Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Text color is too bright in dark theme
hagabaka Feb 6, 2019
In the dark theme, most text is in plain white (#fff), which makes it a little hard on the eyes. I suggest using a light gray color, especially for paragraphs. You can see the same practice on Steam's website for example. Even the default theme on this site doesn't use plain black text, but a dark gray.

Also, the "Create Post" button in the dark theme has blue text on a slightly different blue background.
Ehvis Feb 6, 2019
The blue text is also not particularly pleasant on the eyes.
Liam Dawe Feb 6, 2019
No worries, tomorrow night I shall make some improvements.

Feel free to note more down here.
Xpander Feb 7, 2019
Don't change it.. or well if you do please keep the current one. i like blue text and the white is fine on the dark also. i guess it all depends how your monitor is configured
tuubi Feb 7, 2019
Quoting: GuestI didn’t want to complain but I agree, I also found the text to be too bright and the background too dark.
I don't mind if Liam decides to make the text a bit less bright, but I'm perfectly happy with how dark the background is right now. I don't think we should completely butcher the dark theme. Some of us have been using and loving it as it is for quite a while after all. Also, what's the point of a dark theme that isn't dark?

Maybe what some of you want is a third, separate low-contrast theme? Not sure Liam's up for it though.
Liam Dawe Feb 8, 2019
I've fixed the blue new post button on the dark theme.

I've also adjusted the text, it's not so blinding white now while still being very clear to read longer paragraphs.
Xpander Feb 8, 2019
Quoting: liamdaweI've fixed the blue new post button on the dark theme.

I've also adjusted the text, it's not so blinding white now while still being very clear to read longer paragraphs.

Thanks, i was afraid that you might go with too much tweaking. Currently its nice. small adjustment made it a bit better (i liked the way it was before also). I just wouldn't like if you changed the blacks too much. I like it as dark as possible :)
Liam Dawe Feb 8, 2019
Quoting: Xpander
Quoting: liamdaweI've fixed the blue new post button on the dark theme.

Thanks, i was afraid that you might go with too much tweaking. Currently its nice. small adjustment made it a bit better (i liked the way it was before also). I just wouldn't like if you changed the blacks too much. I like it as dark as possible :)
Yeah, I wouldn't do anything massive because it's mostly good. The white text, however, was absolutely too big a contrast so it's been toned down around two levels. It's not a lot, but it is a big improvement and I wanted to do it for a while but kept forgetting. Much nicer on the eyes now overall.
Ehvis Feb 8, 2019
The blue still looks too dark to me. Not enough contrast with the background and too much with the rest of the text. The Steam site actually has a pretty nice blue shade for a dark background.

Also, the tags and share buttons on the article page pop out as the most important thing on the page. Those could be toned down a bit.

Personally I do think the whole background is too dark for day time use. Where I sit right now there is very little contrast between the boxes itself. Of course this isn't helped by having several PDFs open across my screens.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.