Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Iron Maiden sues 3D Realms over Ion Maiden
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
wvstolzing May 31, 2019
QuoteIron Maiden are suing video game company 3D Realms over the game Ion Maiden, which they describe as an “incredibly blatant” infringement on their trademark.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/may/30/iron-maiden-sue-video-game-developers-for-2m-over-ion-maiden-game
sub May 31, 2019
LOLWUT?
Shmerl May 31, 2019
Jerks. I hope courts will bust this lawsuit.
Liam Dawe May 31, 2019
I hate to say it but it was bound to happen. The amount of times I've accidentally called it Iron Maiden I've lost count...

That said, some of this is pathetic like: "It also argues the game is similar to Iron Maiden’s own game Legacy of the Beast" -> they're fuck-all alike. Whoever argued that point in the lawsuit, has obviously never played either or even compared a single shot of the games side by side.
Guppy May 31, 2019
It's a perfectly understandable thing for them to do - I mean the two are pronounced basically the same.

Imagine somebody made a camera app named eyePhone, you bet apple will have a thing or two to say about that..
Shmerl May 31, 2019
I'd say, Iron Maiden can't even claim a trademark on their own name. Because it's a generic term which precedes them by ages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_maiden

So who cares if it sounds similar - it's not theirs to control to begin with. Trademarking such stuff is ridiculous.
sr_ls_boy Jun 1, 2019
This probably has less to do with the band and more to do with Sanctuary Mgt.
Rod Smallwood is probably doing this. But even if that is true the band
themselves would never say so. Historically, what ever Rod says goes.
My questions is why this game and not a tribute band that goes by the name
"Iron Maidens"?
Guppy Jun 1, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlI'd say, Iron Maiden can't even claim a trademark on their own name. Because it's a generic term which precedes them by ages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_maiden

So who cares if it sounds similar - it's not theirs to control to begin with. Trademarking such stuff is ridiculous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Corp._v._Lindows.com,_Inc.

just saying...

Afaik the only known case where a trademark was denied / rewoked on the ground that is was just too common was intel being told to stop trademarking numbers ( 8086,286,386,486 ) which is why the 586 chip was named pentium. Though the explantion of the pentium math bug resulting in 486+100 crashing the chip is a funnier explanation
Guppy Jun 1, 2019
Quoting: sr_ls_boyThis probably has less to do with the band and more to do with Sanctuary Mgt.
Rod Smallwood is probably doing this. But even if that is true the band
themselves would never say so. Historically, what ever Rod says goes.
My questions is why this game and not a tribute band that goes by the name
"Iron Maidens"?

I'd immagine that they got permission from the band and reached some sort of agreement like always spelling the name of the cover band with the female symbol in place of the o in iron.

Typically these cases are about avoiding diluting the brand and/or causing confusion about affiliation ( effectively leeching of a more popular brand to peddle your wares )
wvstolzing Jun 1, 2019
So if anyone had plans to release personal finance management software under the title "MEGADEBT", they'll have to reconsider.

Joking aside, as many have noted they seem to have an very flimsy case for 'trademark infringement'. I do wonder though, if the makers of the 'Powerslave' FPS back in 1996 got into any trouble with Iron Maiden. Funnily enough that was a build engine game as well.
wvstolzing Jun 1, 2019
Quoting: ThreeEightySixI guess if their customers are so colossally stupid that they would accidentally create a Steam account and log in looking to buy a CD or tape from decades past and inadvertently bought a copy of Ion Maiden for a computer

... or 'EA Sports Madden 2018' for that matter.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.