Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Recommendations please for my eight year old?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
JSVRamirez Apr 27, 2019
I'm looking for a game (probably an RPG?) for my daughter. She's almost eight, bad language isn't a problem, but no thanks to gore...

She's specifically asked for something she can create her own character, both in terms of their physical appearance, but also the character sheet kind-of-thing.

All I could think of were rather graphically violent (VtM: Bloodlines, etc...) and I'm drawing nothing for something age appropriate. All help appreciated.
Liam Dawe Apr 27, 2019
Some ideas:

- Starbound
- Spoxel
- Terraria
- Quest Hunter
- The Swords of Ditto
- Project: Gorgon
- Heroes of Hammerwatch
- Stardew Valley

Practically all RPGs have some form of minor gore really.
riusma Apr 27, 2019
Hmmmm... maybe "Neverwinter Nights: EE", I don't remember exactly as I've only played the original game long time ago when I was on Windows but it's an RPG with character creation (physical appearance and character sheet) and I think that you have to enable "gore" effects (and from what I remember the story is not too mature in its thematic). :S:
jens Apr 27, 2019
  • Supporter
I could recommend this one:
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/steam-play-is-great-for-a-younger-audience-with-games-like-lego-jurassic-world.13233

Edit: Sorry, missed the RPG part, that doesn't really fit with L-JW.
Salvatos Apr 27, 2019
If an MMO is acceptable (you said bad language isn't a problem but I don't know about potential bad attitudes), Dofus and Wakfu are pretty kid-friendly in their style and content. They have an absurd amount of classes you can pick from, many of which alter your appearance.
naegling23 Apr 27, 2019
I have three kids (5,7,9).

Its going to depend part on how well they are able to play, and how well they can read at that age. I've had more success with co-op games since I can help them out to get through puzzles and difficult areas...

-Hammerwatch - it has adjustable difficulty sliders (up to infinate lives), plus co-op. I never tried heroes of hammerwatch since it isnt local co-op.
-stardew valley is great because you cant really do anything wrong
-we've also had a lot of fun with rocket league since they could just drive cars around in a circle until they figured out what was going on.
-we've played some victor vran (a little on the dark side, and no real character customization)
-minecraft - I dont play, but my 9 year old loves it.
-I havnt played overcooked or forager, but my kids are asking about those so they might be in our future during the next steam sale.

If you made me pick one, I would say stardew valley, tons to do, multiple ways to play, cute, and there is some customization....
Arehandoro Apr 29, 2019
If you, or her, don't mind playing older games I would go for the classics Baldur's Gate. Icewind Dale, etc. I guess certain gore aspects won't be removed completely but the graphics might minimise the effect to a some degree.

Perhaps, in the same line, look at Pillars of Eternity series. If I recall correctly there was some option to disable blood and gore (though not 100% on this)
Salvatos Apr 29, 2019
I can confirm that you can turn "gibs" off in PoE. I wouldn't recommend the older titles for a seven-year-old, though. AD&D was one hell of a complicated system and even though I'm familiar with it, there were a number of encounters where I had to look up an enemy's vulnerabilities, and a number of ways I messed up my character builds because the stats weren't clear. I loved Icewind Dale, but I would wait a few years if I were her! PoE would be easier to get into, if only because everything is properly explained.
JSVRamirez Apr 30, 2019
Thanks everyone. I think We'll plump for Stardew Valley first and possibly Pillars of Eternity.

Much appreciated.
damarrin Apr 30, 2019
Pillars of Eternity for an 8yo? I don't see this working out.
JSVRamirez Apr 30, 2019
Quoting: damarrinPillars of Eternity for an 8yo? I don't see this working out.

Even with blood turned off??
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.