Recommendations please for my eight year old?
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
damarrin Apr 30, 2019
I'm not talking about violence. I don't know your 8yo, but the ones I know would lose interest very quickly with the reams of text and long-winded conversations about empires and trading.
Liam Dawe Apr 30, 2019
Yeah Pillars is really not a game for an 8 year old, far too in-depth they will have no clue what's going on at any point.
naegling23 May 6, 2019
a lot of RPG games are too complicated for a young kid as well as having too many adult themes throughout (I had to drop pillars of eternity to story mode, and I'm not fully sure what was going on in the story). The only ones I would recommend are ones you can co-op through, or maybe something simple like pokemon would work since its rock, paper, scissors combat, but my 9 year old still gets stuck. Stardew valley is an excellent choice there are enough role playing elements but without anything being overly complicated.
Schattenspiegel May 6, 2019
Divinity Original Sin 1 - you will have to judge the (comic) violence level, but it is not overly difficult on the lower difficulty levels, looks nice and offers co-op so you could play together if you want to help her out.

For the King! - also worth a look - also offers co-op
Rooster May 6, 2019
Undertale, if she doesn't mind pixel graphics.
Skully May 7, 2019
I would suggest Costume quest 1 and 2. My Daughter loves it.
AciD May 7, 2019
Those are not only rpgs, but games that an 8yo should be able to play (and enjoy!) ;

ballisticng
battleblock theater
bridge constructor portal
broforce
the bug butcher
caster crashers
dirt showndown
edge
mini metro
mushroom 11
osmos
picross touch
puddle
the swords of ditto
terraria
tricky towers
urban trial freestyle
world of goo
zombie night terror
luxor amun rising hd
par-man championship edition dx+
stuntmania reloaded
the warlock of the firetop mountain
circa infinity
grey cubes
shatter
crash drive 2
infinifactory
lovers in dangerous spacetime
olliolli2: welcome to olliwood
polybridge
super splatters
hidden in plain sight
mega coin squad
grow home
expand
hyperrogue
fotonica
whizse May 7, 2019
Torchlight 1 and 2 possibly. Recommended rating seems to be from age 12 but the violence is very cartoonish.
Supay Jun 16, 2019
I know this is going to seem an odd choice considering the hats and lamps, but Rimworld is excellent. Just tweak the settings and use dev mode to make it less violent, choose the relaxed storyteller and grab any appropriate mods to remove/tone down content as needed. My friend's kid has played it for years, since around 6, and he loves just building up the base and growing his muffalo herds. You can mod in dinosaurs and all kinds of stuff as well.

Also, Kerbal Space Programme. I know it's not an RPG, but my kids have been playing it with me since they were 3, and having your 5 year old casually repeat back basic orbital mechanics and other astronomy and engineering concepts is amazing. All learned while clicking together misshapen rockets and squealing in excitement as they blow up in various ways.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.