Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Skyrim (Steam Play) not detecting my graphics card
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
DevynKo Jan 30, 2019
When I launch skyrim, the launcher only shows my onboard graphics, and doesnt show my AMD graphics card. It launches but runs unbearably slow. Anyone have a fix?
tuxintuxedo Jan 30, 2019
I might be wrong, but since when can people change their default video card inside a game?
You have to launch Steam with your AMD card from the beginning.
DevynKo Jan 30, 2019
I dont know if your meant to "change" it in the options but it does show a graphic adapter option.

https://imgur.com/FPSdikE
tuxintuxedo Jan 30, 2019
Well, that's not common.
But don't forget, SteamPlay works through Wine, so it probably won't see everything on your system as they are. Start the Steam client with the AMD card and it should work this way.
DevynKo Jan 30, 2019
Quoting: tuxintuxedoWell, that's not common.
But don't forget, SteamPlay works through Wine, so it probably won't see everything on your system as they are. Start the Steam client with the AMD card and it should work this way.

How do I go about doing that.
tuxintuxedo Jan 30, 2019
Open Terminal: DRI_PRIME=1 steam
This should do the trick.
DevynKo Jan 31, 2019
Quoting: tuxintuxedoOpen Terminal: DRI_PRIME=1 steam
This should do the trick.

This does make the game see my Graphics Card. But its still running at like 5 fps, if that. My laptop should have no problem running the game spec wise(and didnt have any problems on windows). Any performance ideas? Also That command has to be entered every time I start steam. Any way I can make steam launch automatically with those settings without putting the command in the terminal?

Also, when I try to close the game it freezes up my computer. I have to CRL ALT DELETE and logoff to fix it.
damarrin Jan 31, 2019
Skyrim always freezes on close, though it's never frozen the whole computer for me. I just switch workspaces and start up system monitor or the terminal and kill it from there.
tuxintuxedo Jan 31, 2019
Well, you haven't told us what graphics card you have and what system you use. Low FPS and freezes can mean many things.
DevynKo Jan 31, 2019
Quoting: damarrinSkyrim always freezes on close, though it's never frozen the whole computer for me. I just switch workspaces and start up system monitor or the terminal and kill it from there.

I tried but my mouse also disappears. So im only able to log off with using arrow keys.

Quoting: tuxintuxedoWell, you haven't told us what graphics card you have and what system you use. Low FPS and freezes can mean many things.

Yes sorry about that here are my specs.

DE: Cinnamon 4.0.9
CPU: Intel i7-3635QM (8) @ 3.400GHz
GPU: Intel Ivybridge Mobile
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8750M
Memory: 4174MiB / 7861MiB
tuxintuxedo Jan 31, 2019
First thing to do would be to use Padoka Mesa stable ppa. If you know how to do it.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.