WD Green drives aren't so bad!
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
BlackBloodRum Jun 29, 2019
Hey guys. Thought I'd share some HDD smart stats on two WD Green drives I have. The reason being often people simply dismiss this drive range as being unreliable and prone to failure.

I'm not a particular brand fanboy, for example my current primary HDD is Toshiba, was WD Blue (Started throwing errors), prior to that Seagate (also errors).

But the two old WD Green WD10EACS... still going strong even though their used as torrent drives! I'm actually very impressed considering so many people will tell you they die.

Very impressed with these drives!
g000h Jun 29, 2019
Interesting. I suppose I should manually examine smart stats across my various drives.

I've a few comments to make about mechanical hard drives and avoiding things which would be detrimental:

Despite smart stats a drive can break at any time, so it is always worth holding your important data on more than one device. (As a Linux user, I like to use rsync to synchronise the data files stored across two separate drives. This is a very rapid way of maintaining a backup of a file-system, when you just shift the daily changes between the current and the sync'ed drive.)

Mechanical drives are subject to damage if they are moved / hit / banged around while running. I have lost data on two mechanical drives from knocking them over while they were running (and these knocks weren't especially harsh ones, quite gentle in fact).

Solid State Drives aren't affected by (minor) knocks and hits, but you could run into issues with them if you keep running them close to full of data. Let's say you have a SSD which is 500GB and it only has 1GB of free space: All the subsequent file writes and rewrites will concentrate on that 1 GB portion of the drive, degrading it much quicker because they aren't able to do their smart wear-levelling with such a small amount of free space.

It is good to avoid running mechanical hard drives at high temperature. They are more prone to degrading if running hot. A case with adequate cooling fans is one solution to this. I've had mechanical drives break from running too hot.
Dragunov Aug 8, 2019
I just bought a Western Digital Green SATA M.2 SSD 240GB. This is only my second WD Drive. I've been a hardcore Seagate fan my whole life because I've had excellent luck with them.

My first WD was a 40GB HDD that came with a Dell that failed, but only after 7 years of hard use. I haven't had a Seagate fail yet, knock on wood. I couldn't find a Seagate M.2 for less than $70 or I would have bought one.

We will see how the new drive does. I also chose this one because it has SLC NAND Flash which is supposedly the most reliable form of flash memory. Reliability is more important to me than speed.
iwantlinuxgames Aug 13, 2019
I was a pretty hardcore WD user for many many years.... I've only ever had 2 that failed on me....one a week after purchase so i was able to RMA it without issue....the other was after a few years...still within the warranty period but a would be a pain to warranty if i wanted to go that route(contact WD, show proof of purchase, long since discarded, pay shipping etc). Lately however, with solid state craze goin on, and mfrs warrant periods are pretty much 3 yrs, i'll purchase whatever brand offers the most storage space and the highest read/write speeds....although right now, I'm kinda holding back right now on m.2 nvme purchases as it seems like almost every other week someone releases a new model with even faster read/write rates.
Skully Aug 14, 2019
Here is a post I made a few years ago on this site that might interest those of you with green WD drives https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/western-digital-green-hdd-how-to-stop-them-dying-on-you.4814
Koopacabras Oct 6, 2019
I have a wd10ears and has never ever failed on me. It has like 10 years or more. :O
14 Oct 9, 2019
What are you using to look at the SMART stats?

Also, BorgBackup for the win.
wvstolzing Oct 9, 2019
Quoting: 14What are you using to look at the SMART stats?

You mean the tables in OP's post, or in general? I think the standard tool is 'smartmontools' that comes in the base repos of all distros. There's quite a bit of info here: https://www.smartmontools.org/
BlackBloodRum Feb 12, 2020
Quoting: 14What are you using to look at the SMART stats?

That was gnomes disk utility.

Those drives are still going btw.
catbox_fugue Feb 25, 2020
WD reds are great too aye?
ive always stayed away from Greens because of the headparking issues and its just slow.
preferring to pickup whatever Black was the fastest at the time.

but i opted to invest in 2tbReds the last time i bought any HDD.

PSA reminder to check your smart status occasionally..
and for $80-100 keep a physical HDD backup of your most valuable data...

ALSO, SSD have a cell voltage life of ~1year to 18months.
meaning... offline storage for over that length results in cell degradation and data loss
just power on the SSD once a year to keep voltage charged up!
Koopacabras Feb 25, 2020
another tip is using this type of drives with bcache, I have a small 120gb SSD kingston drive that's used as cache drive, and 90% of the time bache is reading/writing to the sdd cache so I suppose that will increase the lifespan a bunch.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.