You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Valve misses an opportunity to encourage users to switch to Linux.
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
GustyGhost Dec 11, 2018
Valve is ending Steam support for Windows XP and Vista in 2019. ( https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1558-AFCM-4577 ) They go on to encourage users to upgrade to newer Windows to "ensure future access" to games. The only thing this ensures is that users continue to depend on Microsoft to not pull support out from under their feet.
ageres Dec 16, 2018
Valve don't care what OS are you using as long as you have Steam on it installed. They support Linux to expand their user base, not to make Windows users switch to Linux. Maybe they should have said "install a Steam-compatible OS", but whatever.
What Linux distribution would a WinXP user install? Ubuntu 4.10?
lucinos Dec 16, 2018
Quoting: ageresValve don't care what OS are you using as long as you have Steam on it installed. They support Linux to expand their user base, not to make Windows users switch to Linux. Maybe they should have said "install a Steam-compatible OS", but whatever.
What Linux distribution would a WinXP user install? Ubuntu 4.10?

Actually Debian stable with a lightweight desktop is doing great on these computers. It is the 90s computers that are too old for any recent linux distro. That said if the gpu/cpu is that old, you are very limited in games, more limited than with WinXP.
ageres Dec 16, 2018
I mean XP users' habits to use very outdated software, not their PC configurations.
Kandarihu Dec 16, 2018
While it might be useful to our cause for Valve to ask users of outdated versions of Windows to switch to Linux, this might interfere with their ability to launch some games that they've already enjoyed. This is probably going to be much less of a problem on newer Windows. Once Steamplay Proton is ready or nearly ready to roll out of Beta phase, they might be able to responsibly ask Windows users to switch to Linux. But that time hasn't come yet.
GustyGhost Dec 16, 2018
QuoteIt is the 90s computers that are too old for any recent linux distro.

off topic: As long as distros keep pushing out i686 builds it is honestly entirely possible to get by on late 90s hardware. I've played around a bit with SATA-PATA adapters, PCIe-PCI adapters and it's kind of amazing what can be made to run on such old platforms.
slaapliedje Dec 16, 2018
Quoting: KandarihuWhile it might be useful to our cause for Valve to ask users of outdated versions of Windows to switch to Linux, this might interfere with their ability to launch some games that they've already enjoyed. This is probably going to be much less of a problem on newer Windows. Once Steamplay Proton is ready or nearly ready to roll out of Beta phase, they might be able to responsibly ask Windows users to switch to Linux. But that time hasn't come yet.

Actually I've ran into MANY games that work better under Wine than they do in anything newer than XP. Interstate '76 is a prime example.
slaapliedje Dec 16, 2018
Quoting: GustyGhost
QuoteIt is the 90s computers that are too old for any recent linux distro.

off topic: As long as distros keep pushing out i686 builds it is honestly entirely possible to get by on late 90s hardware. I've played around a bit with SATA-PATA adapters, PCIe-PCI adapters and it's kind of amazing what can be made to run on such old platforms.
Yeah, this is why finding old Thinkpads for cheap on eBay is an interesting idea. They are tanks that last forever and Linux works awesomely on them.
ageres Dec 17, 2018
What was so good and innovative in XP? Zero security? The need to install and update every driver by hand? Freezes for seconds when you open a CD or FDD? BSoDs? Performing slower and slower with every installed update or program? Not be able to deal with SSDs properly? Huge disk fragmentation immediately after the installation? Gosh, I'm very glad that OS died. Maybe it was good in 2001, but even Vista was better for me than XP.
ageres Dec 17, 2018
Like these?

(they are not mine, just a random photo from the Internet)
damarrin Dec 17, 2018
Quoting: ageresWhat was so good and innovative in XP? Zero security? The need to install and update every driver by hand? Freezes for seconds when you open a CD or FDD? BSoDs? Performing slower and slower with every installed update or program? Not be able to deal with SSDs properly? Huge disk fragmentation immediately after the installation? Gosh, I'm very glad that OS died. Maybe it was good in 2001, but even Vista was better for me than XP.

Oh come on. Those were completely different days. Though I'll give you the slowdown after updates. I remember having a speedy laptop on SP1, then getting SP2 and my boot time practically tripling IIRC.

XP was the last version of Windows I used extensively. I still have no idea what they were thinking with the skin and colour theme. I moved to the Mac around 2005 and then a few years later became the Linux nerd that I am now.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.