Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Automatic dark theme implemented
Liam Dawe Jul 14, 2019
For those whose system/browser supports "prefers-color-scheme" -> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/@media/prefers-color-scheme

GOL will now automatically give you a dark theme if needed, as in if you've turned on dark mode and your system correctly reports it as such. It's great, since this means users not even logged in can get the dark theme too automatically :)

Let me know of any weirdness if you're forcing the dark theme from your GOL user settings, as the CSS files were all changed but in my own testing it all works fine.

Want to force test it? Firefox can enable dark mode for websites:
- go to about:config
- add ui.systemUsesDarkTheme integer 1
- enjoy dark mode on websites (like GOL!) that support it
Shmerl Jul 14, 2019
Thanks for this!

Somehow it worked without adding ui.systemUsesDarkTheme key for me (in my Firefox it's simply missing). My gtk theme is using dark colors with breeze-gtk though, so may be it sets the same thing implicitly.
Cyril Jul 15, 2019
Same as Shmerl, it works without editing anything.
ben914 Jul 16, 2019
I was surprised by the dark theme when I came to visit the site today. I like it. I prefer dark themes wherever I can get them.
Liam Dawe Jul 16, 2019
Glad to know you're enjoying it.

A small oversight: You can't force the light theme if you wanted to. That is currently be drafted up: https://gitlab.com/liamdawe/gamingonlinux/issues/361
Liam Dawe Jul 16, 2019
I'm thinking to add a small adjustment to the dark CSS, to give images a really small amount of opacity. That way, images won't be so blinding, especially when we can only get logos and such with a white background and so on. Need to do some tests, but it's real simple to add in.
Liam Dawe Jul 18, 2019
I'm not going to be adding any time-based stuff no, that's up to the user to sort out on their own PC.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.