Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Free Games
tuxdelux commented on 21 May 2019 at 11:07 pm UTC

On Steam, there are a lot of opportunities to pick up no-cost game, even those with support for gnu+linux desktops. I think it would be great to see some of this information on the GoL news scroll. I follow the steam user Bainful, who posts at least once a week, about another opportunity to get a no-cost game. These are generally hard to find, and they are not heavily promoted by Steam. Might be a good opportunity to attract attention to the website, by reposting them here.

Hori commented on 2 July 2019 at 2:11 pm UTC

Yeah, something similar to /r/FreeGamesOnSteam/ but only with the decent ones. (Most of the giveaways there are pretty toxic and they give useless games, or worse, and are more interested in stealing your data and/or making you join groups/pages, than actually giving you something)

Games that are given for free through Steam would be the most important ones to show, followed by ones given by Humble Bundle and GOG. And other reliable and decent giveaways like those (idk if there are any other ones)

It could either be automated, by a service that would regularly check for such giveaways, with adapters for Steam, GOG, Humble, etc.
Or it could be community driven and anyone could report such a giveaway when they find one, in which case it could be reviewed and added to the list (or added automatically if X number of people report the same thing). And of course, users could also mark it as Over, and once enough people did this, the entry would be "officially" marked as Over for everyone.

It's not the easiest thing to implement, but it's not unfeasible either. And I think it would be very much worth it, and very much appreciated.

If going for the first (automated) approach, I might be able to take some time to implement such a thing. However, my language of choice is C# and I don't think there will be too many people willing / able to maintain the code afterwards, since this is a Linux community and C# is Microsoft.

Liam Dawe commented on 2 July 2019 at 2:20 pm UTC

tuxdeluxOn Steam, there are a lot of opportunities to pick up no-cost game, even those with support for gnu+linux desktops. I think it would be great to see some of this information on the GoL news scroll. I follow the steam user Bainful, who posts at least once a week, about another opportunity to get a no-cost game. These are generally hard to find, and they are not heavily promoted by Steam. Might be a good opportunity to attract attention to the website, by reposting them here.
Can you give some examples of Linux games included in this we've recently missed?

PrivacyParanoid commented on 12 July 2019 at 8:58 am UTC

Mmm, it could be implemented by sourcing the games from the rss feeds of such subreddits and by a semi-automated selection/voting system that filters out the trash found on these such as the privacy invasive giveways. It wouldn't be that difficult to implement, if enough people are interested i might throw a MVP together...

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Build Up: „Hive Time“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts