Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
WD Green drives aren't so bad!
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
damarrin Feb 25, 2020
I have a WD Green that came in an external case and developed some bad sectors, so I replaced it with another one and use this one as a random drive for various computers to test OSs and stuff. No more bad sectors since some years ago and it works fine, but is very slow.

I have a bunch of WD Reds that have been going on forever in a server and I’m more than happy with them, just the kind of storage you want in a 24/7 solution.

I’m not fond of Seagate drives because all the ones I’ve had were very noisy. No complaints about reliability though.
Koopacabras Mar 9, 2020
awww my wd10ears started to fail on me
everything looks pretty normal except Multi_Zone_Error_Rate but I guess it was corrected because it went from 197 to 200 again.
💪🏼

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   196   181   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       70033
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   124   105   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       6775
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   096   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       4595
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   040   040   000    Old_age   Always       -       44405
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
 11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   096   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       4416
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   198   198   000    Old_age   Always       -       1862
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       786185
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   105   090   000    Old_age   Always       -       42
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   198   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   197   000    Old_age   Offline      -       4

I don't get the the value "Temperature_Celsius" 105 I suppose the correct value is the RAW_VALUE which is 42.

@BlackBloodRum looking again at your values you have very low Power_Cycle_Count are those disks used in servers??

Last edited by Koopacabras on 9 March 2020 at 5:50 am UTC
BlackBloodRum Jan 1, 2021
Not servers, just a computer that's powered on 24/7.

Sadly, the time has come to retire those drives

Just performed a full shred with 6 passes on the oldest of the two and it's now powered off never to be in this computer again

It feels like a child is moving out

The other drive is still shredding.. albeit much slower than the one above, which is strange.

(I needed more storage.. these are old SATA 2.5 1TB drives)
woox2k Jan 3, 2021
WD Greens never were physically worse than any other drive brand. Only issue they had was that head parking interval someone decided to lower to ridiculous levels what wore out head assembly too fast.

I have had number of Greens on my machine over the years and only one of them failed. It was first model with that head parking issue and back then i had no idea it should be changed to keep drive alive for longer. It died with 300k head load/unload cycle count with only about 4-5k working hours. After that i have always changed the parking interval and the drives seem to hold up just fine. Right now i have 3 2TB Green drives in my machine with 37-40k working hours and they are still going strong.

One of those 3 drives has 250k load/unload cycles while others have about 50k. That first one was bought exactly the same time as the failed one and i changed the parking interval right after the first one died. Needless to say it seems to have worked to keep drive alive but that cycle count is starting to creep to dangerous levels now.

Last edited by woox2k on 3 January 2021 at 10:36 am UTC
Xpander Jan 3, 2021
yeah exactly the head parking interval thing..
one of my WD greens died because of that also. I didn't know about that thing at the time.
it failed at 290K load/unload cycles
BlackBloodRum Sep 17, 2021
Soo.. I replaced those drives with a couple of 8TB Seagate Ironwolfs.. figured since they're powered on 24/7 the Ironwolf (and drives of that class) are the best bet for being powered on 24/7 right?

Wrong.

Now having fun discussing the drive with Seagate whom insist I put it in a windows computer to see if it "really has problems" since they "don't support linux" - I don't even have a windows computer..

So this warranty service is fun.... looks like I will have to find some way of obtaining a windows license key for free or some kind of trial or something on a test computer. I'm not paying for windows just to test a drive.. I haven't used windows in many years (I explained this to them).. so it's baby steps for me with it.

Although they did kindly ask if I had a backup (I do, on a seperate drive, which I've since also already restored to a replacement WD Red Pro I purchased the day that drive started throwing errors...)

/end rant

Sorry!

Last edited by BlackBloodRum on 17 September 2021 at 6:47 am UTC
omicron-b Sep 17, 2021
Quoting: BlackBloodRumobtaining a windows license key
You don't need a license to install Windows 10 and make some screenshots.
That said, it's ridiculous they need a screenshot to prove a drive is bad. People can just download and edit those.
BlackBloodRum Sep 17, 2021
Quoting: omicron-b
That said, it's ridiculous they need a screenshot to prove a drive is bad. People can just download and edit those.

Oh? I thought Microsoft always requires windows to be licensed? Isn't that part of their whole ToS and such?

All my systems are custom build, so I don't have a working key sitting in the BIOS unfortunately.
omicron-b Sep 17, 2021
Quoting: BlackBloodRum
Quoting: omicron-b

Oh? I thought Microsoft always requires windows to be licensed? Isn't that part of their whole ToS and such?

All my systems are custom build, so I don't have a working key sitting in the BIOS unfortunately.

Maybe they do, the system would just work though, and remind you to activate it from time to time. Also, you won't be able to customize any looks.
This just confirms that they're after your data now, not just your money.
Koopacabras Sep 17, 2021
My WD green didn't die but I decided to retire it, now I bought another one exactly the same just newer model. Guess what? it's was supposed to be brand new, but it had already like 10k power on hours, the seller scammed me (it was a hardware shop) and he insisted that the hdd was brand new. SCAMMER

Last edited by Koopacabras on 17 September 2021 at 9:33 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.