You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Hangs/Freezes when Vulkan v-sync (VK_PRESENT_MODE_FIFO_KHR) is enabled
Leeo97one commented on 24 November 2018 at 6:07 pm UTC

Is anyone able to confirm/reproduce this problem?
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1044496/linux/hangs-freezes-when-vulkan-v-sync-vk_present_mode_fifo_khr-is-enabled/

It's really annoying, especially for DXVK :-/

Leeo97one commented on 25 November 2018 at 9:55 am UTC

GuestThere is no reason to use vsync. Especially with low end gpus with low frame rates. Vsync is often disabled in the game default settings.
I don't get the point of your answer. There are (and I have) reasons to use v-sync, otherwise I would never have report this problem. And I don't think I'm using a low-end GPU actually.

Sorry but I'm looking for a more useful answer than "Problem with vsync? Just don't use it.".

mirv commented on 25 November 2018 at 10:56 am UTC

If you've the option, you could try using VK_PRESENT_MODE_MAILBOX_KHR.
Sascha's demos are normally pretty good though, so it shouldn't be a Vulkan application problem. More likely a driver issue. Unfortunately, beyond sending a report to the support people (nvidia in this case), there's probably not a whole lot that can be done if you must use VK_PRESENT_MODE_FIFO_KHR. In that case, the actual best response really is: don't use vsync (because there's nothing else that you can do).

Leeo97one commented on 25 November 2018 at 12:43 pm UTC

Yeah, also think it's a driver issue, which is why I first reported the problem on the NVIDIA Developer Forums. And then, I shared the link here to see if "Is anyone able to confirm/reproduce this problem?".
Of course I know that I can disable v-sync or Vulkan in some cases, but this will not fix the issue itself. I really want the NVIDIA driver to be as good as possible.

But anyway, thanks for your suggestion, I'll try with other present modes such as VK_PRESENT_MODE_MAILBOX_KHR, if possible.

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts