Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
An Open Letter to Liam Dawe on Censorship
Page: «3/5»
  Go to:
Poll results: Which of these two extremes would you find preferable?
Never Close Comments, *EVER*

28 vote(s)
93%
Remove Comments Feature Entirely

2 vote(s)
7%
damarrin Aug 29, 2019
What a stupid poll. I’m glad it has no bearing on anything and GoL and the Earth will continue as it has.

I believe this sort of article is warranted, someone might care the game includes something that might offend them and might not want to support the dev. Like I’d be happy if Liam told me some game included a beer called “All heterosexual white males should be killed with a shovel” as I wouldn’t buy it then. Just like I demand my money back every time I walk out of the cinema after I’ve found out the bad guy was a white middle-aged man.

And we have no god-given right to voice our opinions on anything anywhere, only where other people have given us the ability to do so. Liam correctly anticipated the comments on those articles to go downhill (now that’s an understatement) and locked them for his own reasons, even if those were just to save him the hassle of having to read them, as I’m sure he has better things to do with his life. It’s fully his prerogative and as far as I’m concerned he’s been completely successful as now there’s just people complaining they can’t comment instead of the thing that would have happened if they could.

Good job and thank you.
Cyril Aug 29, 2019
Quoting: rkfgDue to my disappointment I decided to lower my monthly GoL pledge on Patreon (I don't urge anyone else to do the same, of course).

Isn't it a bit extreme? :S:
rkfg Aug 29, 2019
Quoting: Cyril
Quoting: rkfgDue to my disappointment I decided to lower my monthly GoL pledge on Patreon (I don't urge anyone else to do the same, of course).

No, it's just my stance. GoL lost some of the value for me so I reevaluated it accordingly. Extreme would be leaving completely and slamming the door. But I'm disappointed, not pissed off. And it's not a final decision as I may as well raise it back. Just free market doing its thing.
Cyril Aug 29, 2019
Quoting: rkfg
Quoting: Cyril

No, it's just my stance. GoL lost some of the value for me so I reevaluated it accordingly. Extreme would be leaving completely and slamming the door. But I'm disappointed, not pissed off. And it's not a final decision as I may as well raise it back. Just free market doing its thing.

Ok, if you feel that way it's your right.
namiko Aug 29, 2019
Liam, Reddit's moderation system doesn't have to be copy-pasted exactly into GoL, you own the site and its codebase. It could be changed to specifics that you choose. Making Mods and the Admin(s?) immune to any up/downvoting at all is one change you could make, then everyone can still see what the people who run the site say.

Worried about servers being stuffed with downvoted rubbish threads over time? Make the most downvoted threads have a timed purge of 30 days, because who needs a huge thread with people saying "you're an idiot" to someone the community already decided it doesn't like?

Honestly trying to save you from either of the above poll options here, because if the community has chosen what to do with a comment, it isn't as arbitrary-seeming for a comment to be hidden away.

You'd probably want to write gaming articles that make you excited and spend time with your family, instead of worrying about moderating comments about the latest controversial gaming gossip (which you chose to write about) the rest of your day.

Secondly, I made a mistake with the "opinions on your own time" comment because you run the site. I also said a [RANT] disclaimer would have improved the situation. I don't want to shut you up. Turning the comments off on the second article gave you a captive audience, or perhaps you wanted to not deal with the drama of moderating that day (despite focusing more on the drama in the first place).

Quoting: rkfgIt's good when the games are in focus, not gender identities, sexual orientations, political leanings, race issues and so on. If anything of the above issues (and many other like that) appears it ultimately only brings discord to the community and radicalizes it, makes people pick sides because they are all different and have different beliefs and backgrounds. And saying some beliefs are right and others are wrong is like saying that some people are invalid/trash and others are valid/good. Which is not true most of the time.
rkfg said it best, so I borrowed it.

Courting controversy for attention is the same slippery slope Slashdot made (good moderation, bad article/topic choices). The more off-topic things became, "How is this tech news?" became a sitewide meme. The users were disillusioned by "What Trump/AOC/whoever said on Twitter will shock you!", instead of getting what they were coming for: tech news. Slashdot's flawed reasoning for the off-topic Tweets were that they were a part of Twitter: a website, so that makes it tech news. I used to read Slashdot, but left because of too many irrelevant articles, not because of its users and their behaviour.

As for gaming censorship in general: I despise the current pressure in the world to make art "safe". No matter how much additional material a creator is told to remove or add, nobody will be completely satisfied. The devs of Ion Fury are still making a huge donation to The Trevor Project and *still* no one is satisfied. What does it take for their sins to be forgiven?

Humour isn't: "I make fun because these people don't deserve my respect, or to even exist". We didn't used to think humour was like this, sometimes even if it was offensive to many people, why is it different now?

We can act completely differently in the real world in contrast to whatever bad examples a video game will give us, we're not children.

We still played Duke Nukem as teens precisely because it pissed our parents off, not because we were closeted chauvinist, arrogant pricks. Let's not forget our past and paint homages to those games, like Ion Fury, as homophobic because of a couple of jokes some people hated.
Liam Dawe Aug 29, 2019
I don't know how clearer I can be on this: A down-vote system of any kind is absolutely never coming here for the reasons I already gave. Simply giving editors a block against it solves nothing for how it ends up on users.

QuoteHonestly trying to save you from either of the above poll options here
With respect, neither of those options have ever been on the table. I don't need saving, I run the show ;) -> If people don't like it, they can leave (as some over time have) and start their own site (as some also have).

I respect the opinions shown here and there's some interesting points to think on. However, I think I'm personally done on this debate now :).
BTRE Aug 29, 2019
I have to add a disclaimer here that this is my own opinion and I'm not official staff in any way. I do not speak for Liam, obviously. I'm just a guy who contributes to GOL because I like this place.
Quoting: namikoYou'd probably want to write gaming articles that make you excited and spend time with your family, instead of worrying about moderating comments about the latest controversial gaming gossip (which you chose to write about) the rest of your day.

Secondly, I made a mistake with the "opinions on your own time" comment because you run the site. I also said a [RANT] disclaimer would have improved the situation. I don't want to shut you up. Turning the comments off on the second article gave you a captive audience, or perhaps you wanted to not deal with the drama of moderating that day (despite focusing more on the drama in the first place).
The article was tagged as an editorial.

Quoting: rkfgIt's good when the games are in focus, not gender identities, sexual orientations, political leanings, race issues and so on. If anything of the above issues (and many other like that) appears it ultimately only brings discord to the community and radicalizes it, makes people pick sides because they are all different and have different beliefs and backgrounds. And saying some beliefs are right and others are wrong is like saying that some people are invalid/trash and others are valid/good. Which is not true most of the time.

Whether you like it or not, everything is political. I sure as hell wouldn't contribute to GOL if I thought that you couldn't talk about industry-wide issues. Where do you draw the line? Is it okay to talk about the epic games store and its exclusivity if it were to start selling Linux games? What about the various other controversies regarding publishers or developers? I could name a dozen. I have enough faith that people have enough agency in their lives to see posts that are marked as opinions and make their own conclusions. When I write reviews, for example, I explain why I like a game or not and never present it as objective fact. The same goes for the few editorials and the like that I have written. I believe Liam does the same.

Quoting: namikoCourting controversy for attention is the same slippery slope Slashdot made (good moderation, bad article/topic choices).

This is about as disingenuous as your original premise of there only being one of two choices for the situation here. Liam writes things because he thinks they're relevant and not because of clicks or likes. If you haven't noticed, this website isn't run on ads or corporate interests.

Quoting: namikoAs for gaming censorship in general: I despise the current pressure in the world to make art "safe". No matter how much additional material a creator is told to remove or add, nobody will be completely satisfied. The devs of Ion Fury are still making a huge donation to The Trevor Project and *still* no one is satisfied. What does it take for their sins to be forgiven?

I don't believe anyone here has argued anything similar to what you're saying there.

You're all free to think what you want and do what you want with your time and money. I just think it's unreasonable to expect Liam or any others to cater solely to your interests. As evidenced by some of the other responses here, people do care to hear about this sort of stuff. And speaking as someone who has had to deal with toxic posts (name-calling, flaming and irrelevant tangents) it's entirely reasonable to lock comments after a while. The last Ion Fury article was not made in a vacuum - it followed a large and contentious discussion where it was just childish back and forth. I definitely think it's reasonable to preempt the same noise elsewhere. It's like when we get "Steam is DRM" and "Is not!" posts - after a certain point there's nothing of value to that.
tuubi Aug 30, 2019
Quoting: GuestLike rkfg, I come here for linux gaming related news though, not to have propaganda and political opinions shoved down my throat. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice... And I'm outta here.
What's the problem with opinions that differ from yours? Echo chambers only lead to more conflict down the road. Liam has made it pretty clear that within certain limits, all opinions are welcome as long as you behave.
Liam Dawe Aug 30, 2019
Quoting: GuestI am not fond of slashdot type moderation either. Far from promoting "quality" comments they simply favour dominant opinions. It actually goes in the direction of censorship. Plus you end up pushing off base banalities. The larger your public is, the worse are the promoted banalities.
Exactly why it will not happen here, to ensure people do actually get an equal voice in comments and forum posts.
namiko Aug 30, 2019
Quoting: Liam DaweIf people don't like it, they can leave [...] and start their own site
Ah, the YouTube defence. Classic strategy.

This is the most overused argument in these situations. If I had the time, tech savvy, hardware, money, and sanity available to do such a thing, why the hell would I make suggestions in the first place?

If you really want to know why I made these suggestions to you rather than starting my own website and implementing them myself, it's because I'm a fan of GamingOnLinux and I thought it might help you, your personal life, and the community. Pardon me for caring so much. Next time I'll try harder to care less.

Cestarian is right, though, it just made me more pissed off to not have an outlet for dissent (visible in the comments, not hidden here) so that you -- and other readers -- would know what other people think too, even if you didn't like what the commenters had to say. That's how you respect people's opinions, not by just claiming to and telling them to piss off if they don't like how things are run.

It would have been simpler for everyone to let the comments go on until they burn themselves out (unless they do something against the rules or law). Too much to ask for?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.