you have updated queued for specific time?

[

there can be other problem, connection to download servers is problematic. change download server if you can and try.

then maybe you changed download settings for individual games?
right click on a game and Properties > Updates and check if Always keep this game Up to Date is enabled.

Another thing to try is to opt into the beta or out of it and back to it.
Yep, checked all of that. Even tried changing the download server location since I had found some threads suggesting that was a solution, but it wasn't.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.