Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
FreeSync for Nvidia Cards
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
melkemind Jan 18, 2019
Nvidia recently announced that the latest Nvidia drivers (for Windows) now support FreeSync. I've tested it, and it actually works very well. Have any of your heard if this functionality will come to Linux?
MaCroX95 Jan 18, 2019
Nvidia doesn't even support vsync correctly on Linux, their proprietary drivers are a mess when it comes to integration into kernel and tearing prevention on Xorg. So let's wait and see I guess
jens Jan 18, 2019
  • Supporter
@melkemind As far as I know any details regarding support for Linux are not (yet) known.
See also https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/nvidia-to-support-vesa-adaptive-sync-with-g-sync-compatible-branding.13296
Shmerl Jan 18, 2019
If you want FreeSync, better get AMD which should implement it correctly. Even if Nvidia will implement adaptive sync through DP let's say, there is no guarantee it will work with compositors and standard Linux graphics stack. Given their track record of very poor integration (DRM/KMS, Wayland, PRIME and etc.), I'd even expect it not to. With AMD we know they plan to make it work. Kernel support is already in 5.0.
chui2ch Jan 18, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlIf you want FreeSync, better get AMD which should implement it correctly. Even if Nvidia will implement adaptive sync through DP let's say, there is no guarantee it will work with compositors and standard Linux graphics stack. Given their track record of very poor integration (DRM/KMS, Wayland, PRIME and etc.), I'd by even expect it not to. With AMD we know they plan to make it work. Kernel support is already in 5.0.

Gsync currently works on Linux, why would enabling adaptive sync on Linux not work? As far as I can tell right now AMD freesync suffers from all the draw backs that gsync on Linux does.

My next GPU will be AMD, but it would be nice if I could buy freesync monitors and use them until I am ready to make the switch.
Shmerl Jan 18, 2019
Quoting: chui2chGsync currently works on Linux, why would enabling adaptive sync on Linux not work? As far as I can tell right now AMD freesync suffers from all the draw backs that gsync on Linux does.

My next GPU will be AMD, but it would be nice if I could buy freesync monitors and use them until I am ready to make the switch.

I don't know how exactly the integration will work. I'm just saying with Nvidia it's always more risky, since good integration isn't their primary goal, if history is teaching us anything.
melkemind Jan 19, 2019
Quoting: chui2chGsync currently works on Linux, why would enabling adaptive sync on Linux not work? As far as I can tell right now AMD freesync suffers from all the draw backs that gsync on Linux does.

From my tests, I think it's definitely worth it for games with framerates that tend to fluctuate. If it ever causes trouble on the desktop or in a particular game, it's easy to disable in the monitor's settings.

I bought my monitor because it was an ultrawide (21:9) on sale. It just happened to have FreeSync support, so I never actually intended to use it back then.
TheRiddick Feb 16, 2019
Has anyone successfully got a second monitor to work with gsync? I have tried setting up the second monitor as a Screen 1 server and the main on Screen 0, but to no avail. Seems like the driver just won't allow two screens with GSYNC under Linux.. NVIDIA REALLY need to fix that!
chui2ch Feb 16, 2019
It's a limitation of X. You would need the game to span both monitors to be able to flip. As of right now disabling the second monitor is the only option.
Mohandevir Jun 4, 2020
Just put my hands on an LG29wk500 monitor (21:9 - 2560x1080) with Freesync. Thing is, theres is no DP port. Just HDMI. Am I doomed or is it DP on the GPU, that matters?
CatKiller Jun 4, 2020
Quoting: MohandevirJust put my hands on an LG29wk500 monitor (21:9 - 2560x1080) with Freesync. Thing is, theres is no DP port. Just HDMI. Am I doomed or is it DP on the GPU, that matters?

You're not inherently doomed.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync-faq#faq-Does-AMD-FreeSync%E2%84%A2-technology-work-over-HDMI%C2%AE?

QuoteDoes AMD FreeSync™ technology work over HDMI®?

Yes, FreeSync technology has supported HDMI since its inception. Many FreeSync certified displays have supported variable refresh rate technologies over HDMI since long before HDMI 2.1 was released and HDMI VRR was adopted. Buying a FreeSync certified display that supports FreeSync over HDMI, provides the immediate benefit of variable refresh rate, even if the display does not support HDMI 2.1.

I don't know about under Linux, and I don't know about with an Nvidia GPU (16:10 is more important to me than VRR), but it is theoretically possible.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.