Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
Anyone tried Borderlands 3 on Wine/Proton?
Salvatos commented on 14 September 2019 at 8:11 pm UTC

So I’m curious, I haven’t seen any reports of people buying Borderlands 3 on EGS and trying it through Wine or Proton. Not that I intend to buy it there anyhow, but it would be interesting to see how it runs in case we don’t get a port of this one.

ageres commented on 15 September 2019 at 3:52 am UTC

I can launch it, see 3D stuff in the main menu like in B2, tweak graphics settings, but when I start a new game or a performance test, it's nothing but black screen. The strange thing is that after I Alt+F4 it, I'm hearing game music for few seconds. I heard it's because of video files. The game apparently uses that stupid Microsoft way to run .mp4 files like in Resident Evil 2 remake and some other games.

ageres commented on 15 September 2019 at 7:58 am UTC

I managed to get it working.
1. Download https://github.com/z0z0z/mf-install and https://github.com/z0z0z/mf-installcab
2. Run install-mf.sh and install-mf-64.sh (the latter will download 1GB Windows update as well)
3. Copy mfplat.dll from mf-install/system32/ to Borderlands 3 game folder.

I had been playing for about 20 minutes, everything works fine so far. But I heard the game can corrupt save files, so it would probably be a good idea to wait for some patches for now.

Ehvis commented on 15 September 2019 at 9:24 am UTC

ageresI had been playing for about 20 minutes, everything works fine so far. But I heard the game can corrupt save files, so it would probably be a good idea to wait for some patches for now.

While it is good to know that it works. I would never consider the Epic Store for any purchase, so waiting for patches not a problem at all. Also, it was rumoured to have some pretty invasive drm, so that would have to be removed as well. I'm actually still hoping that an official port might happen so we wouldn't have to deal with all that.

ageres commented on 15 September 2019 at 11:31 am UTC

EhvisI would never consider the Epic Store for any purchase, so waiting for patches not a problem at all. Also, it was rumoured to have some pretty invasive drm, so that would have to be removed as well. I'm actually still hoping that an official port might happen so we wouldn't have to deal with all that.
True, but there are people who want to play now, without waiting for six months for a Steam release or whatever it would take for a native Linux port, if it happens at all. AFAIK, there is only Denuvo in B3 (at least it opens Denuvo website when I try to launch the game without Epic Games Launcher.)

Control is DRM-free in EGS, so if you prefer your games DRM-free, it would probably be even a better choiсe than the Steam version. It can be run without EGL, and that's what I do because that piece of shit consumes 20-25% of my CPU power by doing nothing, so I have much better performance with EGL turned off. Borderlands 3, on the other hand, is just Borderlands 2 with better textures, so it runs ok even with EGL.

sr_ls_boy commented on 15 September 2019 at 11:19 pm UTC

Do the cut scenes play?

kokoko3k commented on 16 September 2019 at 10:41 am UTC

ageresI managed to get it working.
1. Download https://github.com/z0z0z/mf-install and https://github.com/z0z0z/mf-installcab
2. Run install-mf.sh and install-mf-64.sh (the latter will download 1GB Windows update as well)
3. Copy mfplat.dll from mf-install/system32/ to Borderlands 3 game folder.

I had been playing for about 20 minutes, everything works fine so far. But I heard the game can corrupt save files, so it would probably be a good idea to wait for some patches for now.
Thanks!
How's the performances?

ageres commented on 16 September 2019 at 11:39 am UTC

About 60 fps at high settings. Slightly less on the highest, more on low.

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Proton, Pleb
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts