Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
AMD Xbox Game Pass Promotion
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Dragunov Jul 17, 2019
I guess AMD is offering 3 months of Xbox Game Pass to anyone that buys a new Ryzen 3000 CPU or RX5700 GPU.
Problem is...what on earth am I gonna do with it XD. I don't think they really gave consideration to Linux users.
I tried to give the Game Pass away, but apparently it does a system check to make sure you have the AMD CPU or GPU installed in your PC.

I can't really complain because it was a free gift, but still...would have been nice to get a promotion that I can actually use. The Game Pass will only work on Winblows 10, so firing up my old Win 7 PC is out of the question.

Anyone else pick up a Ryzen 3k cpu yet?

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive in the mail.
Dragunov Jul 19, 2019
I went with the budget Ryzen 5 3600. I don't really need the extra power to warrant twice the price. I only use microATX boards so none of these new x570 chipset boards would fit in my cases. It won't hurt anything to try booting it, you will just get a black screen if it doesn't work. Mine just arrived today and wouldn't boot without the bios update.

I went with the MSI B450M PRO-M2 V2 motherboard. It was only $65.

I tried calling my local PC stores to try to buy a cheap AM4 cpu to flash the bios, but every store is completely out of AM4 cpu's altogether! I guess everyone else had the same idea I did :D I couldn't even find any cheap used am4 cpus.

I ended up ordering a ryzen 3 1200 for $60 and I'll have to wait a couple more days.

I'm not even gonna bother with the Xbox Pass. Why couldn't they just give a free game like they usually do?
Shmerl Jul 19, 2019
Still waiting for 3900X to appear in stores. Seems like AMD have production problems, because it's sold out everywhere.

I don't care about Xbox promos personally, and would also prefer the CPU to come without default cooler for a slightly lower price, since I'm using a Noctua one anyway, but AMD don't provide such options.

If anyone is running 3900X though, what are your temperatures? I've seen many reports it runs very hot even when idle.
Shmerl Jul 22, 2019
You can try applying these patches manually, until it hits the upstream kernel:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11043271/
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11043277/

Or these (looks like there are two sets for the same thing):

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11049409/
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11049411/

More details here: https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-hwmon/list/
Dragunov Jul 24, 2019
This has turned into an absolute nightmare for me. I was really excited to use my new Ryzen 5 3600.

I had to buy a Ryzen 3 1200 so that I could flash the new MSI beta bios. Problem is, this beta bios that supposedly has Ryzen 3k support doesn't work at all on my motherboard.

I really regret buying this new CPU and motherboard.

If anyone else is planning on buying one just save yourself the headache and get a board with an x570 chipset or don't buy one at all.

I guess i'll cross my fingers that they release a stable working bios soon, but i'm not gonna hold my breath. I think I might have just threw $400 down the drain.

So basically, I have the latest bios and it still won't boot...

Good to see you got yours working at least.
Shmerl Jul 24, 2019
Quoting: DragunovI had to buy a Ryzen 3 1200 so that I could flash the new MSI beta bios. Problem is, this beta bios that supposedly has Ryzen 3k support doesn't work at all on my motherboard.

I think AMD provide a free temporary CPU for that purpose: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Though looks like it won't help in your case anyway. I usually use Asrock motherboards and they tend to have good support. Never used MSI.

So may be sell your Ryzen 3 1200 and MSI MB, and get something like Asrock X570 Taichi?
Dragunov Jul 25, 2019
I actually wouldn't mind the new ASRock X570M PRO4 Micro-ATX motherboard, but its going for $185 and it's out of stock most places. I was trying to go for a cheap basic motherboard because I don't really need the extra bells and whistles and don't really plan on overclocking. If I get a larger motherboard I will have to get a bigger case too.

I was hoping this would be just a quick budget upgrade so that I could re-use my Case, Power Supply, and Hard Drives, but it turned out to be a bit more complicated than I expected.
Shmerl Jul 25, 2019
With Ryzen 3000 CPUs often reported as running quite hot, probably some spacious case with 200mm fans would be best for it. But apparently such cases are more rare today than before. Everyone is making cases with 140mm fans only.
Dragunov Jul 25, 2019
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I decided to go with the 65W Ryzen 5 3600. I generally use a set of Two 120mm fans(1 intake, 1 Exhaust) along with the Stock Wraith Cooler.

My other system is an A10-7890K rated at 95W and it does just fine with this setup. I don't overclock or anything.

If I notice any alarming temperatures or hear fans ramping up I will definitely make some changes.

It will probably be awhile before I can get the new system up and running. I'll post any updates.

That 3900X sure is a beauty :)
Dragunov Jul 28, 2019
I finally got my Ryzen 3600 machine to Post and boot into the operating system. I guess you just have to keep powering the machine on and off again until the CPU Debug light shuts off and the beta bios decides to work. I got frustrated with it and let it sit a couple of days and then one day I decided to press the power button and it started right up. Sometimes it boots first try, and sometimes it takes a few attempts.

I have an Idle temperature of about 33C in the bios. Gotta say, when the machine is working, it runs Great!
I will give it a couple of months to see if they release a stable Bios before I go looking for a new board.

I'm hoping they release the B550 boards soon.
Shmerl Jul 28, 2019
Anyone with X570 motherboard - can you see chipset temperature and chipset fan RPM through sensors on Linux?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.