Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
UPlay
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Dunc Apr 17, 2019
Is that... the Ubuntu font? (I installed the thing to try out Assassin's Creed Unity on the free giveaway. WineDB reports are good, but it's still downloading.)

I mean they're perfectly free to use it I suppose (it's released under a derivative of the SIL licence as far as I recall, and I've seen it all over the place), but c'mon... that's just trolling us, surely? :><:
chui2ch Apr 18, 2019
I know a uplay dev posted on Twitter about making uplay better on wine. So maybe not trolling. The tweat was directed @killyourfm, but I can't find it now.
sr_ls_boy Apr 18, 2019
I recently had some bad experiences with UPlay. When downloading via the client, it shuts down after a while. I discovered that the client leaks file descriptors badly, all 4096 of my soft limit. I'm trying to increase that to the hard limit but I'm not using systemd.

I wrote a post at the ubisoft forums detailing my experience but heard of no interest.

Ubisoft forums
Koopacabras Apr 18, 2019
downloading, hope it works, nice move by the way, donating 500k to notre dame.
https://www.pcgamer.com/assassins-creed-unity-free-notre-dame-donation/
wvstolzing Apr 18, 2019
Unity does work pretty well under Proton. Something worth mentioning is that starting from this game, they've been making 1:1 models of the monuments. If you're familiar with any of the cities they recreated in AC before this game, you may have noticed that the proportions were always a _little_ miniaturized -- not so with the Panthéon, the Notre Dame, the Luxembourg Gardens, etc. etc. I don't care for this game too much (several improvements in combat & mission design; but one soap-opera of a story and the events of the French Revolution pretty much squandered as a vague backdrop [although a pretty interesting take on the proto-fascism of Robespierre & Co.]) but the realization of the city is nothing short of amazing. I used to boot windows just to climb up and down buildings in this game.
Dunc Apr 18, 2019
Quoting: chancho_zombiedownloading, hope it works, nice move by the way, donating 500k to notre dame.
https://www.pcgamer.com/assassins-creed-unity-free-notre-dame-donation/
Definitely.

And, just to be clear, I was being a little tongue-in-cheek with my “trolling” accusation. But it did take me aback when I saw the font.
Koopacabras Apr 18, 2019
Quoting: wvstolzingbut one soap-opera of a story and the events of the French Revolution pretty much squandered as a vague backdrop [although a pretty interesting take on the proto-fascism of Robespierre & Co.]) but the realization of the city is nothing short of amazing. I used to boot windows just to climb up and down buildings in this game.

interesting actually never played any AC game but I consider the Silent Hunter series an honest and historical interpretation on world war II, are you saying the historical events on AC are completely deranged or just maybe over the top, but honest?
wvstolzing Apr 18, 2019
Quoting: chancho_zombieinteresting actually never played any AC game but I consider the Silent Hunter series an honest and historical interpretation on world war II, are you saying the historical events on AC are completely delusional or just maybe over the top, but honest?

As far as calendar events (the day of the Pazzi murders, the beheading of Louis XVI, & many more) are concerned, those are represented pretty accurately; and the famous personalities involved in them are portrayed in a way that's in line with the romanticized celebrity images those people usually have in the public consciousness.

As to the behind-the-scenes of those events, though -- *why*, according to the game, things happen the way they do -- oh boy... it's an off-the-wall historical conspiracy, based on a mixture of popular tropes such as 'hidden history'/Atlantis & secret societies & the human race as a genetic experiment by an ancient civilization, and so on.

The (mini) controversy with respect to Unity was that its portrayal of Robespierre & Co. (the 'Montagnard' faction of what remained of the original Jacobin party) was too unfair, and that this 'progressive' albeit bloody faction deserved better. At the time I played the game, I really didn't know any better; but then I decided to read up on the subject. One major study that I've read since then (Jonathan Israel's 'Revolutionary Ideas dispelled all doubts in my mind as to whether the Montagnards were anything more than a group of proto-fascists that helped plunge the revolution into complete madness by 1794. Pretty much none of the progressive agendas of the revolution (including the abolition of slavery) were due to that faction; but they've received credit all the same.

I now wish that the game had applied its trademark 'Forrest Gumpification' to the landmark events of the revolution, to portray our here (the good guy Assassin) as the collaborator of the true progressives at every significant turn. In Assassin's Creed 3, the player character wins all the major battles of the American revolutionary war, pretty much single handedly -- it's borderline caricature-silly, but it fits with the silliness of the entire 'hidden history' angle of the series.
Koopacabras Apr 18, 2019
Quoting: wvstolzing
Quoting: chancho_zombieinteresting actually never played any AC game but I consider the Silent Hunter series an honest and historical interpretation on world war II, are you saying the historical events on AC are completely delusional or just maybe over the top, but honest?

As far as calendar events (the day of the Pazzi murders, the beheading of Louis XVI, & many more) are concerned, those are represented pretty accurately; and the famous personalities involved in them are portrayed in a way that's in line with the romanticized celebrity images those people usually have in the public consciousness.

As to the behind-the-scenes of those events, though -- *why*, according to the game, things happen the way they do -- oh boy... it's an off-the-wall historical conspiracy, based on a mixture of popular tropes such as 'hidden history'/Atlantis & secret societies & the human race as a genetic experiment by an ancient civilization, and so on.

The (mini) controversy with respect to Unity was that its portrayal of Robespierre & Co. (the 'Montagnard' faction of what remained of the original Jacobin party) was too unfair, and that this 'progressive' albeit bloody faction deserved better. At the time I played the game, I really didn't know any better; but then I decided to read up on the subject. One major study that I've read since then (Jonathan Israel's 'Revolutionary Ideas dispelled all doubts in my mind as to whether the Montagnards were anything more than a group of proto-fascists that helped plunge the revolution into complete madness by 1794. Pretty much none of the progressive agendas of the revolution (including the abolition of slavery) were due to that faction; but they've received credit all the same.

I now wish that the game had applied its trademark 'Forrest Gumpification' to the landmark events of the revolution, to portray our here (the good guy Assassin) as the collaborator of the true progressives at every significant turn. In Assassin's Creed 3, the player character wins all the major battles of the American revolutionary war, pretty much single handedly -- it's borderline caricature-silly, but it fits with the silliness of the entire 'hidden history' angle of the series.

thanks very insightful comment, I just started the game (seems to work ok though the overlay must be disabled) so the message at the intro that the game is inspired on true events might be not completely true is more inspired on the conspiracist side of history . Seems the game that Alex Jones and David Icke would love.:P
Dunc Apr 18, 2019
Quoting: wvstolzingAs to the behind-the-scenes of those events, though -- *why*, according to the game, things happen the way they do -- oh boy... it's an off-the-wall historical conspiracy, based on a mixture of popular tropes such as 'hidden history'/Atlantis & secret societies & the human race as a genetic experiment by an ancient civilization, and so on.
Let's be honest: anyone who expected anything else from an Assassin's Creed game... probably hasn't played an Assassin's Creed game before. That nonsense is what they do. I mean, when you have classical deities taking over the computer systems of fictional Montreal games developers (Black Flag, I think?), you're not exactly dealing with a work of academic rigour.

What's surprising is how much accuracy is left after all that rubbish. They really go out of their way to make it as “believeable” as possible.
wvstolzing Apr 18, 2019
Quoting: DuncLet's be honest: anyone who expected anything else from an Assassin's Creed game... probably hasn't played an Assassin's Creed game before. That nonsense is what they do.

That's what I'm saying too.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.