You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Most linuxy ethernet switch for home usage?
madchaotikan commented on 2 January 2019 at 11:56 pm UTC

Dear Linux Users,

as a passioned linux user I’m wondering what would be the most linuxy ethernet switch out there?

I’m willing to pay a bit more for the good thing and supporting open source/free software. Also I’m clearly an victim of hardware for enthusiasms. Therefore featurewise NBase-T (2,5/5 gbit) are in scope. Nice to have would be the option of creating bonds and managing vlans. On the other hand i do not need more than 8 ports as i just have 5-6 devices connected via cable based lan. So 16 ports seems to be an upper limit.

Using a dedicated classical x86 pc with a lot of networkcards is not what I’m looking for. But I am always open regarding using raspis. At the end i want to have a plug’n’play usbale switch.

Minimal objective: At least i would like to buy a product from a really linux friendly company. Best would be to know linux friendliest network hardware provider.

Any suggestions? What are you using? Any further thoughts?

Shmerl commented on 3 January 2019 at 1:55 am UTC

I'm simply using a router (Linksys WRT1900ACS). Not really fancy like professional switches or anything, but does a decent job for gigabit connections and WiFi. You can run open source DD-WRT or OpenWRT on it. The WiFi driver is also open source.

14 commented on 3 January 2019 at 6:23 am UTC

ClearOS offers some hardware appliances, although their software is much more suited for routing and small business server needs.

I am a fan of the UniFi networking hardware and software. While I don't have enough knowledge of their background to say whether or not they're pro Linux, you can SSH into their devices and you can run their web UI on a Linux host. Also, you do not have to create any accounts or register your devices in order to download updates (as opposed to the annoying Cisco company). However, I am not sure that they offer the higher speeds you're looking for. Be prepared to spend >$1,000 for those speeds.

I recently set up a small office with a 24-port Netgear switch. Each port was capable of 10G. So many products offer browser-based user interfaces these days that you're not going to be spending time on a command line unless you're managing many devices at scale.

TobyGornow commented on 3 January 2019 at 12:00 pm UTC

Pfsense / OPNsense could be what you're looking for, they're firewall & router distributions.

Personally, I use a cheap TP-link AC1750 running DD-Wrt and it' working great

slaapliedje commented on 3 January 2019 at 9:20 pm UTC

I'm confused, are you talking about a router (something that will route packages from systems to the internet) or a switch (which just sits in your network and passes network traffic along)? I weirdly (for reasons) have managed switches at my house Generally buy TP-Link, because they are semi-decent, and don't cost a crapload.

madchaotikan commented on 4 January 2019 at 11:09 pm UTC

I’m really talking about a managed switch cause I’m using vlan and link aggregation. I would like to take a 16 port modell. If an e.g. Open-WRT driven or similar router fullfills my needs I would be fine to use it.

The initial question has some kind of morale component. I would like to buy from a company dedicated to free and open software. Also I would prefer an as open as possible hardware.

No mentioned, but usually I try to buy products that have been manufactured under fair conditions. Sustainability is also a factor.

And I’m willing to pay more if those ethical standards are met.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Build Up: „Widelands“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts