Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Anyone tried Borderlands 3 on Wine/Proton?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Salvatos Sep 14, 2019
So I’m curious, I haven’t seen any reports of people buying Borderlands 3 on EGS and trying it through Wine or Proton. Not that I intend to buy it there anyhow, but it would be interesting to see how it runs in case we don’t get a port of this one.
ageres Sep 15, 2019
I can launch it, see 3D stuff in the main menu like in B2, tweak graphics settings, but when I start a new game or a performance test, it's nothing but black screen. The strange thing is that after I Alt+F4 it, I'm hearing game music for few seconds. I heard it's because of video files. The game apparently uses that stupid Microsoft way to run .mp4 files like in Resident Evil 2 remake and some other games.
ageres Sep 15, 2019
I managed to get it working.

1. Download https://github.com/z0z0z/mf-install and https://github.com/z0z0z/mf-installcab
2. Run install-mf.sh and install-mf-64.sh (the latter will download 1GB Windows update as well)
3. Copy mfplat.dll from mf-install/system32/ to Borderlands 3 game folder.

I had been playing for about 20 minutes, everything works fine so far. But I heard the game can corrupt save files, so it would probably be a good idea to wait for some patches for now.
Ehvis Sep 15, 2019
Quoting: ageresI had been playing for about 20 minutes, everything works fine so far. But I heard the game can corrupt save files, so it would probably be a good idea to wait for some patches for now.

While it is good to know that it works. I would never consider the Epic Store for any purchase, so waiting for patches not a problem at all. Also, it was rumoured to have some pretty invasive drm, so that would have to be removed as well. I'm actually still hoping that an official port might happen so we wouldn't have to deal with all that.
ageres Sep 15, 2019
Quoting: EhvisI would never consider the Epic Store for any purchase, so waiting for patches not a problem at all. Also, it was rumoured to have some pretty invasive drm, so that would have to be removed as well. I'm actually still hoping that an official port might happen so we wouldn't have to deal with all that.
True, but there are people who want to play now, without waiting for six months for a Steam release or whatever it would take for a native Linux port, if it happens at all. AFAIK, there is only Denuvo in B3 (at least it opens Denuvo website when I try to launch the game without Epic Games Launcher.)

Control is DRM-free in EGS, so if you prefer your games DRM-free, it would probably be even a better choiсe than the Steam version. It can be run without EGL, and that's what I do because that piece of shit consumes 20-25% of my CPU power by doing nothing, so I have much better performance with EGL turned off. Borderlands 3, on the other hand, is just Borderlands 2 with better textures, so it runs ok even with EGL.
sr_ls_boy Sep 15, 2019
Do the cut scenes play?
kokoko3k Sep 16, 2019
Quoting: ageresI managed to get it working.

1. Download https://github.com/z0z0z/mf-install and https://github.com/z0z0z/mf-installcab
2. Run install-mf.sh and install-mf-64.sh (the latter will download 1GB Windows update as well)
3. Copy mfplat.dll from mf-install/system32/ to Borderlands 3 game folder.

I had been playing for about 20 minutes, everything works fine so far. But I heard the game can corrupt save files, so it would probably be a good idea to wait for some patches for now.
Thanks!
How's the performances?
ageres Sep 16, 2019
About 60 fps at high settings. Slightly less on the highest, more on low.
Salvatos Nov 11, 2020
I was gifted the game recently so I’ve been trying to play it a few different ways and not getting great results. The first time I ran it, it took 10 minutes to build the shaders and I got about 30 fps, though there was enough stutter to make it feel worse than that. After yesterday’s update, it took about 2 hours to rebuild the shaders and I had about 40 fps on the first launch, then it got progressively worse after each subsequent launch, to the point where I’m barely above 10 fps, and it still stutters.

I’ve tried Proton 5.13-1, and Proton 5.9-GE-5-ST to get past the "watch monitor" bugs. I get a higher FPS without GE, but movement feels slightly smoother with it, oddly enough. Vehicle movement feels frustratingly slow with either. I’ve also tried activating gamemode but didn’t notice any difference.

Based on protondb recommendations, my launch options are gamemoderun %command% DXVK_ASYNC=1 PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 -NoLauncher -NoStartupMovies -notexturestreaming -culture=en
My game settings are DX11, windowed and everything on low/off.

I feel like I should be getting better results based on my PC specs?

Edit: Going fullscreen seems to get rid of the choppiness, including for vehicle use.

Last edited by Salvatos on 12 November 2020 at 2:07 pm UTC
kokoko3k Nov 14, 2020
Quoting: SalvatosI was gifted the game recently so I’ve been trying to play it a few different ways and not getting great results. The first time I ran it, it took 10 minutes to build the shaders and I got about 30 fps, though there was enough stutter to make it feel worse than that. After yesterday’s update, it took about 2 hours to rebuild the shaders and I had about 40 fps on the first launch, then it got progressively worse after each subsequent launch, to the point where I’m barely above 10 fps, and it still stutters.

I’ve tried Proton 5.13-1, and Proton 5.9-GE-5-ST to get past the "watch monitor" bugs. I get a higher FPS without GE, but movement feels slightly smoother with it, oddly enough. Vehicle movement feels frustratingly slow with either. I’ve also tried activating gamemode but didn’t notice any difference.

Based on protondb recommendations, my launch options are gamemoderun %command% DXVK_ASYNC=1 PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 -NoLauncher -NoStartupMovies -notexturestreaming -culture=en
My game settings are DX11, windowed and everything on low/off.

I feel like I should be getting better results based on my PC specs?

Edit: Going fullscreen seems to get rid of the choppiness, including for vehicle use.
From what i've seen, disable texture streaming is really a bad idea unless you have a lot of vram (for sure 4GB are not enough, maybe 6 or 8, i don't know, i've 3...).
Use mangohud and check if you're hitting the limit.
Also Nvidia drivers are really bad in handling such low memory cases.
Salvatos Nov 15, 2020
Thanks for the tip! It adds a bit of stutter when loading in textures, but it does make loading maps faster and it nearly doubled my FPS (so I managed to bump up several settings while maintaining a comfortable increase).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.