Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Should I wait or not ?
TobyGornow Jun 22, 2019
Guys , I'm in a spot here. Found this sweet deal of a computer, for 299 € you have a B450 motherboard + a Ryzen 2600 + 16 Gb RAM @ 3000 Mhz. Should I go for it since I already have everything else ( Case, PSU ...) ? Or Should I wait for Ryzen 3XXX ?

I don't know cause I wasn't planning for a change yet, more around Christmas, since my OCed 3570k is aging but still serving me well. But at this price I feel that it's a steal and still be a huge upgrade compared to my current build.

I've always bought the latest parts, price don't really matter since I'm changing my computer every 6~7 years, so buying a R5 2600 feels like buying old stuff that won't support PCIE 4.0 when Navi come out.

Man, I really don't know what to do, the reason tells me to get this sweet deal, my heart tells me to wait and see what Ryzen 3XXX has under the hood.

What do you think ?
tuubi Jun 22, 2019
If price doesn't matter, why would you care about getting a nice deal?

Sorry, joking. Personally I'm in the same boat. I always try to buy hardware that'll last me a good few years. Now I've pretty much decided on a 3700X to replace my ancient i7 2600K later this year, and would not be interested in that particular deal. I'll probably be spending close to double that amount for the CPU, a decent MB and some fast DDR4, but I should be able to squeeze quite a bit of mileage out of them.
Xpander Jun 22, 2019
PCIE4.0 will be pointless for few years anyway, unless you need some nvme+raid speeds. GPUs don't even utilize PCIE3.0 to its maximum these days. Those midrange Navi GPUs do not need PCIE4.0 speeds either.
Its a really good deal, but like you said, if the price doesn't matter for you, then its a bit weird question imo. If you are happy with your current one, then wait for the Ryzen 3000 and buy it when its available, if price doesn't matter for you. Other than that the 299€ for this combo is quite a good deal, depends how good the motherboard VRMs are for say 12 core ryzen 3 upgrade later down the road if you'd want that.
TobyGornow Jun 22, 2019
Thanks Guys

I know, It's a weird question hence the hesitation. About the money, I've got the 300 quids now for this deal, if I wait I could save more for a later buy. Aaaaand, got a bike to buy sooo... Again hesitation.

About PCIE 4.0, it's maybe not relevant today but later it will perhaps offer an upgrade path when the build gets older.
gurv Jun 22, 2019
Honestly this price is good but not that special:
- you can find a decent B450 MB for ~90€ (ASRock B450 Pro 4)
- 16GB DDR4 would set you back ~70€ (GSkill 2666CL19)
- Ryzen 2600 is ~160€ but I've seen sales as low as ~130€ and the price will most likely drop when Ryzen 3000 will be available
So you can currently get these components for ~320€ without any sale.

I think it's well worth waiting for Ryzen 3000 especially as DDR4 prices are getting lower.
charlezG Jun 23, 2019
With that price it's really good deal but the performance is not wise for the upcoming games, you can get that but I would wait for the Ryzen 3XXX, I got some friends who has Ryzen 2600 and sometimes their machine is a bit laggy, SSD and RAM did a price drop on the market so it will not be problem anymore for that budget.
TobyGornow Jun 23, 2019
Thanks for your inputs, I think I'll wait and see what Ryzen 3000 has to offer in 2 weeks.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.