Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Thoughts on Console Gaming
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
tuubi Nov 26, 2018
Quoting: damarrinLinux has no interested commercial entity backing it and no exclusive software, which means other platforms will always have more, which in turn means there’s no practical reason to run Linux unless you’re into the open source philosophy or for other similar reasons and are willing to jump through some serious hoops to keep using it.
You lost me there.
damarrin Nov 27, 2018
I will be more than happy to be proven wrong :-)
GustyGhost Nov 27, 2018
Letting go of exclusives is part of the process of becoming truly free.

Exclusive = hostage. Remember that.
tuubi Nov 27, 2018
Quoting: damarrinI will be more than happy to be proven wrong :-)
Your claim that Linux has "no commercial entity backing it" isn't really true now is it? But maybe you'll start moving the goalposts and tell us that you were talking about gaming specifically, and that what Valve is doing isn't what you meant by "backing it".

As for the rest: How do I prove I'm not jumping through hoops? Or that I'm using Linux because I feel it's more practical? Or that practical reasons brought me to Linux, not the philosophy?
damarrin Nov 28, 2018
Do I see ads for computers with Linux on tv? Or before a film at the cinema? Or on billboards around town? Do I see hardware companies say on their websites “xxx recommends Linux”? Do I see ads for prominent electronic store chains showcasing laptops with Linux on their screens?

Any way you look at it, there is no company paying money to other companies to advertise Linux or make software for it. MS probably hasn’t done the latter for some 20 years now, Apple probably for 10, but they are both everywhere you look. Linux is nowhere to be seen.

Valve is doing excellent work, but what it boils down to so far is they throw things out there and hope they stick. They haven’t.

And I don’t need you to prove anything to me. I use Linux every day and I know what it’s like. It’s my opinion and I stand by it. You’re free to have your own.
razing32 Nov 28, 2018
My opinion on consoles is fairly negative.
There was a time when they were dedicated to games and playing was easy , just put in disk/cartridge and play.
I recall having to struggle with IRQ ports and SoundBlaster with my first PC
Nowadays they seem to be just under-powered PCs. With less customization and choice. And the big publishers seem to be more interested in micro transactions than making good games.
Also exclusives are only for the benefit of the industry as far as I am concerned. Yes it will sell more consoles. But not because the console is better but because the game can only be played on brand X.
That being said , play games on whatever you like. I don't like the industry but people can play on what they like.(as long as they don't support predatory lootboxes)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.