Thoughts on Console Gaming
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
g000h Nov 24, 2018
Something I have been thinking about recently:

I normally don't pay too much attention to console gaming, because I don't own a current generation console, and have a sizeable selection of games I'm able to play on Linux. However, about a year ago, I was swayed by Horizon Zero Dawn - Thinking wow, what a game; I'd love to play that but I don't want to play on a console (or on a gamepad). It was released exclusively on Sony PS4 consoles, so (1) It sucks to be an XBOX gamer, (2) It sucks to be a Windows gamer - "Who is a second class citizen NOW?!?"

More recently I've been watching game play videos of Red Dead Redemption 2 (on PS4 Pro and XBOX ONE X) and I have to say - That game is "staggeringly good". It is the latest from Rockstar (the GTA people). To put it into perspective, it is better than The Witcher 3. Also it takes advantage of all the latest tech, e.g. you can play it on a HDR 4K TV at 4K resolution, with HDR10 support, running smoothly at 60 fps (on a XOX). Fabulous First Person RPG, with highest quality graphics. In the case of this game, it was released exclusively on the two primary consoles (Microsoft and Sony) but not on any other platform (e.g. Windows, Mac, Linux, Nintendo). Admittedly, I don't think Mac or Nintendo would be powerful enough for it anyway.

Suffice to say, yet again it is Windows who is the second class citizen in this situation (just like us Linux gamers have to put up with all the time!)

I didn't know this, but looked it up and Rockstar's previous big title, GTA V was originally on the consoles only, but then got released onto Windows eventually (more than 1 year later).

Looking at various online comments by interested parties, it would seem that Horizon Zero Dawn, and others in the Sony catalogue will eventually get to Windows. Also it is likely that Rockstar will release Red Dead Redemption 2 onto Windows, eventually as well. Just me speculating, but I wouldn't expect HZD to hit Windows for another 6 months, and RDR2 to hit Windows for 12 months minimum (more likely 18 months).

My investigation of the above lead me onto another fact which is quite detrimental towards Linux gaming (and also gaming on Steam client)...

Microsoft have this system that they call "XBOX Play Anywhere" and let's say you have a Console Exclusive release (e.g. RDR2, Forza Motorsport 7, etc) and you own an XBOX console, THEN if you buy the game on XBOX you also get the game on Windows too (once it arrives there). It's not dissimilar to Steam's "Buy a game and then play it on all the platforms on which you own it."

I can see that locking amazingly good games behind Console Exclusives, and then once the game finally reaches Windows/PC platform, then you get it on Windows "for free" - Well - It won't be good for Steam and it won't be good for Mac or Linux gaming either.

Okay, well, feel free to discuss further..
tuubi Nov 24, 2018
What? There are good games on other platforms, and I might not get to play them? Not only that, but they've got the best games with all the latest buzzwords and abbreviations!

Hey Valve. The competition is doing a thing they call exclusives now. You might as well give up. You can't possibly survive this.
g000h Nov 24, 2018
Quoting: tuubiWhat? There are good games on other platforms, and I might not get to play them? Not only that, but they've got the best games with all the latest buzzwords and abbreviations!

Hey Valve. The competition is doing a thing they call exclusives now. You might as well give up. You can't possibly survive this.

Hi there. Thanks for the comment. I see what you're saying - There are great games that are not Console Exclusives, but I'm talking about two big things here:

The premise that there are some really really good Console Exclusives (e.g. HZD, RDR2, GTAV) which sways the general public to buy said console. e.g. "I need a PS4 Pro to play that cool game HZD *NOW*". I expect games of this quality would seriously tempt Windows, Mac, Linux players away from those platforms.

Then, the XBOX Play Anywhere does a great job of keeping those same general public using XBOX console or Windows to play those really appealing titles, to the detriment of the other platforms. It's not as if the person is going to need to or want to buy it again. They're being actively encouraged to stay in the Microsoft eco-system.
Cyril Nov 24, 2018
I don't have a current generation console, I only have a NES and a Playstation 2.
I don't really want to play these exclusives AAA console games, since I don't want to buy/participate in their closed machine, business system etc.
I'm ok with just buying the CD/DVD/Blu-ray of a certain game and play it with an emulator (if it exist and runs well).
A game can be good, it's not really related to the hardware.

As your thoughts about future releases of some games on Windows, I don't believe it but if I'm wrong nice for you.
All GTA games were/are on Windows, but for Red Dead Redemption (and others) it's an other story.
There are even people asking for a DRM-Free release on GOG of this sort of game, a Steam release would be unbelievable so a DRM-Free one... :D
I think the best option is to have a very nice emulator (like RPCS3), some games will remain console exclusives.

Personally I'm a bit tired of this ecosystem, their bullshit, lies, new machines to just push the high graphics and so on.
I mean it's worse than big graphics card for PC where you can just play lightweight games with the same hardware/system for years, and even get the new ones without change that.
On consoles, even lightweight games won't be released on a previous generation even if it would run pretty well, since the new one is out etc.

OK, I'm a bit angry here. ^_^
tuubi Nov 24, 2018
Sorry for the sarcasm in my previous comment, My point was mostly that there are and there always have been really good games on other platforms, whichever platform you happen to be gaming on. I don't see why we should be worried about it this time.
Arehandoro Nov 25, 2018
As a mainly PC gamer, Windows in the past and Linux now, I only get current generation of Nintendo consoles (Last Sony console was a PSP and from Microsoft a Xbox 360). I don't see the point having any Sony/Microsoft console when most of the catalogue it's, or will be, released eventually for our platform. Sometimes at the same time, sometimes delayed but being a gamer that mostly play offline that's not a big deal. And now less than ever thanks to the huge progress of wine/proton and the ever increasing titles published for Linux. Granted, some games from PS4/XBO might pique my interest sometimes but one can't have everything.

