Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
which distro for I7 7700 and ATX 1050 TI
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
RickM Jan 11, 2019
I have a new build computer with I7 7700 and ATX 1050 TI and would like to try Linux but am totally snowed in here with all the distros available

Could anyone suggest what I should try - I guess I am thinking mostly of support for the video card

Thanks, Rick
DoctorJunglist Jan 11, 2019
I recommend Solus. It has all the relevant Nvidia drivers branches.

The default drivers for your card are atm at version 415.25.
Liam Dawe Jan 11, 2019
Just go with Ubuntu, seriously. It's the easiest distribution around.
RickM Jan 11, 2019
thanks so far - I am considering Fedora over Ubuntu - would be happy to hear any reasons why I should not do Fedora
Liam Dawe Jan 11, 2019
Well, why are you considering it over Ubuntu? Ubuntu is one of the most beginner friendly distributions around and the main one supported by game developers.
Xpander Jan 11, 2019
Go with Ubuntu or similar. Fedora is not supported officially by most games and steam itself, driver installation can be troublesome for new users etc.
RickM Jan 11, 2019
was considering Fedora since less overhead - more streamlined

but thanks - now it looks like I'll go with the vote here
wvstolzing Jan 11, 2019
Fedora user here -- I also think that you should go with Ubuntu; but only because that would make for a smoother start. After you get some experience, come to understand what you really want from a distro, etc., you'll want to try out other distros anyway.

Fedora doesn't really have any major drawbacks for gaming (not being able to build 32 bit wine [quirks having to do with multilib support in Fedora] is about the only gaming-related frustration I can recall having in a very long time). It's also real easy to add multimedia & proprietary driver repos. It's a pretty fast moving distro, and occasionally (rarely) a kernel update might break the proprietary nvidia drivers -- which is not a big deal, as it's easily fixed. But still, with Ubuntu you don't have to think about any of this right as you're starting out.

If you want something with less overhead, by the way, you might want to try Xubuntu first. It's standard Ubuntu that comes default with a somewhat simpler (in my opinion, FAR more useable) desktop environment. Check out www.xubuntu.org and decide for yourself.
mrdeathjr Jan 11, 2019
As other said ubuntu could be more friendly, however fedora is usefull for work

Maybe can begin with lubuntu / xubuntu / ubuntu mate

Gnome and kde needs some tweaks

^_^
DoctorJunglist Jan 11, 2019
GNOME comes ootb with the most essential extensions on most distros (eg Solus, Ubuntu, Antergos).

Also, with this kind of hardware, he shouldn't really worry about any overhead. The games performance won't be affected be the DE of choice.

In my experience, Ubuntu is not the easiest. Why? Because the upgrades between releases don't always work correctly. I've always had headaches when upgrading between releases.
TobyGornow Jan 11, 2019
You could try Mint with Cinnamon for an easy transition from Windows, almost no configuration needed it just works and you have access to the latest Ubuntu drivers from PPA but sadly not the latest Kernel, but with your config it should be more than fine.

Manjaro could be a nice introduction too in my opinion.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.