Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
  Go to:
No tux no bucks
Poll results: Is no tux no bucks harmful or helpful to Linux gaming?
Helpful

14 vote(s)
70%
Harmful

6 vote(s)
30%
Scoopta commented on 8 September 2019 at 4:31 pm UTC

Xpandergoing into steam discussion forums for <insert gamename> and then saying "no tux, no bucks" is not ideal imo. If i was a dev i would just lock this thread and thats it. imo even the "+1" posts are better
Liam DaweHowever, "no tux no bucks/bux" is a ridiculous saying I started hating a long time ago. It tells a developer nothing, unless they're intimately familiar with the Linux community and frankly it comes across quite rude. I'll give you an example: https://twitter.com/AntonHand/status/1155562112057368577
Samsai"No Tux, No Bux" is definitely not something you say to a developer. That would be ridiculous and makes you look entitled. I'm a big proponent for "No Tux, No Bux" and IMO it's purely a policy one applies to themselves and doesn't shove it in the face of devs. It's more helpful to politely ask if Linux plans exist and thank developers when they do ship for Linux.
I'm referring to the idea rather than those exact words. I would never dream of saying that to a devs face lol. It's just a convenient saying for expressing the idea of not buying a game for use in proton. I also edited the original as it seems quite a few people thought I was referring to those exact words.

Scoopta commented on 8 September 2019 at 4:51 pm UTC

DedaleAlso Linux native builds are not always that great of a solution. I already have one game that ceased to work because the OS doesn't ship the same libraries and the devs won't update it so i run the Windows version through proton. I wonder how many of my games will meet the same fate.
In all honesty my response to this is to usually download the old lib from an older distro repo and then put it in the game folder and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH although this is more annoying. That being said you still bought the game Linux native so it doesn't really apply. Currently I only use proton for games I bought before switching to Linux or games that are free/were acquired in bundles. I think proton is great at least for playing your game backlog but I'm on the fence about paying for a game specifically for use in proton.

Flabb commented on 9 September 2019 at 6:34 am UTC

Of course I consider the "No Tux - no bux" overall helpful for the development of Linux gaming. That's the policy that I always followed in the days before Proton, I follow it now and I'm not going to change my mind about it in foreseeable future.

However, as other people already said in this thread, I never say these exact words to the devs when we talk about possibility of Linux support. The "No Tux - no bux" for me is just a sound name for the policy that I follow when choosing a game to buy, and also a nice slogan to say in front of fellow Linux gamers, but never to the devs/pubs or their representatives. You have to be respectful and polite in negotiations like these.

Scoopta commented on 9 September 2019 at 6:50 am UTC

FlabbHowever, as other people already said in this thread, I never say these exact words to the devs when we talk about possibility of Linux support. The "No Tux - no bux" for me is just a sound name for the policy that I follow when choosing a game to buy, and also a nice slogan to say in front of fellow Linux gamers, but never to the devs/pubs or their representatives. You have to be respectful and polite in negotiations like these.
I'm only referring to the policy, I cleared that up in an edit as a lot of people seemed to have the impression I was referring to the statement.

Flabb commented on 9 September 2019 at 7:31 am UTC

ScooptaI'm only referring to the policy, I cleared that up in an edit as a lot of people seemed to have the impression I was referring to the statement.
I know, but I decided to make my view on the statement clear too, given that this topic was brought up in this thread too.

commodore256 commented on 9 September 2019 at 6:07 pm UTC

How about "No Free, (Libre) no Fee"?

If a FOSS game dev made a good standalone game for one of the Id Software engines or other libre engines and had all libre scripting, I'd buy a nice boxed collectors edition with replicated discs, a soundtrack, a poster and a premium strategy guide.

If you think my views are too unreasonable, that's probably what most game devs think of "no tux, no bux". Though in all seriousness, I'd rather have a "No free, no fee" movement.

GustyGhost commented on 10 September 2019 at 12:54 am UTC

My personal approach is "No code, nothing owed."

Rooster commented on 10 September 2019 at 6:58 am UTC

My approach:
If I can't play your game on Linux based OS, I won't buy the game.
If I can play your game on Linux based OS, but my purchase registers as a Windows sale, I most likely won't buy your game.
If I can play your game on Linux based OS and my purchase registers as such, I might buy your game.
If you made the effort to support Linux based OS specifically, it is more likely I will buy your game even if it isn't a must buy for me.

damarrin commented on 10 September 2019 at 7:51 am UTC

Yeah, I’ve bought games I had no interest in just because the dev supported Linux. I realise it makes no sense.

Arehandoro commented on 10 September 2019 at 8:45 am UTC

To me, it's neither. Personally, I don't follow that mantra. If a game works with Wine/Proton/Emulator and I fancy playing the game I end up buying it anyway. The fact that certain companies decide not releasing the game for our platform does not mean people that work in it have the same ideas that the company as a whole. Of course, I give more priority to native games but I do not limit myself more than necessary.

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts