Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
[Steam] [Rocket League] Impossible to play, game's window is black and the system freezes after 30s, forcing to hard reboot
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Massinissa Jan 4, 2019
Hello everyone and happy new year!

I happen to like the Solus distribution, everything works fine, I'm happy, it's fast etc...

But when I installed steam, every game worked except Rocket League which happens to always make my system freeze totally (if I had some music playing, it would stop, andthe mouse is frozen too). Forcing me to hard reboot. I waited several patches, thinking it may be a temporary bug but it's not.

I already asked for help on Rocket League's subreddit and posted information asked by the person who helped me. So you may already have answers to questions you'd want to ask me. Here's the topic.

Do you have any clue what may cause this ?
Massinissa Jan 8, 2019
Quoting: GuestG'day Massinissa,

Have you run "verify integrity of game files" via games properties through steam?

Right click RL > Properties > Local files > Verify integrity of game files.

I know it's asking the obvious, but the suggestion seemed absent in your link, nor had you mentioned you'd attempted. Beyond that: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting.
Hey :)

I tried deleting and reinstalling the game several times, each time verifying the files integrity, before asking for help on reddit. But you have to ask the obvious for a good diagnosis. Unfortunately it didn't fix anything. And I tried looking for a solution on the Archlinux wiki (I often end there when I have a problem xD ), but either they don't have my issue listed, or I missed it.
chui2ch Jan 8, 2019
Are you using LSI on solus?
Massinissa Jan 8, 2019
Quoting: chui2chAre you using LSI on solus?
Itried with and without, and the various options it offers, without success. The only difference is that when I enable all options (including forcing 32bits libs), the game crashes rather quickly and I return to desktop, while without this, the system just freezes to death.
Massinissa Jan 8, 2019
Quoting: GuestSteam games are supported by two Debian based distributions, SteamOS and Ubuntu. Rolling release OS is modern computing so use Debian testing/sid Xfce (that is a stable desktop). Use Oibaf ppa Mesa cosmic version and the latest mainline or AMD wip kernel for open source drivers. Use the run file from nvidia site to install the nvidia blob. It is easy to remove with one command.

Debian was one of my previous choices, but several software that I must use are lacking on Debian and have no clear documentation for the noob I am to compile and install these softwares (Godot, gem, and a few other), and ubuntu (and mint) it too slow on my laptop. After that I discovered Solus which suited me well better.
Massinissa Jan 8, 2019
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: MassinissaGodot, gem

Debian has over 60 000 packages and godot and gem are there. Easy to install with Synaptic.
godot
gem

Debian testing Xfce is light and fast. Runs fine with in an old pentium III 10 inch tabletPC.

When I tried godot wasn't there, they fixed it,okay (look here https://github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/8983 for proof). And it's not this gem package I'm talking about. And please don't make this a distro war it's totally counterproductive, it didn't work on Debian either and steam was painful to install for a noob like me. Can you help identify what causes this problem that could happen to someone else or are you just interested in making people use debian ?
chui2ch Jan 8, 2019
So rocket league did not work for you on Debian either. Can you add your system information to your profile, or list it here.
Massinissa Jan 9, 2019
Quoting: chui2chSo rocket league did not work for you on Debian either. Can you add your system information to your profile, or list it here.
Here you go :
neofetch :
Spoiler, click me
me@gilgamesh ~ $ neofetch
-````` me@gilgamesh
`-+/------------.` ---------------
.---:mNo---------------. OS: Solus x86_64
.-----yMMMy:---------------. Host: CR62 2M REV:1.0
`------oMMMMMm/----------------` Kernel: 4.19.12-106.current
.------/MMMMMMMN+----------------. Uptime: 10 mins
.------/NMMMMMMMMm-+/--------------. Packages: 1058 (eopkg), 5 (flatpak)
`------/NMMMMMMMMMN-:mh/-------------` Shell: bash 4.4.19
.-----/NMMMMMMMMMMM:-+MMd//oso/:-----. Resolution: 1366x768
-----/NMMMMMMMMMMMM+--mMMMh::smMmyo:-- DE: Budgie
----+NMMMMMMMMMMMMMo--yMMMMNo-:yMMMMd/. Theme: Breeze-Dark [GTK2/3]
.--oMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMy--yMMMMMMh:-yMMMy-` Icons: Papirus [GTK2/3]
`-sMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMh--dMMMMMMMd:/Ny+y. Terminal: gnome-terminal
`-/+osyhhdmmNNMMMMMm-/MMMMMMMmh+/ohm+ CPU: Intel i7-5700HQ (8) @ 3.500GHz
.------------:://+-/++++++oshddys: GPU: Intel HD Graphics 5600
-hhhhyyyyyyyyyyyhhhhddddhysssso- Memory: 1376MiB / 3859MiB
`:ossssssyysssssssssssssssso:`
`:+ssssssssssssssssssss+-
`-/+ssssssssssso+/-`
`.-----..`

me@gilgamesh ~ $

lscpu (sorry, my locale is French)
Spoiler, click me
me@gilgamesh ~ $ lscpu
Architecture : x86_64
Mode(s) opératoire(s) des processeurs : 32-bit, 64-bit
Boutisme : Little Endian
Tailles des adresses: 39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
Processeur(s) : 8
Liste de processeur(s) en ligne : 0-7
Thread(s) par cœur : 2
Cœur(s) par socket : 4
Socket(s) : 1
Nœud(s) NUMA : 1
Identifiant constructeur : GenuineIntel
Famille de processeur : 6
Modèle : 71
Nom de modèle : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5700HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz
Révision : 1
Vitesse du processeur en MHz : 1398.537
Vitesse maximale du processeur en MHz : 3500,0000
Vitesse minimale du processeur en MHz : 800,0000
BogoMIPS : 5387.36
Virtualisation : VT-x
Cache L1d : 32K
Cache L1i : 32K
Cache L2 : 256K
Cache L3 : 6144K
Nœud NUMA 0 de processeur(s) : 0-7
Drapaux : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rdseed adx smap intel_pt xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln pts flush_l1d
me@gilgamesh ~ $

inxi :
Spoiler, click me
me@gilgamesh ~ $ inxi
CPU: Quad Core Intel Core i7-5700HQ (-MT MCP-)
speed/min/max: 1697/800/3500 MHz Kernel: 4.19.12-106.current x86_64 Up: 14m
Mem: 1424.8/3859.1 MiB (36.9%) Storage: 931.51 GiB (10.5% used) Procs: 224
Shell: bash 4.4.19 inxi: 3.0.29
me@gilgamesh ~ $

If any other information is needed tell me, I ran out of ideas and of commands for this
chui2ch Jan 9, 2019
I was trying to find something about your problem. I found a post on the steam forums about someone having the same problems, but no solution. It may be a Intel driver issue with rocket league. after you have the system freeze and you restart run the command cat /var/log/syslog and see if it gives you any useful info.
Massinissa Jan 9, 2019
Quoting: chui2chI was trying to find something about your problem. I found a post on the steam forums about someone having the same problems, but no solution. It may be a Intel driver issue with rocket league. after you have the system freeze and you restart run the command cat /var/log/syslog and see if it gives you any useful info.

The file doesn't exist, I tried twice :/
but when I posted on reddit before posting here, the person who helped me made me post some logs, i don't know which one will be useful.
Massinissa Jan 22, 2019
Ok, out of rage, I tried several distributions (debian, manjaro, ubuntu), wwithout success. And when I tried solus again, it worked out of the box. Loading times are a nightmare. This is solved.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.