Nintendo, however, have all those first-party games that will never be released anywhere else plus a huge plethora of weird/innovative games, mostly from Japan, that aren't possible in other platforms thanks to the unique features of devices like Nintendo DS or the joy-cons.
Salvatos Nov 25, 2018
First, regarding the point that console exclusives reaching Windows eventually is bad for Linux, I don't get that. I see the opposite: once there's a Windows client out there, we can run it through Wine. Of course it takes time, and it will likely take work to make it run well, but between GPU upgrades and delayed Linux releases I'm used to waiting. As Arehandoro said, the fact that I rarely play online multiplayers helps.

Second, there's always the option of renting a console (unless that's not a thing in your area) to play a particular game. I actually bought a second-hand PS4 and a second-hand TV to play Horizon: Zero Dawn, then gave the console to a friend for his birthday (the TV died on me after I was done playing, otherwise it was also supposed to be part of the gift). If you already own a TV and you can't rent games where you live, you could always buy a second-hand console and resell it after you're done. Even if you don't quite break even, you'll get to enjoy the console/games for a while for much cheaper than a rental.

Otherwise, when it comes to Sony, hopefully those games will make it to PS Now eventually, which you can run on Wine. (I checked and unfortunately HZD isn't there yet.)
damarrin Nov 26, 2018
Quite a bit of fud here in this thread.

Sony games coming to windows? That doesn’t happen. RDR2 doesn’t count as it’s a 3rd party game and R* routinely support various platforms. PS Now doesn’t count either.

Console games are expensive as the platform holder takes a sizeable cut. Everything goes through them and you can’t avoid their involvement when putting out your game. Computer games are different in that you don’t need to talk to MS or Apple in order to make and put out a game for Win or macOS.

Like it or not, all platforms thrive on exclusives. This is most visible with games, but pertains to other software as well. Linux has no interested commercial entity backing it and no exclusive software, which means other platforms will always have more, which in turn means there’s no practical reason to run Linux unless you’re into the open source philosophy or for other similar reasons and are willing to jump through some serious hoops to keep using it.

Example: in this country here where I live the state puts out some software which is required for small businesses to run. It’s windows only. They say it’s a problem for only a couple of per cent of user so it doesn’t matter. On a philosophical level they’re very harmful as they are fostering the MS monopoly, since you have to be a raving pro-Linux and/or anti-MS zealot to waste huge amounts of time trying (and often failing) to get said software to run. The only practically sensible thing to do is get a machine with Windows, even if you view Linux favourably and it would otherwise work fine for your business needs.

You could say the state has an obligation to not strengthen one company’s market position, one which already has a monopoly to boot, and you would be right. Which is exactly what they are doing in the guise of “supporting the majority of their users”. There’s no one with a commercial interest talking Linux up and sending their salesmen to convince people their product is the best and that’s really what this boils down to.
g000h Nov 26, 2018
Quoting: damarrinQuite a bit of fud here in this thread.

Sony games coming to windows?

You're probably right about that. The internet contains so much fake news, it is hard to validate truth one way or the other. I regularly doubt anything that I read.

If anything, this still puts us in the position that you are forced to buy specific hardware/operating system for particular game titles - which is annoying.

Still, I feel my other points are reasonably valid, namely:

If there is a staggeringly good game, such as GTA V or RDR2, which is released onto Consoles only, then people are forced to buy a console and invest money in that ecosystem, which keeps them engaged in that ecosystem.

Microsoft's position of creating a console ecosystem and Windows ecosystem, means that they are able to have console exclusives, drawing people to their console, and then offer the same game free to the Windows ecosystem when it is released on Windows. This free game would be on Windows Store, so I don't think people will just be able to fire up WINE and play it on Linux. It will only be executable if you have the Microsoft Store running validating your credentials, i.e. locking the game to your copy of Windows and not accessible to WINE.
damarrin Nov 26, 2018
Yes, MS have put themselves in a very comfortable position. Computer = Windows, all software is developed primarily for and on Windows, that latter including games for Sony and Nintendo consoles.

I also think Sony is in a position and could gain from undermining MS's dominance by supporting e.g. Linux with their Playstation-related software, but they obviously don't think it's worth doing/haven't thought about it/aren't even aware that it is an issue.
Arehandoro Nov 26, 2018
Quoting: damarrinExample: in this country here where I live the state puts out some software which is required for small businesses to run. It’s windows only. They say it’s a problem for only a couple of per cent of user so it doesn’t matter. On a philosophical level they’re very harmful as they are fostering the MS monopoly, since you have to be a raving pro-Linux and/or anti-MS zealot to waste huge amounts of time trying (and often failing) to get said software to run. The only practically sensible thing to do is get a machine with Windows, even if you view Linux favourably and it would otherwise work fine for your business needs.

You could say the state has an obligation to not strengthen one company’s market position, one which already has a monopoly to boot, and you would be right. Which is exactly what they are doing in the guise of “supporting the majority of their users”. There’s no one with a commercial interest talking Linux up and sending their salesmen to convince people their product is the best and that’s really what this boils down to.

I would write a letter/email to the government with "No Tux no Bucks" xD
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.