You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
RUST graphics glitches
g000h Apr 5, 2019
RUST has recently been updated to use Vulkan graphics for the native Linux build, and last month it was completely broken. In the mean time, the devs have been working on it (The break also affects the Windows Vulkan option, but Windows Direct-X option is still available).

This month, the game is running BUT it is still practically unplayable with massive graphics glitches. Looks like Facepunch didn't restore an older working version, based on OpenGL - which was working fine for Linux until early March 2019. We are now on the April update to RUST, and it does run, but the graphics is messed up.

Does anyone have a fix, or further information on this? (I'm using Nvidia graphics, driver 418.56)

I'm happy that there has been a bit of progress by the devs during March - At least the game is running again :/
nox Apr 5, 2019
I'll try to stay as unbiased as I can here and just present some facts, first:

• There is currently no known workaround

• They cannot rollback to opengl since new functions are built for vulkan

• They tried to fix it this patch, but it wasn't enough.

• Some user on reddit suggested another fix. Facepunch did officially respond to it and said they are currently continuing investigation.

So: We have to wait, or play the game with wine (not proton) on the few servers that doesn't require eac.

Now... I'm kinda tired of this. It's been over one month now of us having an unplayable game and it's still not fixed. I understand that we are low priority, but a whole month of this just isn't OK.
g000h Apr 6, 2019
A little bit more on this from my own testing. Unlike last month when the game was completely broken under Linux, this month it is playing and apart from the graphical glitching, it is working okay. Even with graphical glitches I've been able to forage and build a base, so it isn't far off a fully working version.

I notice that following the Wipe day (Thursday 4th April) the game did the usual Wipe day update, but then earlier on Saturday 6th my Steam client downloaded an additional 2GB update. I have just logged into my game session and tested it, and the graphical glitching is still there, unfortunately.

These are the two types of glitching that I'm getting:

1. When I have a tool or weapon active in my hand, then there is a textured mess on the screen obscuring the entire view. This goes away when the hand is empty. When the Building Tool is active, then the outline of what you are trying to place is working okay. Obviously the game is unplayable with this problem, because you cannot see what you are doing, e.g. when holding a weapon to fight against someone else.

2. The other type of graphical glitch appears as graphical artefacts, often appearing as one or two planes of colour across some of the screen. As you spin around, or look up and down, these artefacts appear and disappear.

All the options screens and crafting menus are working fine. I have gone through virtually all the graphical options tweaking the settings, and observing if any lower the amount of glitches, and some might help, but they don't eliminate the problem.

Fingers-crossed that there will be another update "soon", and maybe the problem is fixed.
dvd Apr 6, 2019
OT: for those who followed this game: will it come back to stores once they deem that the problems on linux are gone?
nox Apr 6, 2019
Quoting: dvdOT: for those who followed this game: will it come back to stores once they deem that the problems on linux are gone?

It's very likely. They've said that they will consider it when they reach a point where they are confident it's stable enough :)
g000h Apr 28, 2019
Sharing the latest news on RUST. Some smart Linux person has found an error in Facepunch's RUST game data and patched it, and following the patch, the graphical glitching goes away. I have been playing with the glitching for the past 3 weeks, approx 20 hours of play. (I haven't been able to fight, and I've been struggling with many aspects of play, but persevered as a sort of masochistic challenge.)

Details of the fix and patch link are here: https://old.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/bicub5/solution_for_rusts_model_explosion_on_linux_patch/

Noting that making an unofficial patch like this could trigger Easy Anti Cheat and get you banned, but I've done it for myself and played for 2 hours (so far) and so have some other people (in Steam Community) and it hasn't kicked them out (yet).

Hopefully Facepunch will take heed of this and fix their own official files in time for the next Wipe (a few days away).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.